I just want a cheap work table!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Dec 16, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Any recommendations on where to get just a basic work table that I can put two or three computers on (with displays, keyboard, and mice)? I need a few (probably four) and all I can find are complicated desks and really expensive tables.

Literally all i want is just a basic table to put crap on, like you see in schools and labs and stuff. What's so hard about that?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I see a visit to IKEA.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Have a look in the local classifieds, you can often get some absolute bargains because its often a bit of a mission trying to get rid of certain things (i.e. big school like tables), so much so that people are willing to give them away for free just as long as the taker collects.

4. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

How about one of those banquet/picnic tables? They run somewhere between five or six feet long. They may be a little high, but a careful sawing of the legs would lower it to what is comfy. A little work would also get you some keyboard trays. One bit of caution - the weight of what you would place on top - you might do well with an additional 2x4 down the length for some bracing. You could actually get quite creative with this, mounting plugin strips on the underside, etc.

5. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

I concur.

I picked up a great work table just last week for less than $100.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

IKEA is great for that kind of stuff.

Tho if you're looking to go really cheap and want a sort of retro-studio look plywood-on-sawhorses works very well. :D (naturally you need thick, high quality well-sanded plywood)

I'd love to have a huge open loft in new york with a bunch of those tables...I can dream can't I? :cool:

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Skip the classifieds and look to your local chapter of freecycle if looking to acquire or get rid of stuff for free.

http://www.freecycle.org/

B

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Two, two-drawer file cabinets and a hollow-core door makes a 6 1/2 foot workspace with lots of useful storage for around $150. A classic solution.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Take a look on Craig's List too, you never know what people are trying to get rid of.