i just saw the ring...on vhs

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 2, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

for the most part, i liked the movie...but the ending just fell apart and was anti-climactic

someone please explain the ending for me!!

why did the boy and mother get spared after 7 days?

and why was the little girl so angry and had a need to kill people even after her murder was solved? didn't she just need closure?

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Yeah, I felt the same way about the ending. Plus, the movie was NOT scary. Everyone seemed to make it out to be this extremely frightening thing, and when I watched it I found that there was really not many scary parts. The whole thing was kind of disappointing.

3. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I havent seen that movie since it was in the theaters, but if memory serves correctly, they were spared because they made tapes of the videos. In the story, if you make a tape, you are spared the curse because you are keeping the curse alive. it was the little girls desire to torture as many people as possible because she was tortured so much.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think you have to watch the original japanese version of the movie "Ringu", which is said to be much more frightening and much better overall.

5. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

I saw the ring in theaters, I thought it was one of the funniest movies that came out last year.
    The part where the girl came out of the TV just killed me, I was laughing myself silly after that.

At least it wasn't as bad as the Hulk.

If you want a excellent psychological thriller with great sci-fi under pinnings, I would suggest Donnie Darko, its one the very best movies I have seen in a long time. You will not be disappointed.

6. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Speaking of Donnie Darko, I need to rewatch it again...its so much better the second or third time around

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It was kind of scarry, but just in a different way than most movies.

I didn't think it was the best movie, but it certainly wasn't the worst.

scem0

8. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yeah, I think you are right. I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters either. It was an all right movie, but wasn't really scary.

7 Days!!! ;)

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

That's the thing. The girl wasn't killing people because she needed closure and wanted her murder solved. She was killing people because she was evil. Her parents were driven to do what they did because they feared her, not because they were sadists or anything. Her parents actions didn't make her evil she was born that way. I liked the ending because it wasn't the usual "they freed a trapped spirit so now it can go to heaven" crap.

I watched Ringu and I prefered The Ring. The Ring expanded on the story and tried to flesh out the story where Ringu just presented you w/situations and characters but not much back story.

The mother and the boy were spared because they passed on copies of the tape to other people.

Lethal

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if you have the dvd on the main menu hit right once, down 3 times for a little surprise.

iJon

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have it on DVD also, just haven't watched it yet. Are you talking about using tha arrow keys?

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

EDIT:

It pays to read sometimes :)

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

is it worth renting the dvd for?

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yep, turn the lights out too, unless your not freaked out by the movie like me.

iJon

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

so if the girl was evil, then why didn't she just kill the lady and her son after they made copies? what makes samara merciful enough to spare anyone then? and if samara wants someone dead in seven days, why doesn't she stick to her deadly promise like any good cinematic serial killer?

to me, there are too many questions at the end of what would have otherwise been a pretty good movie

i do look forward to see the movie, "ringu"

some of the bonus footage of "the ring" on cassette or dvd was well done, but i am glad they kept the movie fairly concise overall to keep its fast moving scary parts and keeping the scary parts spaced far enough apart to give the movie a thrilling feel overall

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i think it's still better than a lot of rentals i have seen in the past year

sometimes though, when i rent a movie i think will be mediocre, it actually turns out being fantastic

"legally blond" was just one of those rentals....a really great movie in its genre of feel good movies...and not just for teens who are into reese witherspoon:D

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i was actually talking about the special thing ijon is referring to. I have seen the movie already <gotta love Kazaa> :p

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Re: Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

IMO Samara is a sadists and wants to terrorize people. The more people who view the tape the more people she can terrorize. If she kills everyone who views the tape then it will never get passed along to others and she'll never get to f*ck w/people again.

At times it was a bit hard to follow and there are some holes/questions left unanswered but overall I like the movie and I liked the fact that they tried to tell such a fleshed out story. That was my first reaction after watching Ringu that The Ring had a lot, lot more story and plot to it than Ringu did. Although Ringu did give more backstory about Samara's parents than The Ring did.

Lethal

19. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

so is it worth it to download 'ringu'?

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

Its 1000x 2 better!

It was seriously more scary then the U.S made version, if you get the sub-titles it helps... ;)

What was annoying about sub-titles is during some of the parts where the background is white you can't read the text, I had to hit pause, move to my screen and try and make out the words, but that didn't happen often.

It was scary but not with all the hype.

Is it worth getting for a rainy day?
    Yes, is it worth struggling for... nah.

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

i saw many copies of it on kazaa, but it said japanese so i said no :p

22. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

I have to admit, no, it wasn't particularly scary, but the creep factor was impressive. I was minorly haunted for a few days.

However, a good friend of mine loves horses to a fault, you can imagine how long it took her to stop thinking about it. ;)

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ive heard bad things about ringu, but ill have to watch it for myself. ive heard if you saw ring first ringu sucked. if you saw ringu first the ring sucked. my friend didnt like ringu, and we have the same tastes in movies but i am still curious tosee it.

iJon

24. Makosuke macrumors 603

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i just saw the ring...on vhs

LethalWolfe summed up my reading of the plot pretty well.

I'm surprised every time I hear that somebody preferred the original Japanese version. I've seen the original and both of the sequels, as well as the US version (just recently), and I thought the Japanese ones were terrible.

I will give the original credit, though; the concept, as far as horror movies go, was great, the first 15 minutes of Ringu were way-creepy, and the video in the original was about three times creepier than the US one. But the rest was either boring or cheesy, and the end made me want my money back had I paid anything to watch it.

The US version seemed a lot tighter, they worked more with most of the creepyness, and they removed all the cheese (the whole psychic aspect reeked of 50s b-movies). I didn't think it was all that scary, but still pretty good.

I don't recommend Ring 2 or Ring 0 at all, though; Ring 2 was like a student film (botched attempt at creepy directing and awful acting), and Ring 0 had a story but was cheesy and not scary until the end.

25. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Don't have a meaning about this...

...since I've only watched the original Japanese film. Haven't seen the American remake since I figured it would suck big time. Nearly everytime some Hollywood bozo makes a remake of some brilliant indie film it's does (suck big time), although there are some pleasant exceptions to that rule.

Anyways, I didn't think Ring was that scary. I did find it a very good film, though. It caught my attention right from the start and didn't release it until the end. Very good film indeed.

And, oh, what I found laughably stupid about the American remake is the title-thing. Ring (the Japanese film) was named ring after the sound the phone makes when you get 'the call', while the remake is called the ring after the ring you see on the tape. Weird. And very stupid. The title said it all for the original, but the remake's title is just plain wrong. And stupid.

But that's just my (not so very) humble opinion.

And as the saying goes: everyone has the right to have my opinion.

:eek: