I just ordered a HDTV and xbox 360 opinions please...

Discussion in 'Games' started by iRhyknow, Jul 4, 2006.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I finally pulled the trigger on a HDTV and decided to get an Xbox 360 to put it to work :D.

I really wanted GRAW but it seems like alot of people complain about the xbox live stuff not working very well, dropping often ect :confused:.

My other option may be CoD 2, as everyone seems to really like it. I just think I would enjoy 3rd person a little more than 1st.

I plan on buying another game also, maybe PGR 3, any recomendations? I would like to play on Live so something with good multiplayer would be prefered. What games have you all enjoyed the most?

2. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I played halo2 on live for the 360 and everything worked great.Never had any problems.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Odd – I have GRAW and it rarely drops. It's not the game's fault, usually, if you are dropped – it's because of the person's connection speed. So I'd at least rent the game and try it out.

CoD2 is fun. But like you said, it's first person. Kameo is okay for 3rd person, and Oblivion is pretty cool. Depends on what you like, really.

4. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

I never had the original Xbox so I dont know how anything on Live works, but it seems like the person who starts the game is the host?

I was expecting premade games to join or something to that effect, like Socom was for some reason...

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Most of the time you don't "start" a game, you go into matchmaking and it matches you up with people based on connection speeds (and if you're in a ranked game, matches you on rank also). XBL has some sort of algorithm for deciding who the host is, and it uses information about past games to make this decision.

A while back they reset XBL and told us all that it would take a few days for matchmaking to get back to full speed for this very reason.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Had rarely had problems with GRAW on Liive. It truly is excellent and the Single player is very impressive too, graphically the single player game is nicer looking too... So definetly add this one to your collection.

Only game I had connection problems with was COD2 , but that has been patched and rarely plays up now too.

I really enjoy my 360 and would reccomend one to anynoe, provided of course that they are interested in the games that are currently available..

As for your third choice, PGR 3 is a very good sim - i'm terrible at it though.
    I prefer arcade racers - so even though I have PGR3, I mostly play Full Auto & Burnout Revenge...

7. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

As Mackilroy says, its to do with the host connection speed for GRAW. We play on a friends 8MB line and its fine.
    COD2 since the patch runs absolutely flawless. Great deathmatch action, but I'd like to give the team based aspect a proper go.
    I've got PGR3 mainly for a house playing... my housemate is a girl who like her racing games, so we mainly play against each other. There's no way I'm good enough to play online!!

8. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

I loved Burnout 3 for the PS2, just thought I might give PGR 3 a try for something different. I'm not really into racing games that much though...

I noticed that almost every game that I am even a little bit curious about has a demo on the marketplace, so I may just download all of those and start trying them out.

Do you get to play multiplayer on any of the demos that are out there?

9. benyaimin macrumors member

If your HDTV has VGA input, get the M$ VGA cable. the quality is better than component, so i hear.

10. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Yea, you get Battlefield 2(best fps mutliplayer demo IMO), The oufit,Test drive Unlimited, GRAW(Single and multi), Prey(OMG IS WICKED...Almost had headache playing it) and i believe CoD2 and PGR3 but not sure cause i didnt dl them since i own them and maybe some other...

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

PGR3 looks stunning on HDTVs, but yeah, choose your cable wisely.

Burnout 4 is fantastic looking, too :)

12. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Being on my 4th broken 360...

'GRAW' is an excellent game - especially for multiplayer co-op.

You don't need to worry about problems with 'GRAW', as much as you need to worry about 'XBOX breaking'.

13. benyaimin macrumors member

how did that happen?? 4 times?!?!?

14. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Microsoft's amazing 'refurb' process.

That's how it happened.

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Don't think his problem is normal – it's not. I've had my Xbox 360 for seven months and have never had a single problem. Even out of the original batch it was something like 2 % that were faulty – that's out of 400,000 units. So you should be quite safe with one.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

GRAW, CoD2, and PDZ. I have PGR2, but am still unsure if that works on the 360

17. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Keep the HDTV, return the 360.

If you want real HD, the 360 isn't going to provide it. Sadly, it only comes with component jacks. Incredibly stupid on Microsoft's part, not providing dvi or hdmi output. Then again, it's Microsoft... If you don't know the difference, its similar to vga-dvi on computers. HDMI/dvi is vastly superior.

If you really want to impress your friends, just get a HD receiver.

18. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

No, I don't know the difference.

So I should buy some HDMI cables, the stock Component HD AV Cable that comes with the $399 xbox is not the best?

How much difference does a better cable make than the stock one?

