I just purchased a Spanish wireless keyboard unintentionally...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 150hp, Dec 1, 2006.

1. 150hp macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Door County, WI, USA
    Hello, All-

I was driving around Green Bay, WI on a day trip & came across a resale shop I had never visited before. So I go in & it was cavernous. Just kept going & going &... Anyways, I finally stumbled upon a bin with old computer parts in it: network cards, vintage software, all Windows junk. But I kept digging hoping to find something Mac related. Well, at last I noticed the all white keyboard tucked up sideways, wrapped in shiny plastic. I pull it out & here it is a mint wireless keyboard. Latest & greatest for all of $2.00. Wow. I had to buy it. My wife had to go to the car to get some loose change so I could have my new & useless toy as my vintage iMac is not bluetooth equipped. So I am thinking why is this $59 keyboard only $2. Maybe it is dead. But even then, maybe I could make my current keyboard into a checkerboard style or disassemble it to make lapel pins with the keys which is what my wife does with old typewriters.

I get home with it & start to check it out. I put some batteries in it & the lite flashes trying to make a connection which is a good sign. I am looking at it closely & notice the help key reads "ayuda".:confused: & then i see there is an extra "Ñ" next to the "L". Then it hits me, I have a western spanish layout keyboard. All those times of building my dream Mac in the online Apple store & seeing the keyboard choices. & now I actually have one.

I don't even know anyone with a bluetooth mac to even test this thing to see if it is fully functional. I might put it up on eBay. Not sure right now but I just had to share.
  2. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    Spanish lesson of the day: Ayuda = help :). That's a really freakin good deal to get a bluetooth keyboard for $2, unless it doesn't work, but even then it was only $2. :D
  3. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2006
    id still use it..
    i dont know spanish but the keys wouldbe in the same spots
  4. charkshark macrumors member

Nov 28, 2006
  5. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    I had a french keyboard for a powerbook. (It was off a French powerbook...)
    You program the keyboard for English and it should be fine. The problem with the French Keyboard is that it actually had some different keys, and different symbols -- you needed to remember what was on the US keyboard layout to use it properly. The Spanish keyboard should not be a problem, because I don't think there are too many different accent marks or symbols or keys that differ from the US. Just program it for US keyboard layout and use it. Can't you get a usb bt dongle for the old iMac G3?
  6. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
  7. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd buy it off of you. Those spanish keyboards are a little weird and take some getting used to. I had to use one for about 2 months down in Colombia over the summer. I miss all those little accent keys...:(
  8. 150hp thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Door County, WI, USA

So I was at work today when a coworker came in with a MacBook Pro. I instantly thought of my untested keyboard. My wife was able to bring it on in & we were able to find out that it is fully functional. Sweet.

My co-worker offered me $50 for it. I do believe its sold unless he doen't pay me on Monday.