I just installed Jaguar 6C85...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Zenith, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

and I have to say I'm really dissapointed about the speed and snappiness. :( Maybe it's just my specific Mac (733, no L3, GF2MX), but resizing, scrolling, OpenGL, most applications and changing between windows is painfully slow, and in most cases SLOWER than 10.1.5... Photoshop (which is a carbon app, I assume) is about the same speed as in 10.1.5, IE (carbon too) is slower on rendering and the GUI is really slow. I tried Quake and got 30 fps avg. Almost one third of what i get in 10.1.5 (I'll have to test OpenGL in different games since it could just be a Q3 problem). Resizing of windows is slow as usually, and even slower that 10.1.5, and selecting icons insinde a window with click-hold-drag results in an inresponsive greyed-out-square which lags seconds behind where you move the mouse around...

Well, that was about all the BAD news.

The GOOD news is Ink, Audio MIDI setup, some other new utilities (Bluetooth file exchange, ODBC Administrator, etc.), window dragging (smooth as never seen before), popup dialogs, genie-effect, zooming windows, REALLY fast startup and login (!), application startup times and some new preferences here and there.

But all in all, I'm dissapointed with the allround speed, and I really hope the problem is just my comp. If anyone others here on the boards have installed 6C85 as well, please report!

2. Edge100 macrumors 68000

I have heard that 6C85 is a very slow build. Lots of debugging code still present. Some of the previous builds seemed much faster, by all reports.

As always, remember this a pre-release build and should not be seen as anything close to the final product

3. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Zenith:
    This seems a little odd as far as I understood some of those things were much snappier in previous builds. You mentioned some additional stuff, what is it? Could be bygs from these additions clogging up the works.

4. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

I really hope 6C85 is a slow build. It's faster than the dev seed, but several things (like window resizing and changing between windows) hasn't been improved at all (in this build..). I tried RtCW and it seems like the OpenGL problem only was a Q3 problem...

Well... I'll have to put the 10.2 builds aside now and wait for the GM. I'm sure it will be a great update despite my unlucky experience with these early builds.

I noticed some bugs in 6C85, but not nearly as many as in the dev seed. And there seem to be a shutdown/sleep problem. My Mac used a minute to either go to sleep or shutdown...

It was fun to try out Ink, though. My handwriting is the only problem here so I'll stick to my keyboard... ;) Let's just hope for an Apple iPad or iWalk in the near future! (PS: don't let this thread turn out to be another iWalk rumour thread... I'm worried about Eye... :D)

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

As far as I know '92 is the current build...might try that.:)

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

6C85

I like how Apple introduced the new bootup screen in 6C85 which is fixed in 6C87. I have the same machine as the original poster and i don't think it's that slow, I played my Elite Force game which is based on Q3 and it seemed to be smoother.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I hope it's just the build, that's the exact same comp I've got, low-end MWNY 2001 Quicksilver

8. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

Re: 6C85

The bootup screen better be fixed! :p In 6C85 it looks like some ol' Win95 4bit graphics... :D
    RtCW is btw also based on the Q3 engine, and it played smoothly in 6C85. ;)

I think I'm going to get a PC Radeon 8500 and flash it. I'm tired of the GF2MX. But since I'm moving out from home now, I'm not sure I got the money to buy a new gfx card. And maybe the lack of L3 cache is some of the reason why my Mac runs Jaguar slow...

9. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: I just installed Jaguar 6C85...

iginally posted by Zenith [/i]
    and I have to say I'm really dissapointed about the speed and snappiness. :( Maybe it's just my specific Mac (733, no L3, GF2MX), but resizing, scrolling, OpenGL, most applications and changing between windows is painfully slow, and in most cases SLOWER than 10.1.5... Photoshop (which is a carbon app, I assume) is about the same speed as in 10.1.5, IE (carbon too) is slower on rendering and the GUI is really slow. I tried Quake and got 30 fps avg. Almost one third of what i get in 10.1.5 (I'll have to test OpenGL in different games since it could just be a Q3 problem). Resizing of windows is slow as usually, and even slower that 10.1.5, and selecting icons insinde a window with click-hold-drag results in an inresponsive greyed-out-square which lags seconds behind where you move the mouse around...

Well, that was about all the BAD news.

The GOOD news is Ink, Audio MIDI setup, some other new utilities (Bluetooth file exchange, ODBC Administrator, etc.), window dragging (smooth as never seen before), popup dialogs, genie-effect, zooming windows, REALLY fast startup and login (!), application startup times and some new preferences here and there.

