I just played the Wii at ebGames...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Winstonp, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I played the new Wii at the cambridgeside galleria mall in cambridge, ma. It was fantastic. I played the game "excitetruck". If you are in the area, I highly suggest you get down there. I am a beleiver...it's as good as they say.

They require your ID in order to play, because they physically hand you a loose wiimote.

2. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Wow that is going to be such a resource waster in shops worldwide if they dont come up with a tethered solution.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I thought the demo stations did have a tether...

4. therevolution macrumors 6502

I don't know. A tether seems like it could prevent you from getting the full wiimote experience. What's the point of putting out demo units that don't let players get a feel for how different this console really is?

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Dude, I was there yesterday and they had nothing. That exact one. There aren't two in that mall, are there?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Other sites report just getting the systems in today, so I wouldn't be surprised that there was nothing there yesterday.

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

Well, there won't be a Wii to play in Target, Wal-Mart, CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Kmart, Sears..shall I go on.

Asking a customer for an ID to play in the store a size of broom closet, like EB, will work..but not in most stores, so it will need to be tethered.

8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

9. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

It was as good as everyone said it is. The controls were natural, and they were very responsive.

The graphics kind of looked like a regular X-box graphics with some noticable differences. For instance, water shimmer certainly looked like X-Box 360 grade water. However, the truck itself lacked fine detail....

Go back.

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

to bad I don't live in boston anymore...

can't wait to here more about the wii

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I was at EB today as well and they said the demo came in yesterday, The Wiimote is so cool, while the graphics might not be the best the game play is great.

for the record the demos are hooked up to a wide screen lcd and it looked clean while not maybe as crisp as a 360 it was playable.

12. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Can you play the Wii remote like a 'normal' controller?

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

its not really setup to be a normal controller but they will sell an old fashion Wiimote.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends on the game. If you're using it for NES games, for example, yeah. If the developer adds support for it, you can, yeah. If you're playing a game that uses the VC controller attachment (like Smash Bros Brawl or Fire Emblem, both games have been confirmed to use the retro controller), yeah.

But why would you want to?

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I kind of like the old jabbing and smashing of buttons :D

16. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Is this with all ebGames (and maybe other retailers) or just the one in your location?

The Wii is getting a lot of attention. The Super Wal-Mart I was at a couple nights ago had a tv just showing demos of it and some woman talking about it.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Figures, I was just in an EBGames yesterday (er, Thursday). :rolleyes:
    Here's what I learned: NFS: Carbon is pretty damn similar to Most Wanted.

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

There has to be some way of having the wiimote tethered as we're getting the console over the weekend setup. And if not, I'm sure there will be some kind of alarm on the thing.

19. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

The demo units I've seen here (Brisbane, Australia) had tethered wiimotes with a few metres of cable so it wasn't too restrictive. They were in EB (Zelda, Wario Ware and Excite Truck), Toys R Us (Wii Sports) and Kmart (Wii Play).

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nope, I've known how the Wii setups will work for a while (guys at the local GameStop let me read the company emails, hehe).

GameStop's stations will NOT be tethered. Each GameStop will decide how to deal with it; some may make their own tethers, some may trade ID for Wiimote, etc.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Echoes and whispers are spreading around the GAME where I knew a few people that they've been toying with a Wii. Frankly I wouldn't have thought they would have them yet! Everyones being so cryptic about it.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In the sense they both suck ? :D

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

24. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Do they have them set up yet? I have a GameStop like 5 minutes away from me, I have to check it out!

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, but they should have them any day now.