I Just Need To Vent......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jc0481, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Sorry for all CAPS but just a little upset and wanted your guys opinion on this. For the past two months I have told my father about all the benefits of using a mac like ichat AV, compatibility with Windows, very easy to use, no viruses or spyware, showed him demos on Apple's website on OS X (TEN). He went wow, that is nice, he even talked about where he was going to put the iMac (talked him into getting an Imac doesn't need a portable). A couple of days ago he tells me he got an HP Desktop computer. I was like WHAT?!?
    Why not a Mac?? Well he said "it's not my taste", I'd rather stick with Microsoft" I thought great he's brainwashed. Sorry just got to vent. I'll stick with my very productive mac. Thank you very much

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Sucks for those who have parents who know about computers :eek: ... I bought a Mac (Them: Whats a Mac?), and my parents just think its another computer. $2600 for my PB, to them, its just how much computers cost. If they knew everything (Or even moderately) about computers, I guess I might be using an HP too. :cool:

Though they do think my PB is unusually pretty for a computer :D

Sorry man.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's too bad.
    The next step should be to point out all of the problems he's having with his brand-new computer. Keep comparing it to Apple -- "Apple's don't need Norton" - What's 'freezing', I guess Apples don't do that" - "What widgets do you have, oh, wait, nevermind."

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Sorry to hear that... it's difficult to escape Microsofts grasp. Microsoft is "safe" and well known.

Lucky me, I guess. My parents don't know squat about computers, so they get what I give them.

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Just don't help them when they start gettin problems, and when the start complainin', just say "You should've got a Mac". :D

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My father recently had the opportunity to upgrade his laptop, I suggested a PowerBook however he was stuck with some software for work that is Windows only and was able to use a salary sacrifice through his employer that was only available from certain stores that needless to say are not Apple resellers.

It runs well, SP2 is stable, would have been very nice to have him get a PowerBook but all in all it just wasn't suited to his needs and he wasn't going to spend another $500 on Virtual PC. Also, my mum has to use this laptop too and changing to the Mac way of doing things would've put her technophobe mind into a massive tailspin.

So I empathise with your problem but hey, to each their own.

9. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Nice new computer Dubbz:p

Oh and it's nice to have enlightened parents, mac users for 15yrs

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Don't know what you're talking about :confused: ;)

Mine's been mac users for a couple of years now (well, my mom anyway, my dad doesn't touch 'em), but that's just because I never gave them any choice ;)

Life is good :D

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Everyone is empowered to make their own choice, be it based on cost, design or personal comfort zone. I do agree that the best leverage is the one cited by MontyZ. I availed myself of that strategy when my brother-in-law bought his first computer.

I told him that I do use a Windows machine at work, but would have no real clue as to how to handle problems that might arise. He listened carefully and said he was concerned about not having nearby support. He then purchased a 17" iMac in January 2005 and has been satisfied since.

Even though I am not using OS X yet, I was still able to go over and help him become familiar with iPhoto and make slideshows of his grandchildren. He became independent within a reasonable time and and has since burned DVD's to share with others, and also created many audio CD's from playlists in iTunes. He's quite happy.

12. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

you must be clicking on user cp alot lately:rolleyes:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dood! You're making too much sense!!!

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I know, I've had that problem lately.

Yay Steve, Boo Bill!!

Is that better?

15. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

OH this same thing happened to me!! I actually convinced my dad to buy the mac---he bought the cheapest one a few years ago (the emac). HE could never understand how to use it (he had the windows mental block because that is what he was used to at his job) and he bitched and complained for like 6 months (especially when he could not get on party poker online and play) GEEZ! Here is the funny thing....he ended up buying a DELL and calls me all the time asking for help and bitching about that computer. THe truth is he sucks at technology!! :D

But anyway, my old imac died one day so I ended up getting the emac as a gift from him which worked out for me!! :) Really frustrating when people do not listen to me about Apple!!

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As a professional tech support guy, I think you need to cut your father some slack. People get comfortable using a particular thing, and eventually it doesn't matter how much better some new thing might be... they stick with what they're used to.

This is more true for users who have difficulty learning how to do things on a computer... they get one paradigm in their head and they don't want to confuse themselves by moving to another.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I agree - to each their own.

