I just installed panther...now my dock is gone!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by taeclee99, Oct 26, 2003.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

When my desktop comes up the dock appears then starts flashing and then disapears. I was using transparent dock under 10.28. Maybe that messed the dock up during the upgrade. Ho do I reinstall the dock only? Any suggestions?
    I would hate to wipe everything and reinstall panther.

TIA

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

TransparentDock has done this to a lot of Panther machines. A friend of mine cured it by deleting his dock files and placing new ones in their place (had to use the Terminal to bypass permissions, but I don't see why it wouldn't work from the Get Info window). Maybe you could delete and reinstall from a package on the Panther disc? If not, PM me and I can send you a working dock file.

Dan

3. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Ok...ANY UNSUPPORTED OS MODS ARE PRONE TO CAUSING ISSUES!

Sorry, but if you're going to hack apart your OS, then you need to expect stuff like this. It's not Apple's fault, because they have no reason to make sure every OS mod works smoothly. In fact, I bet it annoys the hell out of them that their hard work is being messed with.

Please note that this is not directed at you in particular, this is just a broad statement for people to consider when performing hacks and tweaks. I'm sorry that you lost your dock and I hope that you're able to fix the issue.

4. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I figured it out. It was Application Switcher Menu (ASM) that was the culprit not Transparent dock. Once I uninstalled ASM...my dock came back. Thanks Alset for your help.

5. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

dude.

chill....... out....... no one blamed apple for anything.

whoa, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

6. neut macrumors 68000

neut

can't blame him though.

people will whine here before investigating it themselves, but they'll install third party software to hack their OS without asking any questions.

OS hacks are bad news.