I just made my first webpage

Discussion in 'Community' started by Powerbook G5, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Nothing fancy, just wanted to get my photos published in the easiest possible manner to show to my friends. Let me know what you think.

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Awesome! What'd you think of Barcelona? That's awesome you got to see a bullfight!! When I lived in Sevilla, I waited until the last fight of the season. I sat in the arena for 3 hours only to have it rained out. I thought it was funny, though..... especially to see the the butcher outside the place, kicking the tires on his truck. He was hoping to make some Rabo de Toro, me thinks...

Anyhow, that's great! Keep it up!

3. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Barcelona was really nice. It was a very artistic and colorful city with lots of friendly people. I was actually surprised in general since I had spent 6 months prior in Italy and France and after heading to Spain, I noticed the people were just a lot more warm and inviting of visitors.

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

So apart from Barcelona, you did Rome, Florence, Pisa, the "Pont du Gard", the "Cinque Terre", Nîmes, ... What am I missing and where do you prefer?

5. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I did a few other cities, but that was mostly it. I liked Rome and Florence; Rome because I studied Latin for 4 years so I got to see the city finally and Florence because of all the history. Overall, I liked Spain for the experience and friendliness of the people, although the siesta time always made it difficult to get to the bank or eat when you want to since everything was closed during the middle of the day.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a very nice photo album Powerbook G5. Thank you for sharing. A nice use of .Mac. Maybe it will cause a switcher among your friends.

7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Siesta rocks! If you want to find places open during that time you have to head into the business centers or the touristy places. They generally have a place or two to grab a bite.

One of my favorites in Sevilla was an Irish pub across from the cathedral. Irish, but they served the best damn Spanish food I had from a restaurant!

Plus they made a wicked rum and coke for about 150 ptas.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Great pics PBG5!

No offense, but one thing that made me giggle is how you called the pics Europe*.jpg. It always gets me how Americans (not all of course) refer to Europe as a whole, Europe is made of many different Nations (as everyone well knows) but when you hear an American on TV or whatever it is very often said that they are going to "Europe" for their "vacation", rather than the specific country. Anyway, as I say, not criticizing or anything...just an observation...I'll shut up now!

9. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I love the pics, but I do agree that a little more description in the titles would be helpful. Good job overall.

10. Freakk123 macrumors regular

11. jaesk8er macrumors member

jaesk8er

I have a question a little off topic but how did you get so many picts on your page? When ever i try to export from iphoto it only lets me put up 45picts I think??? Did you export from iphoto or manualy put them up????

Thanx

12. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I know, but I did a batch rename under photoshop because my digital camera just names them a jumble of weird characters and I don't have time to go in and rename 100 pictures when I can just click batch rename and type in one word. I'm just the typical lazy American like that, I guess. ;)

13. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I just uploaded my folder of pictures onto iDisk, then when I went into the website editor after selecting a picture frame style, I selected the folder on my iDisk and it did the rest automatically for me. All I had to do was add the title and click publish. I was beyond shocked when I realized I had just made the page in about 30 seconds.

14. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

just browsing around and saw your thread.... Looks like you hade a fun time... (personally too many pics on one page for me to take in, maybe if they were more sorted. don't know if .mac does that or not, like break down the trip into locations... idk ... thats just me).

As for the european thing.... ehh.... (bear in mind, I have never made it that far outside of US borders as Europe) When somone from europe or any other nation for that matter comes to America (or the states), they don't say, I am going to New York, or Ohio, or Iowa, it's just America. While granted, this is true, but as different as one nation is to the next in Europe is about the same as the States of America. Anyone will tell you that someone from Kentucky is most definatly different from someone from California. That someone from Alabama is different from someone from Maine.

I guess Americans as a whole lump all the nations of Europe together and just think of them as states with out really thinking about it. And when we need to be specific then we say the nation by name....

But isn't that what a visitor to the US would do. Say they are going on a vacation to America, but America as we all know is not a place, rather a group of places. I would say it is a common error in logic and speach, not just one exibited by Americans.

(no downing intended if it seemed like I was, I rather enjoyed writing this, made me think)

15. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I was thinking the same thing, as my girlfriend's roommate is from France and she refers to the US as "America" and not really a specific state or country within the Americas. What it really comes down to is my laziness when thinking about going through and editing the names of 100 pictures to be more specific. Perhaps I will do that later when I don't have 2 papers to finish and 3 midterms to study for this next week.

All being said, I made the page because my girlfriend is pretty big on photography and I wanted to show that I have somewhat decent photography skills, too, although she looks down on my preference of a digital camera, but that's just me. I'm not much of a picture guy, but I like to think I can take a nice looking photo when I want to. I figured I'd post the page here, too, since we have lots of international members whom these would be familiar to and some domestic members who have never seen these places, so why not share the link. The next place I'd love to visit is Australia and New Zealand. I just hope that someday I'll have the money to do a trip around the world and see different aspects of our planet since it's so much different than the usual "look and feel" of our backyards and cities that we are all used to.

16. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

If you're visiting multiple countries that are all in Europe, then it's logical to say you're touring Europe. It's a freaking continent.

17. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Nice pics! I will be going to England (notice I didn't say Europe ;) ) in a few weeks for the first time.

I hope you had a good time! :)

18. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I just did a quick update of my page, I added titles to my pictures, but they are still real basic for now. I'll go back and add better descriptions when I have the time.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your first trip to England, MacFan25. Will be looking forward to you pictures. How long will your trip last?

Thank you Powerbook G5, will be lloking forward to you updated descriptions.

20. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Nice pics buddy. High quality, good subjects. Hope you had fun in Europe.

Technically, though, you really arent allowed to take pictures of things in the Vatican, but hey? Its a free world.

21. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

They said it was okay as long as you didn't use a flash because it could somehow affect the paint on the walls and ceilings.