I Just Got My First Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MoonCow, Sep 23, 2006.

1. MoonCow macrumors member

hey everybody, a few weeks ago i bought my first mac computer which is a white 1.83 ghz macbook. and i love almost everything about it so far.

one thing i don't like however, is the mouse!! the mighty mouse i bought has some stupid feature where if you move it a certain speed, it goes extremely slow, and there are liek 4 different speeds, and it's hard to control the thing when the speeds are constantly changing

you all know about this right?

well how can i turn it off?

thanks ^.^

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You can adjust mouse settings in the Keyboard and Mouse section of System Preferences.

And congratulations! :)

3. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

noooo there is no option to disable it
    i've checked many many many many times trust me

it's like, if i move the mouse fast, it clears a good bit of space, but then if i move it at medium speed, the pointer doesn't match my actual movements, and then there is a point where it just starts to go super slow, which really annoys me

there is no possible way i can draw anything like that, and playing games where you need mouse accuracy is out of the picture becuase the speeds are constantly changing >.<

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't know if you are using a wired or wireless mighty mouse. i would say if you are using the wireless one, that could be the cause of your problems.

bluetooth is still a relatively new technology and some of the kinks have yet to be worked out. my BT mouse (not a MM) sometimes slows but it is only briefly - it works perfectly probably 99% of the time.

if you are not using a wireless mouse, i would say take it back to an Apple store and show them and they could either give you one that doesn't suck (isn't broken) or you could exchange it for a wired mouse (plus some money).

good luck.

5. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

i don't think you understand what i mean

mice for windows computer constantly go at the same speed no matter how fast you are moving your hand, but this mouse seems to go slower the slower i move the mouse, and that is totally stupid

isn't it like that with yours as well? also: the trackpad has the same deal, except trackpad style

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. I use Windows all the time and OSX all the time too. At home I have wireless mice, (BTMM for Mac, Optical for Windows), and they appear to work exactly the same way for me. When I move my hand slowly, the cursor moves less on both systems, but this is good because I require more accuracy, if I move it faster, it's because I am less after accuracy and more after a fast movement. Either way, it works fine.

At work I use MM and corded mice for Windows too, all seem to respond equally well when the sensitivity settings are adjusted for my personal tastes. If you think that mice cursors on Windows move the same with both slow and fast hand movements, perhaps something is wrong with your mouse for that. I haven't come across that response from any mouse in the last 5+ years.

7. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Instead of saying "you don't understand" why don't you try and explain it so we can try to help?

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

Can you please try to explain your issue again? I don't understand your problem either.

10. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

obviously the mouse is supposed to move slow if you move the mouse slow, but the speed ins't supposed to go TWICE as slow as you're moving it. i've tested this before..

if i move the mouse about an inch on the pad, as slow as possible, it moves like a centimeter on the screen. but if i move the mouse an inch on the mouse pad a little bit faster, it moves about 2 inches on the screen

if i am drawing a picture, the speeds are constantly going fast slow fast slow fast slow, and it's impossible to draw anything good.

you understand now right? with my old mouse, the microsoft one on my PC downstairs, the actual speed on the screen is always the same and doesn't change with how fast or slow i move the mouse.

11. ezkimo macrumors regular

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't understaaaand.

Edit: Oh OK. Just looked at the above link. Still doesn't make any sense to me, as I've never noticed any change at all, and I do a lot of Illustrator work.

13. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

So, what happens when you plug your old mouse into the new MacBook? Same issue?

14. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

okay i just plugged the old mouse in.. and it's perfectly normal..

but i want to get my superior mighty mouse to act like this :confused: :(

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

You never did say whether you have a wired or wireless mighty mouse.

16. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

Thanks for the links. I was using USB Overdrive myself on my mini.

similar thread a few hours earlier than this one and still got fewer replies :D
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=236711

17. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

i think that guy was talking about something different

my mouse has a wire

18. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

This is definitely what the OP is describing. I happen to like the acceleration as well. I think that if the OP gives it a chance they might like it.

I have SteerMouse for my MX1000 and it allows very precise control over the acceleration curve (also for scrolling! very nice). I'd suggest that, or USB Overdrive which I think also does it. You know, I think there are some free utilities that can change it too.

19. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i know exactly what you mean
    i switched about 2 or 3 months ago and i was wondering why the mouse was so slow compared to winblows, but you can't change it. you will get used to it. now i think winblows is to fast :D

20. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I just discovered this myself, but i actually enjoy it b/c I'm on a huge desktop monitor. This way I can move around in small spaces but quickly move across the entire desktop just by moving quickly.

21. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

but you can't draw anything or use a program or game that requires precise movements!

22. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

On the contrary- the Mac mouse movement is better tuned for accuracy.

23. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Generally, something like a mouse/trackpad that a person uses all day is going to be very subjective, I even like the iMac hockey-puck (don't hate me!).

There's a good reason for mouse acceleration - it's very difficult to find one constant speed that suits all kinds of usage. If the speed is too high, you can zoom across the screen, but the mouse is too sensitive to easily click on small controls or draw accurately. If the speed is too low, the accuracy improves but it's difficult to move quickly across screen (or turn quickly, in gaming). Having a good acceleration curve makes it easy to have both accuracy at slow speeds and a high top speed.

24. MoonCow thread starter macrumors member

but it's always unpredictable. if it's constantly the same speed then you actually have CONTROL over it, instead of it being unpredictable and changing all the time, i can't imagine actually doing good in any FPS with this kind of mouse, and forget drawing

25. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

:rolleyes:

You need to get used to it. It is much better for 'drawing'. It is only unpredictable to you because you are not used to it.