I just purchased a MBP, few questions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hdsalinas, Dec 5, 2006.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

For the past 6 months or so, I have been wanting to get a mac. At first I consider a mac mini but it became clear that I needed more power. Then I considered an iMac with a 17" screen, but the screen was not that big. So I decided to get the 20" but by then the 24" appeared!

Just when I had set my mind to get the 20" Imac, I realized that I needed something more portable so I replaced the imac with a 2.0 Ghz macbook on my amazon's shopping cart. But the macbook didn't looked much better than a mac mini so I decided to go all the way and get a 2.16 C2D 15" Macbook Pro!!!

Today a placed an order through amazon's website for a brand new 2.16 C2D Macbook Pro! I am very very exited!. I also got a Logitech V270 silver bluetooth mouse. (sorry apple, but your might mouse doesnt match the silver finish of the macbook pro and is overpriced)

This will be my first mac since I briefly had an used Classic II almost 10 years ago!! I cant until it arrives! I haven't been so exited for a Christmas gift since I was like 10 years old!

In january I am starting my own design company and what better way to start than with a new MBP!

I just have a few questions,

1. I have read about this grainy screen issue, I went to a store yesterday and they had the previous 15" Core Duo with 512MB model I could not see anything wrong with the screen? Is this a problem that all MBP C2D have?
    2. Are there any web sites dedicated exclusively to the macbook pros?

I am sure that I will have more questions once my new MBP arrives!

Thanks for bearing with my many questions throughout the past months, you have all been very helpful. Now, all of these rummors sites, do not post anything about a new mbp for a least a year, and apple do not release anything new until next year! please

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

No, the grainy screen thing happens to a few people, not everyone. I'd say the vast majority of people have just fine MBP's. You'll just get a higher percentage of complaints here, because that's what the forums are for!

Anyways, congrats on the new purchase! I hope you enjoy it!

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

woohoo, new MBP, nice one!

I've got an early model 2.0 CD MBP and i love it. Just like you I havent owned or used a mac in over 10 yrs... havent looked back in the last 7 or so months I've owned this thing!

good luck

4. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I know what you mean. From reading the forums, I get the impression that there is a 50/50 chance of getting a lemon. I just had to ignore those post and trust apple and amazon that I will receive a trouble free unit.

BTW is it worth getting a bluetooth apple keyboard? I have never owned a laptop so it may be great to use a regular keyboard at home. Any other bluetooth keyboards that work great with the MBP?

thanks

5. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

BTW, What type of dysplay will I get, matte or glossy? I don't care either way but I think I like the glossy more.

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you plan on using the MBP at home a lot, I'd recommend a stand and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I used to use my Powerbook at home ALL the time before I got a desktop, and it hurt my back to hunch over to use it. I got a stand, and then I couldn't reach the keyboard right, and had to get an extra one.

Anyways, as for the screen, it's really a matter of personal preference. I love my matte Powerbook screen, but I wouldn't mind having a glossy MBP for movies! I'd recommend going in to an Apple store and checking them out if you can. If they don't have a glossy MBP, just look at the MacBooks.

7. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I am replacing my desktop PC with my MBP. I have a Samsumg 17" LCD that I am going to keep and use it along side the MBP. The mouse that I ordered will be great since I can use it on my desk at home and just grab it and go.

Later on I will get a wireless router so I don't have to be plugging in and out wires to my notebook and have internet throughout my house.

About the display, I just wanted to know what kind does amazon sell, they did not specify what kind it was.

8. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

It has shipped!

Amazon just emailed me giving me the tracking number! So exited!!!!

I am thinking on telling all of my family not to bother with presents for me this christmas since I will be so exited about unwarpping my MBP box that I wont even care to open any other gift.. unless of course, they are accesories for my brand new MBP... I am going to need a carrying case.

BTW,
    Are mac fully charged on delivery or should I charge it first before using it?