I Just "Won" a Free Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Oct 2, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Well the other day, Friday to be exact, my dad signed up with this bank and they had this promotion going on where if you transfer a certain amount of money with them they send you a free dell inspirion 1000. Its a celeron 2.2 ghz, 256 ram, and 64 meg shared video leaving you with really 192 to operate win xp. :eek: It should be here within two weeks, but I am wondering to myself if this thing will play games and stuff. For sure cs, and perhaps vice city but I will have to wait and see. I'll post a pic of it when it comes. ;)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I saw the words "free" and "laptop", and I thought, so what if it's a dell, it's not bad. Then I read 2.2GHz Celeron...

[​IMG]

Oh noes!!!!!!!

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

a celeron.... lol, what a joke.

that thing is a $300 POS... no wonder the bank gave it away :p

im sorry, but that thing is gonna struggle with just 2+2... dont expect "awesome" CS performace... it will be mediocre are best...

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

You should eBay it and put the proceeds towards a shiny new Powerbook G4.

5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Pretty nice to get a laptop--even if it is a Dull with a 2.2 GHz Celery. :p Now put Linux on it or sell it and buy some accessories for you Mac. :cool:

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

actually, it costs $829 direct from dell... :rolleyes:
    not bad for linux or wireless web surfing/im if you don't already have a laptop...

reality

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations CubaTBird on winning the Dell laptop. Who will be using the Dell? It's bound to be usable for something, you can't beat free.

If nothing else you could help out the MacRumors Folding team. We appreciate all the help we can get.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=21908

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

in the chicago area, Ford sometimes has a promotion where, if you buy a new Focus, you get a coupon for a free Dell desktop. (i.e. the gear comes directly from Dell)

my mom did this promotion. since the free Dell was configured weakly (celeron, short memory, XP Home, etc), i gave her the specs to upgrade it to a decent machine.

so for $600, she got a P4 (non celeron), 512 RAM, XP Pro, LCD monitor, all-in-one printer, et. al. not bad, imo, ignoring the fact it's not a mac.

does the bank promotion allow such upgrades?

9. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

hmm folding might not be a bad idea, i might consider that, my dad already has a dell desktop 8200 that he uses and he stays at home for his job, i don't really see him using the laptop all that much, hmm perhaps if i can convince him to let him use the dell laptop and get his comp for gaming... its a p4 2.0 ghz with a radeon 9000 pro so yea.. but folding, hmm might consider that :rolleyes:

10. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

as the bank is giving away free laptops, beggers cannot be users

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sell it on eBay and build yourself a nice gaming rig if you want to do that. It will be a PC, but if you have stuff that won't run on Macs, it's better than VPC. Cheapy notebooks are not good for gaming. For the money you get for it, you could build (or buy) yourself something really nice. Well, nice for a PC.

12. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

A Celeron isn't too bad for a laptop. Usually people don't game on laptops. For all other purposes, the celeron isn't too bad. I ran Linux on one for quite a while. Not a bad machine.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you CubaTBird. Your consideration is all that I can ask. There is a section here in MacRumors, Distributed Computing. It is dedicated to folding, you should check it out. ;)

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

If I ever get a free PC notebook (and it's at least 1GHz and running XP Pro), I'd use it for a multimedia jukebox of some sort. That would be cool, no matter what you say about PCs. Seriously take advantage of the Celeron.

15. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    I would never buy one or for that matter I would no take one for free it would waste to much of my time, and no one can buy time... Well you might use it to show people how Macs are better then the PC's:)...

16. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

:rolleyes: Right... I believe you. :rolleyes: Even when I was a Mac hater, I would have taken one for free.

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Which Bank?

All you had to do was transfer 1,000?

For a free laptop? Where do I sign up?

edit: oh its a certain amount... and you get a dell 1000.

Still... Where n how much?

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congrats free is free

i wouldnt mind getting one, i would use it as a media server, load redhat on it experiment around

19. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I have to agree, sell that crapper on ebay and get a new ibook or power book. Just think sell it for $600 and you could have an new ibook for $400. That is what i would do at least. Congrats bro.

20. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

erm

but i have an ibook already! see sig, lol :p :D :)

21. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Ebay it and save that money for the next babies -Hopefully dual core- coming next ;)

Free is free, yeah, but use it for a mac :)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What was the 2nd place prize? :p

Yes, but that's because you're normal.

23. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

We are talking about a free laptop here. Why complain?

24. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Congrats man. Free is free no matter what. And a laptop is a laptop. For many the basic features that laptop has is all that matters to them. Save the gaming for a desktop.

Mike

25. bdomz macrumors member

I bought a cheapo refurbished Inspiron with a Celeron 2.0 ghz last year for like $600 from Dell. It actually runs pretty fast after I bumped up the RAM to 512mb. But don't bother with 3D gaming, the intel "extreme" integrated graphics are terrible, if you had a 3ghz Pentium 4 in that thing it would still be a lousy gamer. I'd ebay it for $500-600 or keep it for office/email/websurfing.