I just wasted $30 on a screen protector.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Gavin S., Apr 2, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2009
    Bought a Power Support crystal for my iPad and got it on perfectly, except for one piece of dust, tried to get that off and smudged the adhesive and just gave up. Eff it. It looked like crap after that and no coming back. My advice for people wanting to do this. Find something like a CDC Clean Room and put on one of those Andromeda Strain jump suits before you even open the package. couldn't believe how much crap alit upon my screen as I tried to apply that film. God I'm a moron.
  2. macrumors 68020

Feb 9, 2010
    I was never good at stuff like that so when I got the i4, I went to one of those kiosks in the mall where they put it on for you. Worked fine for a while but slowly it started to peel off. Now I go naked and probably will stay that way with both the 4 and ipad 2.
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    I haven't gotten a screen cover for my iPad 2, but I use the hd anti glare firnmy iPhone 4. It was easy to put on, compared to some of the experiences I've heard about with people putting on the cover in a steamy bathroom. I'm going naked on my iPad 2. The anti glare definitely diminished how good the screen looks, and I don't want to give that up for my iPad 2.
  4. macrumors 68020

Oct 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Did you try doing a wet install? There is a great independent instructional video on Youtube showing a guy doing a wet install on an original iPad...I love PS Crystal Film (have had it on my 1st gen iPhone, iPhone 3G and 4, as well as my iPad 1.) For the iPad 1 and iPhone 4, I went to the PS store in Burbank and they installed the films for a few bucks. Well worth it. FYI...They did a wet install.

Some have also had success doing the install in the bathroom after running a hot shower. The steam makes the dust particles in the air settle out.
  5. macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2010
    What do you mean? The iPad screen doesn't look good anyway. Now, the iPhone 4 screen is a different story.
  6. N23
    macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't see my iPad going through the same level of abuse as my ip4,
    so I'm probably going to run it without a screen protector.

A full body cover will suffice for just around the house.
  7. macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Leading The Leaders
  8. macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2009
    The very fact that you paid $30 for a sheet of plastic is beyond my imagination. My iPhone 3GS, which is used by my mum now, survived 2 years of heavy usage without a screen protector and yet there isn't a single noticeable scratch on the screen (loads of scratches on the back though). The chance for an iPad to scratch the screen is even lower as it is not as mobile as the iPhone.
  9. macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2009
    My iPad 1 had noticeable scratches even though it was in an Apple Case from day 1. I bought a PS Crystal Film and it worked wonders. I ordered my PS Crystal Film for iPad 2 I can't wait till it gets here.
  10. macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2009
    For most people, including me, there is no visual difference between the two.
  11. macrumors regular

Nov 2, 2010

I firmly believe screen protecters are a waste of money I had one on my first iPad from day one, I had fingerprints daily. When I got ipad2 about 2 weeks ago the feel of my iPad without screen protecter feels totally different like night and day plus I'm hardly getting any fingerprints. Only have smart cover on it and that's it nothing on back either. I carry this around with me everywhere so it takes a beating.
  12. macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2010
    This is why I paid 58$ for front and back Ghost-Armor at the mall. I was picky and they went through 8 screen protectors to get 3 iPad 2's right. well worth it. Didn't cost the company any money by doing it, they just returned them as defective.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    If you can, and you're not an expert at these things, I'd suggest having a retail shop do it. This way if it's messed up, they are responsible for fixing it.
  14. macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2010
    Lies. Everyone can clearly tell a difference between 130ppi and 300ppi.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jan 24, 2008
    Just had the Ghost Armor installed at a kiosk. Pricey at $55 for full body coverage, but it looks good, feels great, and has a lifetime warranty. Best of all, they install it, so if they mess up, they have to pull out a new shield!
  16. macrumors 68000

Jan 27, 2007
    You don't need a screen protector on an ipad. Just get a case or smart cover that covers the screen in transport.
  17. macrumors 6502

Jul 13, 2008
    I've got a power support antiglare screen protector and I've moved it from one iPad to another several times with no problems at all. I do have to take some scotch tape to remove a dust spec here and there but it's nothing that takes that much effort. Just a little patience.

To those that say that the iPad doesn't need a screen cover on it all I can say is that I need it. The glossy screen gives me a headache. Plus the feel of the screen protector is much better than the glass. My fingers slide SOOOOOOO much easier on the screen protector than on the glass.
  18. macrumors member

Mar 22, 2011
    My wife bought me the invisible screen and I still haven't slapped it on yet. All of my "phones" have had them on because they live in my pocket. iPad 2 lived up high away from the kids inside a fully enclosed incase. I'll go naked because those screen protectors make the screen look horrible. Just keep people with excessive bling on their hands away from your device and it'll be just fine.
  19. macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    I have no issues with my ghost armour. Screen looks as if there was nothing on it. Very happy with it.
  20. macrumors demi-god

Feb 9, 2011
    southerner trapped 'up north' (UK)
    i fell for expensive = quality screen protector
    i got the Zagg invisible-shield

what a total waste of money that was!!!!

i got a cheap £2.50 screen protector from elephant markets, and i swear it's just as good
  21. macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I bought a cheap antiglare screen protector off ebay for $5 or so. worked great. i have access to a clean room however and put it on there......
  22. macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2007
    Hmm, I should jack a bunny suit and a class 10 flow hood and start my own business. :D
  23. macrumors newbie

May 4, 2010
    Power Support USA has great customer service. Same thing happened to me last year with my Ipad 1. I e-mailed them and they sent a new one out to me ASAP. What it takes to get a good fit with no dust is a clean environment and a really tough long straight piece of material to help to apply the protector with no bubbles.

All in all, just e-mail power support's support and they should be able to find a fix for you.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2009
    This. I wasted one or two on my iPhone 4 before I figured this out (actually says this in the instructions). Tape will easily take the dust off and leave no marks.
  25. macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    Doesn't look good? Seriously? Compared to what? I have never once looked at the screen and not been happy about how bright and crisp it is. I don't need 1080p 24" from my face to be happy. Seriously, how can you even say it's not good, that's just crazy talk. Also, the 25 million or so people who own might disagree.