I just got my first Mac!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Man In Black, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Man In Black macrumors member

My neighbor just got herself a brand new iMac, so she gave me her old iMac. For a long time, Ive been a diehard-mac-fan-who-doesnt-own-a-mac. Now I have my very own mac! And its newer than my ancient 200Mhz PC, so hopefully that will mean its faster!.

So, its pretty intuitive. I got the hang of the basics in a few seconds of browsing the apple bar.

However, I have a few questions.

It looks like an Indigo iMac to me. It is slot loading. Says its running Mac OS 9.2. The Model Number is M5521 Theres two letters after it, CH. Can anyone tell me what the CPU speed is on this iMac? And how do I find out the Hard Disk size, and amount of RAM?

I have the monitor set at 800x600, however, I would rather use 1024x768. But when I set it to that resolution, there is DEFINITE flickering. Any way to fix that?

Can it be upgraded to OS X? Both Safari and Firefox require OS X. If not, is there an older version of Safari or Firefox that will work on my version of Mac OS?

[EDIT]
    System Profiler says 350Mhz, 7GB HD.

I see 1028x768 uses 75Khz. That frequency kills my eyes, so I guess Im stuck with 800x600
    [/EDIT]

Thanks! Im really enjoying the initial Mac experience! A few notes: I took to the single button Pro Mouse immediatly, no problems. I love the way I dont have cables strung all over, since this is all in one. I like the way the mouse plugs into the keyboard. I love the feel of the keyboard when typing. And OMG, I love how cool this Mac looks! Not as cool as a G4 or G5, but hey! It rocks!

2. Man In Black thread starter macrumors member

I just found the System Profiler and it says its a 350Mhz, & 7GB HD.

Also, I guess I cant use it at 1028x768 because it is set at 75Hz, and the flickering at that refresh rate would kill my eyes.

3. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Congrats on the Mac, from a fellow TCF member! :D

4. Eluon macrumors regular

welcome

Welcome to the club, man!

What a nice system you have there. I don't know how to find the RAM amount on OS 9. I am sure one of the peeps on this board could help you out. That is a good computer you have there... especially for free! I had the exact same one and put OSX on it. RAM is a big factor in the OSX experience.

Any more questions just feel free to ask!

5. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

ok...

OK: the System Profiler should tell you how much physical RAM is there too. you can turn virtual memory on, i found it helps (but more RAM always good and sticks for that thing should be pennycents.

look at the Control Panels, you'll figure out what they do, it's pretty self explanatory.

be careful if you put shittins of fonts on it, they'll slow you up if you don't use some sort of type manager.

you may want to think about putting os 8.6.4 on it, thats prolly the best of teh Classics IMHO.

have fun.....

6. Man In Black thread starter macrumors member

Wouldnt it be lacking in a lot of features compared to 9.2? Besides, I dont want to have to pay to get a even older operating system

:D

BTW, I think it sucks that I gotta be stuck with a archaic browser just because im not using OS X. I can understand why its gotta be that way though.

I downloaded Opera 6.03 and its better, its still old but its way better than that crap IE 5 :eek: However, no browser I could find that works with OS 9 has tabbed browsing, which stinks, cause I am addicted to tabbed browsing.

[edit]well, opera 6.03 does[/edit]

I love this mac! Im willing to put up with its shortcomings just because its a Mac. Any other computer Nah. :cool:

7. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

If you up the ram you should be able to run OSX and then run safari.