I just quit my first job

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Well i just quit a job for the first time,
    it was a litttle gig at a falling down decrepit coffeeshop. very depressing and gloomy, there was a bum that lived on the patio. any way i just thought that part time at $7.00 an hour wasnt enough to fund a new 12" pbook and new ipod so now im jobless but happy.
    just thought id share.

2. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Re: I just quit my first job

Good for you lad. Nothing feels as good as sticking it to the man after years of working in a $hithole like that. I remember the first time I quit a job. Oh the memories.................

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

$7.00/hr wasn't enough for your new 12" Powerbook?

Now you're making nothing and getting no closer to the new machine. You should have stuck it out until you found another job - some money is better than no money ;)

A little sacrificing for your goals is good for you, I hope you get a new job soon.

Good luck!

D

4. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Well not really YEARS of working there, i was still a trainee, but i could tell that that place was not for me

$7.00 is good wage but not really much over the job i had last summer. plus they couldent give me many hrs.

ill explain the situation a little better.
    I know the owners of the shop, they offered me a job, i siad sure because i felt that it would be fun and exciting to work in a coffee shop and i could hang my photography on the walls (option is still open) so i call the boss and she says to come on down at the end of the week and ill get some training. (at the time i am at my fathers house near SF) so i take all day wednesday and come down on the train. i call the boss and leave a message as to when im gonna get my training. Friday night she calls back and tells me that on sat i would be getting trained at 7:45 am
    so i go to the shop at 7:45 and i meet the maniger, a beautiful 20 year old asain chick ;):D(almoast worth keeping the job for), she gives me 2 hrs of preliminary training and tells me that i am going to be opening the shop on monday and sends me on my way. so yesterday comes arround and im sleeping in and she calls at arround 11:30 and leves a message saying plese help i dont have anyone to tend the shop and i dont wanna close it at noon. so i get the massage arround 1:30, already too late.
    so im stuck, i was supposed to get the key from the shop that night, but it was closed. so i play telephone tag with the maniger and arrange for the key to be under her mat at her house (she had to leave early for school) so today, i go in and im kinda sorta running the shop, i really have no idea what to do, im just winging it. and i make one sale and the god damn register frezes and just quits on me. so i call the boss and she says to close the shop and go home and she'll set up more training, so my mom gives me a lift home and we talk and i decided that this was not a fun place to work at, the place is gloomy the manigment is lousy and its just not a real happy place so i decided that it would be better to find another job. so i called the boss and quit before she spends more of her time training me to do a job im gonna quit soon anyway.
    the 12"pb was just a joke, i do want it and it is what im trying to earn but not the real reason i quit.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, that's a bit of a scary situation - I have to agree with your decision now. I wouldn't want all that responsibility on my first day! :p

Its amazing that they've managed to survey till now with all the 'issues' they've been having.

Good luck finding something else.

D

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I wish that at my 28 years of age and with my 2 degrees I could make $7 the hour in my country. I can hardly make $7 per day when I'm lucky.:(

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I hope to get a job at an Apple repair store near my town. I don't really care how much I get paid I just want to get more experience with working inside computers!
    I'm crossing my fingers!

8. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Are you serious? If so, then you need to move. $7 is chump money, at a chump job. You can't even live on that kind of money if you don't have a roomate, or a spouse that works. With 2 degrees you should be making at the very least least $20 hr. depending of course on what kind of degrees you have.

9. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

keep in mind hes in Venezuela for christs sake ;)
    the economy is diffrent, to put it mildly.

10. job macrumors 68040

job

I quit my first job in Janurary of this year (McDonalds) and I'm glad I did it.

Summer jobs are great though. Perfect time to haul in loads of cash.

I bought a Gamecube and a 15GB iPod with my first pay-check. The rest of my earnings are going to my savings account. :)

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Is McDonalds a good job?

Do you get unlimited free food?

Should I get a job at 'Micky D's'?

[​IMG]

12. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Sure you can! And i got a very brief story to prove it.

My family immigrated here to the US a while ago. My dad got a job making $5.15 an hour. By HIMSELF, he supported a wife and 5 kids for 10 years maxing out at about $8.50/hour. We lived a normal life.. But things are better now :)

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Seeing that you have a 800mhz TiBook you can't be to bad off!
    Do you still play War3? I'm not on much but I don't see you any more.

14. job macrumors 68040

job

It really depends who your boss/manager is. I had a good one and a really horrible one. I decided to quit to focus more on school though, not because of the job itself.

Again, depends on who your boss is. My good manager let me eat as much as I wanted. I could choose from anything off the menu. My bad manager on the other hand only let me get hamburgers. And that was only some of the time.

If you have no other options, then yes, go for it. But believe me, it gets old real fast. But it's certainly a nice feeling when you get your first $400+ paycheck after two weeks of work. ;)

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the way I was taught is still the best policy. Never quit a job till you have a new job.

Good luck with you job search, Royal Pineapple!

16. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

If the coffee was bad, I would quit.
    If the coffee was good, I'd stay.

When I get a job I'll get back to you.

17. job macrumors 68040

job

I agree.

That's why I secured my life-guarding job before I quit McDonalds. ;) :p :D

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I envy your new position, job. All of the lovely ladies in swimsuits everyday!

19. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I was fired from my first job (at KFC) for telling a manager to get of my case (actually the exact expression I used had a bit more Anglo-Saxon in it:rolleyes: ). Anyway it was for the equivalent of $3 an hour (1988)...Fortunately my earning potential has improved considerably since then:D

20. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Im a lazy bum i need to get out and get a jon, sigh.....