Thanks again for everyones input! My TV isnt set to ship until 07/10 so I have some time to catch up with cables and whatnot.

19. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The breaking / refurbing process is big enough that it merits the full-time employment of two call centers, where at any given time, you can hear the exact same conversation going on in the background with at least ten other CSRs.

So, yeah. It's not as 'isolated' as fanboys or Microsoft would have you think. You take a risk.

Also, buying HDMI cables would be useless, as the XBOX doesn't have HDMI I/O.

Just use the cables that ship with the XBOX. They're fine.

20. benyaimin macrumors member

buy the VGA cables from microsoft if your HDTV has the VGA/RGB input.

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

"Real" HD is 1080i/1080p, and the X360 supports 1080i, so therefore it does have "True" HD. Don't go throwing around FUD.

iRhyknow: the Component AV cables are more than fine – I use them for my HDTV – trust me, stuff looks incredible with 'em. Plus the 360 doesn't use HDMI in any case.

crachoar: You think any company is immune? And you actually counted?

Yes, it is more isolated. Just because you're on your fourth doesn't mean that that is in anyways as common a problem as you would like to believe. And, by the way, I'm not a fanboy. So, you lose on that. And don't jump to conclusions and think that I'm not saying it doesn't happen – I know it does. It's just not as huge a deal as you appear to be making it out to be.

Oh, also, you take a risk with lots of other things. So what's one more, especially as it's a small one?

22. benpatient macrumors 68000

funny, my 50" Panasonic commercial plasma display looks essentially the same whether it's connected via component, VGA/RGB or DVI...

at the very most, there is a tiny, minimal difference in color rendering with the DVI connection. It is not noticeable unless you're using reference charts and I easily corrected it by calibrating the VGA and component inputs to match. 1080i looks exactly the same through either input after calibration. digital input locked into the resolution easier when trying to get exactly 1366x1280 (native), but only a computer can output that resolution anyway. No difference with 720p or 1080i source material, and a perfectly beautiful image even with (quality) component cables.

the only reasons to get HDMI would be future-proofing and because you like copy protection and encryption. Which I don't.

HDCP can stay away from my entertainment center, thank you very much.

23. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Yes, the 360 games are hd. But the component out degrades it. Component is fine for dvd, which is only 480p.

I'm sure the 360 looks ok with component. Anything would look better compared to a non-hdtv. But it would look a lot better with DVI/HDMI.

dvi/hdmi would give you better color, clarity, less artifacting, a better picture in every way.

The problem is that component is analog. So your signal is basically being converted from digital to analog and then back to digital. Because your converting along the way, your dependent on the quality of the 360s and your tv's d/a converters. If the connection was hdmi/dvi, it would be all digital, bypassing all those interim steps.

Like I said, it's incredibly stupid that Microsoft didn't include a digital out.

Just so you know, 1080p is not really an hdtv standard yet. The current hdtv standards are 720p and 1080i.

24. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Well, for one thing, your plasma is incapable of doing true 1080i, since it doesn't have the native resolution. btw, that is a bizarre resolution your panel has. It's not even a widescreen format.

Anyway, the reason it probably looks the same is because all the signals are being down or upconverted to the screen's resolution. I'm guessing the panel has decent converters. Either that or it is only an edtv panel, where you wouldn't really be able to see the difference anyway.

Here's a link that gives some info on the different resolutions....

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html

And here is a link about dvi vs. component:

http://www.twentysix.net/HLM507W/dvicomp/

25. crachoar macrumors 6502a

When did I ever say other companies are immune? And what the hell do you mean 'And you actually counted'?

I'm fairly certain broken 360's is a fairly large problem, and I think you're downplaying the issue because of your apparent luck. Major video game review sites have had their fair share of issues with the broken 360's, and they've stated that everyone on their staff with a 360 has had to replace it once, if not more than once.

Maybe there are lots of happy 360 owners out there that either deal with the freezing or just don't experience it. But the fact of the matter is, this isn't just a case where maybe six guys in the world have this problem. I start to doubt a company's 'quality control' when I've had these many problems with a product.

Then again, they do send them out in cardboard boxes.

And yes, I suppose if I were the mayor of MoneyLand, and I swam in gold every morning - like Uncle Scrooge McDuck - I'd see how a $420 console is a 'small risk' if it breaks over and over within a month of owning it. I'd probably take my losses and buy a new one.

Sadly, I don't appear to have that kind of cash to throw around, and I foolishy expected my expensive investment to, you know, function.

At any rate, no hard feelings. I just hope that you get to experience the joy of a broken 360 some day. It's really incredible.