I just ordered a mac mini YAH!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tedrjr03, Nov 10, 2006.

1. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

Hello,
    Yah!!!:D Well im used to using my brother ibook g4 14inch, and my parents finally let me order a mini for myself because good grade! I orderd the 1.66 core duo with 1gb ram and 80 gb hd, along with the wired apple keyboard.

I have a few questions and would apprecite some help,

1) Will the spped increase be noticable coming from the ibook g4?
    2) It says it will be shipped between the 15th-17th of this month,is there any chance of it coming sooner?

Thanks i will appreciate any help

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Congratulations! although my first mac is my MBP (see sig.) from what i've heard the speed difference will be VERY noticeable. (in a good way of course) As for you shipping question, anythings possible i suppose.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

For Universal apps, yes it will be noticeable. For Power PC only apps (like photoshop, office, etc.), you'll probably notice they're a little slower than they were on the iBook, but usable.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't have any problems running apps through Rosetta. i have 2GB of RAM and a 2GHz processor, though, so you might either notice no difference or a slight slow down (nothing terrible).

i've only ordered something from apple.com once (everything else i've picked up in a brick-and-mortar store) and it arrived exactly when they said it would.

5. Fredou51 macrumors regular

I know I have gone up from an iBook all the way to a mac pro but for me, the power pc apps are actually much faster. For the OP, it really depends on how much ram the ibook G4 had (and what revision for the processor). I think even power pc apps will be at least at the same speed or maybe even faster.

Frederic

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

first of, congarts the speed diff. will be huge on anything intel,and about even on things that are running through rosetta. apples shipping times are always "worst case" and will most likely be comming significantly sooner.

7. tedrjr03 thread starter macrumors regular

tedrjr03

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Say, I made a similar deal with my parents- except I failed science. So it'll be at least another 3 weeks for me. :(