I just started a Apple Store, I need some help...

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacEffects, Jun 17, 2005.

1. MacEffects macrumors 6502

I just opened up a store here in a small town (LaPorte IN 46350 - 302 Licolnway NICP) and I have iPods, Newton Stuff, New/Used Macintosh Stuff, etc (Repair and Sales Only)... And I was wondering how to become an Authorized Dealer and or Service Provider, and how do I go about advertising my store? I have set up the store nice so far, with Apple Neon Lights, Mac Posters, Mac Aquarium (from and SE FDHD SuperDrive - NO Not what you think), display units, TV's Running old Macintosh Sales Stuff, etc... But, how does one go about getting the word out, I have a great collection of stuff, and so does my partner, so it is all about getting people in, We don't always even get one customer in the door a day (12-6 PM Monday - Saturday), so I REALLY NEED SOME HELP, in many ways, advertising (LOW Budget) and becoming Authorized with Apple.

If any one has any ideas or any thing that might be able to help me, please Post or PM.

Thanks So Much!

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Just to get you started, here is the page with the details on how to become an authorized Apple dealer.

irmongoose

3. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Matt24

I am not in your business, but I do expect you to have a website! :rolleyes:

Lots of succes.

btw, wouldn't it be nice if Macrumors would come up with links to independent Macdealers?

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Coupon flyers. Print a bunch up and put them on cars. Give them a discount enough to entice them in, but be sure you still make a profit.

Yellow page ads are extremely expensive. There are more cost effective ways to advertise.

5. MacEffects thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I have 2 Business websites One Two, however I am planing on droping the first site, and such (Due to the fact I have no more time to update it :( )... Thanks for you kinds wishes. You know thats not a bad idea someone should let the admins know :D...

Also, regarding Apple Authorized, why is it some much money and so hard to get ANY OF THEM? Just wondering...

Also, would it be worth my time (well more so $5,000) to advertise in MacWorld? I get a discount because I know someone high-up there.

Any further ideas?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's probably to ensure that only the very serious buinesses apply. This helps to maintain the image of quality that Apple like.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You gotta think of your market area. Are you selling to your region in Indiana, or to the whole continent. You're not going to be able to price compete with the big mail order sellers. I think MacWorld would be a waste of money. You would have to sell $50,000 - $100,000 worth of goods to pay off the advertising cost. And nobody's going to trust you until you have been advertising for 3 - 5 months consistently.

Do the basics:
    WHO are you selling to? Specifically.
    WHAT do they need? Specifically.
    HOW can you reach them to fill that need?
    WHY do you do a better job than any other seller?
    HOW are you going to communicate what makes you better?

What can you do that is of value to your customers that would make them buy from you rather than have it delivered tax-free in two days from Amazon.com for less money?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ummm. You have one customer a day and you don't have time to keep your website up to date?

And why in heaven's name is there a Windows laptop on your site graphic....???

What you have here is a home-based eBay business, not a retail storefront.

If you want to get into retail, you will need an initial capitalization of $50,000 to $100,000 for stock and to fund your advertising budget. I don't know about your area, but normally you have to be open by 9:00 AM.

I would start by getting a list of all the businesses, schools, hospitals, agencies etc. in your immediate area and start calling them. All of them. Spend 4 hours a day at this. Find out who the purchasing and IT people are, then ask them what they need. It's not gonna be Newtons and old-school Mac parts, that's for sure. Find out what machinery they have.

Ask friends and business associates where they buy their computer needs and why they choose to buy it there. Ask them what could be done better.

Then figure out if you can deliver what they need better than the competition. Maybe you deliver toner and ink and paper to them on a schedule as they need it. Then when you have their trust you can start selling them computer upgrades.

Selling computer systems (Mac or Win) is a fools game. You make 3% - 10% profit on a $1,000 - $2,000 sale, you have a support obligation that can run to a dozen hours before you know it. The only possible reason to sell systems is if you can use that as a platform to sell high margin services, accessories and consumeable goods.

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

People will take you more seriously if you use the language well. For example, the plural of "PowerBook" is not "PowerBook's," it's "PowerBooks."

I mean this as constructive criticism and not as a putdown.