But all in all, I'm dissapointed with the allround speed, and I really hope the problem is just my comp. If anyone others here on the boards have installed 6C85 as well, please report!
    [/QUOTE]

you are either:

(a) upgrading from an older build (MAJOR Slowdown)
    (b) upgrading from 10.1 (Partial Slowdown)
    (c) have a really bad video card - unsopported, or old (Minor Slowdown)
    You must perform a fresh install, which is especially important when working with betas.. otherwise i can see your system running really slow...

6C85 isnt especially slower tnan other builds.. it is a TINY bit slower, however, it seems much mroe reliable and a whole lot faster than 10.1.5...

Part of the whole beta process is seeing what works -- and things like upgrading from 10.1.5 definately need to be worked out... This is one of the hardest things to tackle as a Developer...

10. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

6C48...

...is fast. Very fast. Something's wrong with either 6C85, your install of 6C85, or your computer. Whatever it is, it won't be in 10.2 final.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

6C92 screams...even without QuartzGL hardware!:eek: :cool:

12. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

lol, and I was happy with the boost I noticed in build 6C35 :)

Bill

13. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have build 6C35 and 48 and 35 is way faster, don't know why, its just is

14. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

15. big macrumors 65816

big

drastik- I'm in Nashville all the time, we could meet and I'll buy you a beer...

secondly, I am running a B&W G3, I was hoping Jaguar would be much better at speed. do you think apple would purposefully slow down your system on "older" macs so you would buy new?

third, I've heard you need to format & do a clean install for Jaguar, would the update (without formatting) be just as good?

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Upgrading has worked fine....formatting is not necessary.

I've seen it on B&W G3s and it flies, no complaints there.

17. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

18. big macrumors 65816

big

>I've seen it on B&W G3s and it flies, no complaints there

FAT! I can only just sit back and wait, I was going to buy new, thought it sounds like I can wait until the G5

19. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

Lol! I won the still avatar contest and was allowed to upload my own avatar! See my signatur. ;)

I booted up 6C85 today, and for some reason; it's a whole LOT faster than yesterday..!

Everything i mentioned yesterday is faster! And faster than 10.1. Only resizing is a bit slow, but still... I could live with this build. It's really stable, and now the speed is really ok. Q3 runned great today, and maybe a bit faster than 10.1.

firewire2001: Nope, I did a clean install on a seperate partition, and I've got a GF2MX with 32 MB, so that's not the problem. But hey... there's no problem anymore! :D

Horray!

And all those comments about the other builds being faster than 6C85! I can't wait for GM! Which may be 6C92.... Maybe not. But it's not far away now. :)

20. big macrumors 65816

big

Do you think upgrading my video cards will help run 10.2 quicker?

21. stromie952 macrumors regular

A lot of the system is now processed through the video card (Quartz Extreme), so yes an upgrade would almost definitely help proformance.

As long as your machine has at least 32 MB of VRAM, it will take full advantage of Quartz Extreme.

But, more is always better ;)

22. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

Something I've discovered in Jaguar and even in the dev preview is the Java application speed improvement. Applications such as Limewire is MUCH faster in Jaguar than it is in 10.1!

23. mozez macrumors member

powerbook pismo

after reading all of the quasrtz extreme talk and what systems will be supported and what not, i was truely pissed thinking my laptop was left in the dust, i have an 8meg rage pro moble. i can't upgrade it either, god i wish i could, i'd spend 500 to upgrade that video card, but anyway. i have been going through the builds, i'm using 6c87 right now, and i gotta say, it's wicked fast, i didn't think my pismo would see any change, or might be slower, but i can't imagine going back to 10.1, it's too slow, jaguar is just my dream come to life in osx. when i bought my laptop, osx was first coming out, and i was kinda mad that it ran so slowly and seemed kinda unusable. now, however, it's all good, and this build works great, i really want to try 6c92, so if anyone knows where to get it, i don't mind paypalling like 5 or 10 dollars for it, email me.

24. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

There are some wierd things with OS X and installs. Whenever I install a new version or upgrade I always restart twice. If I don't, there is inevitably some small problem or speed hit.

Strange.

Taft

25. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'm still a little unclear on how the quartz extreme will work with my "unsupported" rage128/16meg (imac500). the apple website says that much of the interface is processed as opengl (which i would assume would go through my graphics card like a game) but that only radeons and gforces are "supported" cards. will my old card reap any benifit from quartz extreme? i'm glad to hear that mozez has seen such wonderful improvements on his similar systems.