I just made a new switcher!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by im_to_hyper, Aug 11, 2005.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

Aug 25, 2004
    Glendale, California, USA
    I don't know if this is under the correct topic, but it seems to be a general comment so I will post it here anyway.

A friend of the family who I haven't seen for about 4 months stopped in where I work yesterday to ask about getting a new computer and what I would reccomend. He has a Compaq Presario back from a long time ago that came preinstalled with Windows 98. It was always booting up into Safe Mode and BSODing all the time, and he was getting fed up.

Anyway, he said he had gone to Dell and they had a nice system, blah blah for $499 but he really didn't need a new screen and printer and didn't want to hassle with rebates and preferred to go with someone "local".

I told him to go downtown to SimplyMac and ask about the Mac mini and to give me a call when he buys it so I can come set it up for him. An hour later I'm done with work, he called to let me know that he had bought it. I called him back to let him know that I would be coming down the next morning to set it up for him and would bring along a new keyboard and mouse for him to have, since his old ones wouldn't work.

This morning (the 11th) I drove 15 miles to his town, hooked it up, configured the internet and Mail settings, and he was ready to go! He was totally amazed by how small the computer was and by how easy it was to set everthing up.

Now, this guy knows nothing about computers. In Windows 98 he would "X out" of programs when he closes them. To him, the internet is the "E" on his desktop (which was IE 4.0, by the way). This non-computer-literate individual who types with one finger sat down and learned how to use his new OS X computer in about an hour.

Of course, I had to use little sayings like "click the compass to go on an internet safari" and "just click the stamp to open the envelope to read your mail" and corny things like that, but amazingly he remembered. He was very worried about viruses and spyware since that was his main problem on the old computer and it was hard to convince him that none exist for his Mac.

Now, he can surf, check his e-mail and print his work schedule and chat with his brother, cousin, and friend from work in iChat. (They use AIM) The printer was recognized immediately and the only thing that doesn't work is the Logitech webcam, even after installing the Mac software it still doesn't recognize the camera.

My only qualm was that the authorized reseller only had the old minis with 256 MB RAM and Panther and wouldn't upgrade to Tiger for free, though he did offer to install the RAM upgrade for free.

Well, just thought I would share a successful switch story, as I have never actually convinced another person to totally switch to a Mac before! His new Mac is nicer than mine!

Now, he is going to show it off to everyone who comes over and try to convince his friends who need new computers to buy one of these. Remember folks, this is a 40 year old man working for a paper mill. If a Mac is that easy for people like him who know nothing about computers and are concerned about working, think about how much good word of mouth like this will do!

For those of you who read through this entire thing, thanks! :) :rolleyes: :D

Please post your switcher stories here as well! Maybe if the name of the topic could be changed to "share your switcher stories"......
  2. MacVM macrumors member

Aug 1, 2005
    Aw, that's cute! Congrats on switching someone! I have to say that story gives me hope for when my 'book comes! :p
  3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Switching someone is always nice but from my experience more times than not the PC users dont even want to know about switching,

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Yes, my bf is quite sore w/ me. He'd kill me if he knew I was typing this... :eek: he just received a new HPdv4150 laptop... whoever installed Windows XP pro messed up the install so the computer wouldn't even work out of hte box! Then, Windows Media Player won't natively search for a CD's tags upon insertion. Last night he was chatting online w/ an HP rep for over an hour the result? that genius rep told him to view a website which had no solution to the problem... It kills me that that darned machine won't work right and that it has consequences to our spending time together. Psh.
  5. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 25, 2004
    See, what you should do is discreetly switch his HP for a 15" PB... see what he says:)

Which is why word-of mouth from fellow non-computer-literates will come in handy. Knowing the way he likes to talk to other people and tell stories, he will make his old computer out to be the spawn of Satan and this new one is God's gift to mankind... and everyone he works with will want to buy one.
  6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    I switched my gf recently. She abhorred Macs because the PowerMacs she used at school gave her troubles. After a few black eyes, she came around. Now she has a mini.

Just kidding about the black eye part. :p
  7. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    The average PC user is very ignorant to switch... I had a mac-pc debate with a friend the otehr day. His arguments include:
    "you're a d!ck" x5
    "macs are gay" x2

Almost funny at the way he has no idea what he's missing.

But congrats on switching your friend :)
  8. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    My favorite is a friend of mine who says, "Macs just aren't used widely enough for me to be comfortable. I want to be using what the majority uses."

Really wanted me to use the old parent line, "If ALL of your friends jumped off a cliff..." but I resisted.

Still, getting others to successfully switch IS one of the coolest feelings!
    Especially when they end up spreading the gospel of Apple to more people...and the flock just grows...
  9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    I also get stuff like that at school.
    "Why do you have a Mac at school?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "I mean, you might break it"
    "So PC laptops have a special forcefield that stops them from breaking?"
    "Well, no, but it's really expensive"
    "No it wasn't"
    "How much was it, then?"
    "Just over £1000"
    "Yeah, well, that's because it was the sh*t one"
    "No, it's just below the top end"
    "Yeah, well..."

