I Just Ordered My 17" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by x_Viper_x, Jun 7, 2005.

1. x_Viper_x macrumors newbie

I just completed the order, and I am patiently waiting for my new LOVE. This is my SWITCHOVER product, being a unhappy Windows user since I started using computers.

2. endoscient macrumors member

i just ordered my powerbook 15" today. cant wait. first mac I own. i have used them extensively tho. they are great.

3. boxcarracer767 macrumors newbie

Same Here. I got tired of waiting for an update, so I just made the Switch to a brand new 12 inch powerbook with a superdrive. :)

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Congratulations to you all. I switched a year ago, and never regretted it for an instant. I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. Have you decided what to do with the spare time you'll have now that you wont be warding off viruses and spyware?

5. x_Viper_x thread starter macrumors newbie

haha you say that as im doing a virus scan here on my windows. :p

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Congrats. I love my PB, and I hope that you guys do too ;)

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Sounds nice, I love my iMac and Powerbook, but you might want to reconsider your order with Apple soon switching to Intel. Chances are the Powerbook will be one of the first lines to get an Intel processor. It may effect re-sale value within the next 12 to 18 months.

If you are not worried about that, then go ahead, it will do anything you need it to do and should be supported by Apple for at least a few more years.

9. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Resale value shouldn't be why you're buying technology.

In fairness, I totally understand where you're coming from, but being a Mac fan is an expensive business - for me, it's totally worth the joy of not having to deal with XP.

10. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Congrats on your 17"

I've had them all 12", 15", and the 17" is by far my favorite. Update or not, just think as of right now, how many 17" laptops come close in quality to the Apple 17". 12" and 15" laptops may be plentiful, but to have a 17" like the powerbook is unique and special in its current technology.

ENJOY!!

11. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Congrats on your new baby.
    You will love it.
    I love mine. The more I use it the more I prefere it over the 15".
    Enjoy and welcome to the family.

12. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

I'm in the same boat--I'm planning on buying a 15" superdrive this week.

but after all this intel talk i got scared, so now i'm not so sure.

13. aspro macrumors 6502

I bought a PB 12" recently and i figure that should last me until 2007 when the apple line is fully Intel. :)

14. x_Viper_x thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your support, i'm so excited I wish there was next day shipping..!!

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ah, go ahead, yeah the PBs may get updated first but even then, unless you have a need for the latest and greatest, your PB will be good for 3-4 years and will be fully supported.

I never buy for resale value, the same with my vehicles. I buy what I want when I need it and keep it as long as I can. I just went from a iMac DV 400 Mhz that I had had for 4.5 years (my mom has it now, her first computer) to a 12" PB. Sure, I only use it for consumer type stuff and I'm sure that in 4 years it will be showing its age but until then, I'm going to be enjoying it to its utmost.

16. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I wouldn't worry too much. Jobs stated that there won't be Intel Macs until mid-2006. Plus, who knows what those Rev. A PowerBooks will be like. Getting a PowerBook now is a safe bet since it'll last you at least 3 or 4 years. And by that time, the PowerBooks will be at Rev. B or C and you'll be in the market for a new PowerBook.

17. x_Viper_x thread starter macrumors newbie

thats why i decided to wait. If the G5's are ridiculously better, than I'll get one later, if not I'll stick with my G4.

18. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

There's not going to be a G5 PowerBook

19. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

Me too!

I just placed my order for a 17" PB as well. There's a deal here in Oz where you can expense the laptop with your employer and repay the amount minus sales tax out of your pre-tax salary! Yup, works out to be just under half price! Naturally I went through a reseller and ordered an extra gig of ram at a reasonable (non-Apple) price.

Should be here by Monday. Yay!

My poor 12" iBook has started to look a little panicy at the prospect of the new boy on the block arriving...

20. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

Yeah, think I'm going to get a 1.67GHz powerbook 15" this weekend. 17" is just too big for me. Gotta lug it around school and stuff ;)

21. x_Viper_x thread starter macrumors newbie

do they ship from china? how long do they take to get here?

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My 12" which I had ram added to, took 6 days from the date of order to the date of arrival. I think if you order a stock Powerbook it might take a day less. Don't get the faster shipping it is a waste of money really.. yes, they do ship from China. To get the best shipping time, I would order on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, either way you would probably get it the following Monday.

23. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

LifeisCheap wrote:

Salary sacrifice eh? Who with if you dont mind me asking? :D

24. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

Just through payroll where I work. I'm not sure if the rules changed recently to enable this but at my place you can get any laptop up to $6k and do the salary sacrifice thing. Helps working for a bigger company I suppose. It HAS to be a laptop or a PDA though. They're strict on the portability thing although you can include software up to the $ limit.

ALSO, presuming you use the laptop for work, you can offset the amount you end up paying (or a proportion of it) against income tax! So if you're (un)lucky enough to be at the top rate of tax you can cut another 48.5% off the remaining price over whatever period of time you depreciate the laptop for (2-4 years depending on your industry and work/home %age use).

Good eh?