I just missed Bill Gates

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Koodauw, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Bill Gates was a surprise guest lecturer at a Comp Science class at the UW yesterday. While I am not a comp sci guy, it would of been cool to sit in on a lecture like that. I feel bad for anyone who skipped class that day.

Link

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've met him (and talked to him) twice. I've also got a Microsoft Mouse 2.0 (the "Dove Bar" mouse) with his signature on it, sealed up in a Ziploc bag. :)

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What can the mr im not a programmer I dont write code or really do anything Gates tell you about Computer Science other than what his company does for it?

5. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Wait. The UW -- that would be Madison... since your location is the #1 party school?

And given who the speaker was, they probably didn't miss too much. Oh well, I don't mind him. Too bad he didn't give away free stuff to the class.

EDIT: Idiot Me. Click link. Badger Herald. Yup.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Uhh.... Unlike Steve Jobs, Bill Gates can write code (though I am well aware he didn't write any of the code that he is most famous for).

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

Gates is trying to get more people into computer science. It's an uphill battle though - the tech job market has been lousy for years and doesn't seem to be getting much better.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He's also stopping at University of Waterloo in Canada, I believe. One time in the past, he has said it was his favourite university to recruit from. :)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe, but I'm quite certain that he hasn't written a line of actual code since the 1970s, and he wrote precious little then either. In any case I wouldn't use the ability to write computer code to be the mark of a real technologist. I think we all know it's really all about ideas. By that measure, Bill can't hold a candle to Steve as a technologist.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Bill Gates is a businessman, and a damn good one. Proven, in capitalism, by him being the richest american (is he still?).

HE IS NOT a computer science, engineering etc person at all.

Why he, in his expertise, should be allowed to speak in front of tech nerds who know 100x more than him, is beyond me. Just because he OWNS M$ dont make him the authority on computer technologies.

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Who do you think wrote the original game breakout then?
    Hint: Woz wrote the other hallf.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Cause people will listen to Bill Gates instead of a nerd who knows 100x then him. I know which one I would want to listen too ;)

jon

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Fine listen to that nasaly voice of his, listen with such intenseness that your ears bleed, eyes pop out and your mind explodes.

Id bring earplugs just so I wouldnt have to bear it.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Jobs may have DESIGNED Breakout, but he had nothing to do with coding it... and neither did Woz.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd argue that he's not much of a technologist, either. Have you ever (tried!) to read "The Road Ahead"?

He might be a good businessman, but so are lots of other people. They just aren't as lucky as Bill Gates has been.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Gates made some savvy business moves at a critical juncture in the develoment of the home computer as a mainstream appliance. He had enough technical knowledge to guess that the computer could be big and enough business knowledge to believe he could cash in on it.

Right place, right time. Nothing more or less. Most people don't get those kinds of opportunities.

You could probably say much the same for Jobs, though he is more of an idea person and charismatic figure than a businessman.

17. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Next time may I suggest.

:)

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You know, that's really not funny or cute.

19. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Oh come on, It was a little funny. And yes, it was meant as a joke, just like the "reload" comment from earlier in the thread.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Neither of them was funny or cute. I wonder what would happen if someone came in here and made a "joke" threat against Steve Jobs.

21. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

If it was obviously a joke then I would take it in that context. Sorry that I have such a sick twisted mind, I did not mean to offend.

22. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I'd tell them to lead him a little to compensate for the "reality distortion field"

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ah, then you'd need a .50BMG rifle with DU armor-piercing ammo, otherwise the rounds would just bounce off the reality distortion field. Or Steve would channel his RDF and send the bullets flying towards Bill Gates.

24. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Lighten up a little clay. That goes for this whole board!

25. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I often anticipate the day when BushCo gets wind of this "reality distortion field"
    and begins planning an invasion of Cupertino to "protect our freedom"