I just realized a "problem" if I end up waiting for Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TraceyS/FL, Feb 22, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Crap.

I had totally zoned on Classic leaving. I have kids, I homeschool, we are in Classic often. Not great - but hey, they like those games...

Now, not that they wouldn't do much on my new computer anyway - BUT, i'd have the option that they COULD if needed, and even if i go to Leopard, i'd have the ability to go BACK if needed.

They have a 2 year old eMac that is covered until 12/26 under Apple Care, the laptop is 3 years old and not covered.

OK. I need to think about this more....

Tracey.....:confused:

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Leopard will still run Classic, AFAIK. Just not on the Intel machines (which already don't support Classic under Tiger). I was under the impression that Classic was still supported fine on PPC hardware though.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

No it won't actually- I think classic was gone in Tiger as I run Tiger and I don't have it on my ibook PPC. (and I don't miss it one bit) I have tons of CD games that would run on it but I will use my iMac 1.33 to run those when my kids get old enough to play them.

If you really need something to run the kids stuff on the old iMac and get leopard at some point- but you might want to wait a little after release to make sure leopard is stable with everything you will want to run on it.

I am sure if you are in a bind and need to keep the kids busy on the laptop there are plenty of free games that you can get for it they would be happy to play. Also online there are tons of free games too on web sites.

4. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Classic still exists in Tiger, and I'm pretty sure it will still exist in Leopard. They just don't include OS 9 with Mac OS X anymore -- you have to obtain it elsewhere.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Classic is still in Tiger. There's just no OS 9 folder included on your machine by default. An OS 9 system folder still exists in an image file on your System Restore discs. Putting that on your HD will allow you to use Classic. (Also, if you wipe your system to install a new version of OS X, your OS 9 system folder will be wiped and you'll have to add it from your system restore discs as well.)

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Isn't there a classic emulator that runs on Intel Macs? I remember seeing it as a freeware application before but can't remember off the bat.

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

As far I know, Leopard will still have Classic in it for PPC Macs. I plan on upgrading and if I had read that anywhere, I wouldn't be upgrading.

9. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks guys - see, i'd forgotten that it was already mucked on Intel (we need a :banghead: smilie here like i have on my board :D).

I swear, i'm going to burst these days with a variety of things tugging at my brain!!

OK, so i just plan on fixing the 2 PPC machines until i replace the games with Intel versions..... I can do this.....

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I have sheepshaver running OS 9 on my Intel iMac - I installed it mainly out of curiousity - but I wasn't able to get any external programs running. Well... I tried one. We have a kids game that's supposedly Mac OS and Windows compatible, but turned out that Mac OS meant OS 9. I was able to install in in sheepshaver, but get only a black screen if I launch the program. We just run it in Parallels now.

So I wouldn't hold out any hope that sheepshaver is a solution.