I personally just feel a lot more "at home" using a Mac, mainly because of OS X. I use Windows all the time because of work reasons, and it's not bad at all. I just feel that most Windows people use Windows to run specific apps, whereas Mac people - or at least me - get more of a sense of the OS helping to integrate everything into a whole. I feel that work with OS X much more so than XP, which I feel allows me to simply run the software.

Then again, I use Terminal. I use AppleScript. I dig Fink. And so on.

The typical users, for whom email and web browsing are 95% or more of their computer usage, are fine with Windows. I personally think they'd be happier with OS X, but they're fine.

And Windows isn't a horrible spyware/virus pit if appropriate safeguards are used... although such safeguards tend to slow the systems down.

And, of course, there remains NO excuse for the pathetic ugly hack that is the Registry.

18. mac-er macrumors 65816

If someone kept saying that to me, I would eventually scream in their face to shut up about frickin' Apple.

Believe it or not, some people like Windows. Everyone has preferences.

There is something oddly passive-aggressive and psychotic about that, IMO. So your philosophy is to refuse to help someone unless they do what you want?

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, refuse to help him when it breaks. Just be like "sorry Dad. I told you to buy something I wouldn't have to help you with when it gets a ll screwed up. Take it to best biuy and spend 200 bucks on a clean install."

That's what I do. 'Course, people then think I'm being an ass, and I am, because I hate fixing anything to do with Windows. I work on them all day, why the hell shoudl I spend MY TIME on them?

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

I guess your biggest problem is that a lot of software doesn't come available for Mac and Windows, or you have to buy the Mac version even with a Windows license and things like that. Plus, a lot of my software for school is Windows only. I run VirtualPC for at least an hour or two for every hour of homework because I don't have the space to add a Windows partition on my PC, and VMWare, Wine, qemu (et al) act sorta weird. In fact, my Java class is the only one where I'm not forced to run Windows (thank god...)

You shoulda made your dad wait for an Intel Mac...

And honestly, what does it matter? Let people use whatever they want. Let them make their own (sometimes uninformed) decisions, they can learn from their own mistakes and experience. But you do have to admit, PC's are cheaper. My Athlon 3500+ machine with gigs of ram and hundreds of gigs of hard drive space, 16x dvd burner, and a nice 17" LCD over half a year ago cost almost the same as if not less than a low end iMac right now, if not cheaper. I'm not one to start a flame war - the PC is useful to me (ppc linux is a pain in the ass) and I actually like it and it's useful to me (for being on IRC and AIM and stuff all the time ;) ) and I can add more to it without shelling out twice the money for more limited options on a Power Mac G5 (ie getting a new video card). Gasp! I'm actually torn over what machine to get when it comes time to replace one, and usually it tends to be (for me) Macs for laptops and build-my-own for desktops. My parents can use a Mac, I don't feel like cleaning up after viruses.

I'm not one to force an operating system on anyone. Only some people who really need it (people who ask how to remove malware every 10 days for a few months, et cetera). Honestly, if you do any research (and ignore some of the FUD spread by Symantec and others, you'll understand what's good for you and what's not. And some people just arent interested, give up already. More customers == bigger market share == Apple becomes the next Microsoft.
    Wait, don't flame me yet. Macs are more inherently secure than the standard Windows XP install, but that's no replacement for user idiocy. I have friends who click on the most obvious AIM worms and rootkits, if the same were to happen on a Mac, they'd do the same thing. You have to admit, not many users are smart about security (writing down passwords and such) - it's eventually going to be their problem no matter what they use

And about the lack of media coverage - most tech writers in major newspapers and newsmagazines are Mac users. Someone, I forget who, wrote an article about that. Apple has a huge presence for their tiny market share. Look at the way everyone fawns over new product releases...:rolleyes:

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

I still believe this is a problem with people being ignorant about security and not that Windows sucks.

Security holes are holes because of developer error, but also because there are users who fall for it because of their ignorance.

But frankly, if I had any more people come ask me about removing malware, I would point them to apple.com/switch too. Just easier, I suppose.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

well i guess if thats his choice then so be it. just remeber next time to bring your wonderful apple computer to his house and use it in the front of him......he'll be sorry;)

Bless

23. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys thanks for your replies

I feel better after reading all your replies, I'm not mad anymore but Ill say sorry Dad but I told you to get a Mac. Thanks this is one of the best websites out there.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's too bad jc0481, Usually venting is very helpful. Glad that you like MacRumors. Maybe over time you can turn your father around.