I just... (what do I need to go with PowerBook?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by anjam, Aug 20, 2005.

1. anjam macrumors member

Aug 2, 2005
    I just went out and got a powerbook with super drive and a mighty mouse and a case. Anything else i need that you can think of?
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would recommend AppleCare and getting extra RAM. AppleCare often pays for itself. Purchase the amount of RAM that you can afford, 1 GB would make a noticeable increase in performance.

The software would depend on you interests and money. Mac OS X has a lot of software built in already.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Depends what you need...

More RAM?
    External drive to back up your machine and to hold extra data?
    Decent surge suppressor to plug it into?
    Blank CD-Rs/DVD-Rs?
    Frilly lace panties?

Like I say, depends what you need... ;)
  4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    search the forum there are tons of free-ware apps
    But an airport, ipod, printer come to mind
  5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Why an airport and an iPod?
  6. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    More Ram, definitely. Crucial have some great prices.

An external Drive at home would be a good idea as well. I have a LaCie 250GB which is great. If you have a .Mac account download Backup and use that with your external drive.

Again, for home use, an iCurve and external keyboard would be nice. I have
    an iCurve, which I use with an Apple BT keyboard and mouse combo at work (at home I have an iMac)

I would wait on the AppleCare until near the end of your first year as you're covered for now. Use your dosh on any combination of the above. Just don't forget your personal year-end!

7. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
  8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    to browse the internet wireless and an ipod because it just so freakin cool, and it will actually work now that he as a mac
  9. godbout macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Love the new Avitar CanadaRAM!
    I would also suggest a screen protector to make sure your keyboard does not scratch the screen. Also, if the case you got was a backpack style case I would also think about getting a sleeve. Oh, and a stand such as the iCurve! those PB's can get pretty HOT! ;). Finally if you are going to be in an office or lab etc where it may, for mere moments, be out of sight a good mobile lock would be a good investment.
  10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I have 3 PBs; so I went through what you are going through now. Here are things you may want to consider:

For viewing,
    ACD 20" or/and 23"

For desktop ergonomics,
    External keyboard (wired one or BT, Apple's keyboards are sweet; Kensington's slim keyboard is also nice)
    Cool pad (to keep you pb cool)
    iCurve (to increase your desktop real estate while keep the pb cool)
    External mice (there are so many; I have the collection of mice from Logitech, Kensington, and Targus)
    USB hubs and Firewire hubs (these come in handy if you are prone to plug in and out something often as the hub will get the wear and tear beating instead of the PB's USB and Firewire ports.

For additional storage or back up needs,
    External hard drive (I have Lacie 250 GB, 160 GB, Arcom 160 GB, Lacie's new mobile 100 GB hard drive)

For travelling,
    Various types of carrying bags (I have bunch of bags from Blooq, Brenthaven, inCase)
    Extra AC adaptor (I keep the extra one in my travel bag so that I don't have to take the time to pick up the AC adapor I used at my desk)
    Universal Car/Air adaptor (I have the one from Kensington)

For cleaning,
    iKlear (I have not yet used them even though I have two brand new packages here; my PBs are so clean)
    Micro Fiber towel to clean and wipe your PB (rough cloth will scratch the exterior and screen)

Of course, there are more to complement your PBs, such as printer, scanner, iPod, small flash drive, surge protector/battery back up, external computer speakers,................
  11. anjam thread starter macrumors member

Aug 2, 2005
    I picked up a mighty mouse and a nice case that it slips into. I have an epson r300 printer. I think im going to get extra ram soon and a 60 gig ipod so i can use that as an external storage device also.

In terms of software and games - whats hot?
  12. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    A digital camera, and a few naked chicks to pose with your powerbook. :D
  13. azrussell132 macrumors member

Jan 26, 2005
    Phoenix Arizona
    Extra Ram and a external hard drive and a nice case and your all set. I also use a lapdesk when using my laptops IN my lap. I think mine is a Kensington product. ENJOY!!!!
  14. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    Definitely more RAM!

I also highly recommend getting an Airport Express! The few people I have switched rave over this amazing piece of hardware within minutes of getting it home! Not only does it make using your new PB much more free... but AirTunes is just one of my favourite features to show off when people come over!

I have over 6000 songs in my PB, and I can't remember the last time I used a CD?! iPod in car / walking / work, and at home - AirTunes... as the Airport Express gives me wireless high speed internet - but also allows for wirless printing, and I have my home theatre system plugged into it as well - so all my CDs in my PB play out through my Home Theatre system!

You have a new case which is great - but I would recommend a sleeve as well. I have two good cases / bags but always put my PB into its sleeve before putting it in the bag.

QuickTime Pro is something that I bought fairly early on as well - and am glad I did. As the other posts noted there are thousands of free apps available on the net.

Microsoft Office for Mac - essential in my humble opinion as well.

External hard drive - will probably be something that you will look into in coming weeks / months.
  15. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    The final choice may not exactly enhance the Mac experience (of course, I could be wrong about that), but following the purchase of a PowerBook it is easy on the piggy bank ... it is the cheapest alternative.