I just saw Episode II

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Jul 4, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, the premiere was yesterday here in my country. My observations are the fallow:
    1. I didn't know Boba Feth was latin.
    2. In that universe far, far, away... girls never grow older, guys do.
    3. Yoda fights like a Ninja Turtle.
    4. Jedis may be wiser people but a lazer gun seems more practical.
    5. I like the effects but I like it better the effects in the older trilogy, they were more organic.
    6. Is a Jedi a mix of a knight and a cleric?
    7. The guy that represents Anakin is a very good actor.
    8. In that universe far, far, away... people never bleed.
    10. That girl was stupid, as every girl she liked to fall in to trouble falling in love with Anakin.

2. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I refer to number 7 when I say , you are DEAD wrong, you are."

represents? thats a unique way of saying BAD actor,,,LOL

3. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Re: I just saw Episode II

Good observation! :)

I want to add the following:

5) The computer animations sometimes look as if they copied real actors into a kind of Final Fantasy. They look sterile and unnatural. The old "analog" techniques were much more realistic. It is one of the reasons why I don't really like Episode I & II.

6) I think they are comparable to Shaolin monks.

7) I think he is a really bad actor. He looks always like a little boy pouting when he mad! ... and he is supposed to be 20??? But I guess the role doesn't give him a lot of chances than looking stupid.

10) That she falls in love with him is one thing in the whole story that is really bugging me. She is an experienced politician and very peace-loving. After his rage when he killed a whole camp of those toilet-paper wrapped nomads, she didn't back up, she doesn't even say anything negative about it. No, she feels pity for him... pretty strange!!!

11) That Anakin is already tempted all the time by the dark side is more than unnecessary for the development of the story. Much more experienced Jedis than him changed to the dark side. It would have been more believable if he would have been tried by the emperor in Episode III, after he fought hopeless fights on the good side.

12) The wedding at the end doesn't make any sense at all. Not only that he is violating the Jedi rules, it would make much more sense that they live their love in secret and that they get married in Episode III when the Republic is disolving and the Jedis don't have any power anymore. Luke and Leia could be "made" in the wedding night then! ;)

groovebuster

4. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

to 1)..wasnt he New Zealandish? Like him and his "son" both spoke like people down under...

5. job macrumors 68040

job

Yes I believe he was from New Zealand.

hitman

6. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

What I liked about the acting of the guy was his expresions, a very spolied kid, with that tension around his mouth. On the other side there is a lot of over acting, 80% of the performances are not digestable, that is bad direction. Obviously the producers and director were more focused in the blue screen and special effects.

11) The worst scene was the death of the mother, looks like a school play, at list that actress is dead now and we wont see her again in Episode III, I didn't like her from Episode I neither, she acts like pretending to care about her roll.

12) The good thing in general was the drama, it wasn't that linear like Episode I. I think they should do (re-edit) Episode I again, the pod racing was so boring.

13) The video games out from Episode II are gonna be good.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

Yeah, the worst scene was the death of his mother. Horrible acting right there, but good movie overall. :D

8. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

About the wedding and the love scenes. The problem was at the editing, before you start a love scen you have to make smooth trnscitions from one scene to the next one. In this case everything was fast, of course this was an action movie mainly. On the other hand there was too much material, this episode was full of stuff.

I think that movies should respect some particular duration, this movie could be at list 10 or 15 minutes longer if we respect the dinamic of the love parts.

At list it was way too superior than Episode I. Lets see what will be on Episode III, that one is gonna be drama every where.

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

These new prequels have little of the elements of the old Star Wars other than being made by George Lucas. When I watch the old Episodes they just leave me in awe, but the newer Episodes get old real quick. Mostly because the acting is BAD, the dialogue is BAD, and pretty much the whole movie is focused on the blue screen rather than storyline and acting.

The old movies succeded becuase the elements in them appeal to us: WWII, knights, swordfights, good vs. evil, love, etc. We were actaully be able to feel and know the characters. The new characters seem distant and we don't have time to REALLY get to know them. There is not too much chemistry between Anakin and Padme partly because of the dialogue, and partly because of their acting. If you compare "love" this with the excellent performance of Harrison Ford as Han Solo and Leia you can see the difference right away-- much more natural and believable.

The only elements I liked in the first Episode: Pod race, Darth Maul fight scene

The only parts I liked in the second Episode: Portman :D, Jango, Yoda fight scene, Psycho Anakin the Tusken killer :D, execution scene

These are the only parts in these movies that actually made me feel. If I were to list all of the parts that I liked in the Episodes, IV, V, and VI it would fill up the whole page. Same goes for all the elements I hated in I and II. Funny how cheesy effects by today's standards still don't take away from the cool factor-- same goes for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Bottom line: these new Episodes are NOT Star Wars, IMO.