And (to threadstarter), good on yer mate. I have... 1, plus 2 people about to get iBooks.
  10. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 25, 2004
    God, people annoy me. I posted this in the Appletalk forum over at iexbeta.com.....

Quote from someone there:

11. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002

flock? hehe. its more of an endangered species with hope.
  12. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004

more like a bunch of jaguars, panthers, and tigers. RAR! :D
  13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Ordered and new iBook for student on Wednesday. First Apple for her. Book arrived this afternoon via FedEx. Open, plug in, play. Now calibrating battery. All's well.
  14. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    Since I switched last year I have managed to convince six mates to come on over as well! They all love their new toys!
    I think so far the list of their toys include...

far too many iPods to mention...
    3 x 15" PB
    1 x 12" PB
    1 x 14" iBook
    1 x 20" iMac
    1 x Dual 2.0 PM

One mate already has two significant hardware toys (for those who didn't think my list added up!)
  15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I switched someone just yesterday. I went to uni with my iBook, a guy in one of my classes saw it, started complaining about his Toshiba, then asked if it ran Office. I flipped the lid, opened up Word, and he literally put his chunky contraption back in its bag and followed me to the nearest Apple reseller where he bought a new iBook (I was already going there anyway to get a new mouse and keyboard). The whole process took about half an hour. :)

I can't really take the credit though, he just needed to be reassured that Macs aren't the antique and incompatible machines most PC nerds make them out to be.
  16. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Interestingly, I got just the opposite.
    "Ooh, you have a Mac"
    "That computer's sweet"
    "You're so cool"
    etc. :D

Funniest was when I was just using it in class once, and someone was looking over my shoulder. "If that was Windows, it would've just crashed!" (I think I'd moved and renamed a file that I had open, which of course is perfectly OK in OS X) :D
  17. reberto macrumors 65816

Jul 20, 2005
    G5 hata' no more

My friend HATED mac's...until I took him to a Apple Store. I drug him to the G5's and after about 2 minutes he said "I'm done, i'm takeing one home!" Now he has a dual 2.0 ghz G5 with a Dell monitor. Now he has to get a Apple display.
  18. jc27 macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    I've switched 1, and helped another along (he was considering a mac.)

One of my friend's father's tech consultant talked him out of a mac and into a dell. "Their only good on networks." Huh?

Before our school switched to OSX, its was nothing but trash talk. Now, my friend spent our first period where we "got used to OS X" dragging things on and off the dock to hear the poof sound. She loved the genie effect even more.
  19. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2003
    Milky Way
    Yes I can, and no, you can't. Sorry!

I switched about a year and half ago (15" 1.25 PB) and in that time i have single-handedly managed to switch

1. My mother
    2. My grandmother
    3. My aunt
    4. My uncle
    5. Two of my friends
    6. Three cousins
    7. Entire church network ( 5 computers )
    8. 2 staff members from church

I gave the staff at church a small tutorial on how to use the new Apple computers, and after having transferred the existing data over to the new computers, I showed them what a Macintosh computer is capable of. I showed the equivalent procedures and applications on the Mac as opposed to Windows. I then showed them the power of Spotlight.

Immediately questions arose.

Them: "Can I do that on my computer at home?"
    Me: "Is it a computer with Windows on it?"
    Them: "Yes"
    Me: "Then, no."

Dasboard, same questions, same answer. Expose, iLife, Mail, iChat AV, Smart Folders, Automator, same thing. They were even in awe of the simplicity of the Finder. I know some of you hate it, but seriously, coming from the complex Window's side of things, the simplicity of the Finder is a welcome feature.

After that little tutorial, my aunt, mother, and two other church members switched.

To be fair though, I flaunt my Powerbook in front of anyone who will look.
  20. cbr600rr macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2005
    i was "switched" by a guy that managed to switch my roommate at the time and my girlfriend. i was using linux at the time and not really in love with it... saw the command line on OS X 10.0 beta and was hooked!
  21. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Steve owes me dinner.

I think I converted like 20 people last I checked. ;)
  22. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    Yeah, well, I haven't really converted anyone totally yet. But, it doesn't help that almost everyone in my major uses mac already lol. My mother is going to be switching to a mac soon, but she already likes them, my dad doesn't hehe. My brother is using a Power Mac 7300 200mhz w/40mb ram for his web browsing machine. He's on dialup so it's actually no faster/slower than anything else really. Hurray for Mac OS 8.6!
  23. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    I just got two people to switch. 2 of my friends just bought ibooks for college.
  24. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've switched three people so far. They've all thanked me profusely. :)
  25. atakordie macrumors member

Mar 31, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    It's fun to see the soon-to-be switchers realize their foolhardiness. Even I, an Apple hater until about 2 years ago, was convinced to switch in a matter of minutes after being shown OS X on a widescreen iMac. My friend wasn't even trying to switch me, he was just explaining how to use the lab computer I was at. (iTunes was a big plus for me.)

All those years of hatred for lost layers and printing problems and such when using Pagemaker in OS 6 during high school yearbook just melted away in seconds. Since then, I've been responsible for switching my brother and a friend of mine...still working on my dad though.