I just want to know why....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dolphin1, Dec 12, 2006.

1. dolphin1 macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    Didn't really know where to stick this post... But I want to know if anyone has run into this same issue/problem.
    I have gone thru 3 different ISP's in the past month. they just can't figure out Macs! I ask them before signing up if they have tech people who know Macs and of course they all say yes. When the answer should be no.
    I've had so many problems with my mac mail (out going mail). My last ISP told me that something was wrong with my computer and bascially to stop calling them til I got it fixed. Ha, ha!!! I told them the same thing is happening on the emac and ibook and I highly doubt it that it's both computers. So I finally find another ISP and started having the same outgoing mail issues but they got their settings correct for the mac computer. :)
    But she also admitted they don't get very many Mac users.
    I don't understand it! Are we that much of a minority?
    Does anyone else have any issues with their ISP's?
  2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2005
    Miami, FL
    Specifics would help. With some searching, you may get some help. I seem to recall others suggesting to change the default port that Mail uses...
  3. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    oh I got it solved by switching ISP's. The error I was getting was that the ISP couldn't send out mail on port 25 but they insisted that it was correct.
    No one would budge on that. I switched ISP's and got the same error message when I went to send mail out but with them it ended up being an error on my part. I put in my user name instead of mail in the outgoing mail.
    I was just wondering if others have run into issues with their ISP's because they don't know Macs.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Many ISPs now block port 25. It just means you have to use their SMTP server. I'm sorry, but it sounds to me like the issue is just that you're not happy with the level of tech support. If you were appropriately knowledgeable about your own equipment, you wouldn't need tech support. I've yet to encounter an ISP that really truly wasn't Mac compatible, at least in the US....
  5. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.

I use Charter Communications, Comcast Cable, SBC Yahoo! DSL *shudders* on a weekly basis, and a T1 line at work (not sure which ISP), and have never had any problems with Mail using my PowerBook, iMac G4, or Intel iMac Core Duo.
  6. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    Excuse me??? NO, I'm not happy with the level of tech support - that's the problem (for me anyway). Maybe not for you but I don't care to know everything about the workings of the computer. Just like I don't care to know everything about how a car works. Does that make it bad? NO, it doesn't.
    That doesn't mean I shouldn't get good tech support. And it surely doesn't mean that everyone should know how a computer works - internally.
    I know animal medicine and nutrition. Does that mean everyone that owns an animal should?? no.
  7. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002
    the great ether
    they block port 25 and they don't want to tell you.

do they possibly have a web page with their configuration info for email etc, ?

no doubt they do. not a problem here either. it is pretty basic stuff to learn.
  8. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    I don't buy the fact that port 25 is the only issue. Because.... with my new ISP I'm using port 25 and everything is just peachy. Mail coming in and going out with no problems. so, something is going on with that particular ISP and they don't know how to fix it. I don't care - I'm not with them anymore.
    And no it's not just "basic" stuff when nothing works.
    I think if you work anyplace whether it's computers or something else - KNOW your stuff! Or don't work there.
    Or admit you don't know and get someone who does. I really didn't post this whole thing to cause a fight here. I was just CURIOUS if other's found their tech support lacking any knowledge at all with Macs. -- That's all.
    I do use tech support and have gotten help from them on occassion.
    I get more info here but I always try tech support too if it's an obvious ISP problem.
  9. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    all they were saying is that your ISP may have info on their webpage, u might need to elaborate your problem in more detail for them to figure it out.

of course, nobody here know exactly what happened, and your complaint is really hard for other people to judge, we just don't know who to blame.

It shouldn't be an ISP problem if the problem is indeed port 25 problem, coz you can change the port on your computer.

Its messy, and sorry, really can't figure out what happened there.
  10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I don't expect ISPs to know Macs. Heck, I don't expect ISPs to know PCs either. Networking is really platform independent no matter the platform. The only time that the platform matters is the USB based modems, thats it.

To use your example, do you know every animal? I am guessing not, so why should ISPs know every platform?

PS. Used RoadRunner and Comcast for the past 5+ years with no issues.
  11. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Check your DNS server addresses in Network Preferences

This happens all the time. ISPs use the same hostname (e.g. mail.isp.com) for incoming and outgoing mail, but on the DNS servers their clients are given, the name resolves to a completely different address to the one they advertise to the Internet for incoming mail.

The incoming mail server will only allow incoming mail to the ISP's own email domain to prevent it being used as a spam relay. Try sending yourself an e-mail using your current outgoing config and see if it leaves your outbox and comes back into your inbox. If I'm right, it will.
  12. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    Yeah in fact I do know just about every animal!!!! I can give you info on nutrition and care for horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, cows, giraffes, elephants, large cats (tigers, lions, jags, leopards, cougars), parrots, reptiles, buffalo, and array of others..... should I go on? Guess not. So, yeah, you work as a tech support I think you should have people there who know Macs and ones who know PC's. Simple isn't it? Maybe not.
    So, don't guess what I do know and what I don't. I'm done with this post. You guys just want to argue and nit pick. It DOESN"T matter anymore. The problem is fixed so what does it matter to you????
    DNS was checked and it was fine. But like I said, the problem is NO longer there anymore. So, lets drop it now.
    I had the same issues with Totalusa.net and sisna.com. Didn't have the issue with earthlink but I didn't like the fact that earthlink sent their business overseas (so it was a personal choice). I'm now with aros.net and it works perfect with them. I had actually signed up with aros years and years ago but had to drop them when they re-vamped their system and I was without internet service for two weeks and I couldn't go any longer without. Should have gone right back to them. But in the end it is done and all is well.
    I really don't care what the deal was about - all I know is it happened with two servers. At least there are several to choose from.
    All I require is a server that works smoothly, friendly and who has access numbers for when traveling in case I can't get on with a wireless service.
  13. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002
    the great ether
    so why did you post anything at all?

You also might get better milage if you learn the lingo. The people that let you hook up to the Internet are not "servers". They are known as "service providers". A "server" is a computer that holds and doles out files, or provides services like printing and mail.

Learning a little about this stuff will go a long way when you really do need somebody else to help you, be it tech support or the helpful people on the the various forums around this wonderful interthingy.
  14. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2006
    just this side of heaven, CHARLESTON SC
    I wouldn't blame the techs for the problems. It seems that they all go by a book to help them with their tech support answers. (I have been told this by a couple of them). Maybe you just got newbies and it wasn't in the manual. If you stop and think about it. Most computers have the window platform. I was worried about my DSL but I haven't had any problems. I am glad that you got yours straigtened out. As for customer service, it stinks just about every where. Every now and then you get a gem and want to keep calling only them but it is not possible.