Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

Original poster
I just got a phone call from The Observer (and I was thinking, why is the Observer phoning me?!) and I won a competition that I entered to win a Tivoli PAL radio a couple of weeks back. I don't know what colour it will be though. It should be here on Saturday, apparently. :) I'll post pics.

I'm chuffed to bits. A couple of months ago I won a set of Pantone markers, and now this. It's always nice to win stuff that you would never justify spending the money on, but then secretly kind of want....

I looked on eBay, and they are selling for £100 or so, which is kind of tempting, as I don't need it, but then the more I look up the specs, the cooler it looks. It's portable! Yay. Maybe I'll wait and see what colour it is. If it's pink, it's definitely going.... ;) Anyone else got one? Is it good?

edit: darn typos

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Lau said:
A couple of months ago I won a set of Pantone markers

they still make those? :eek: :p :p

Lau said:
I don't know what colour it will be though.

I bet it's that foul green colour. :eek: :p :p that's why they're giving them away in competitions ;) because they've got zillions of the green ones left and they need to get rid. :p

Lau said:
Maybe I'll wait and see what colour it is. If it's pink, it's definitely going.... ;)

I do like it in 'Earth Brown' :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Well done -- better post this in the 'make me jealous' thread... I never win anything ever. :(

Tivoli Audio make such nice stuff -- I want to get a Model Two sometime soon for the kitchen to stream iTunes to.

L

Lau

Original poster
iGav said:
I bet it's that foul green colour. :eek: :p :p that's why they're giving them away in competitions ;) because they've got zillions of the green ones left and they need to get rid. :p

I hadn't seen that dark green. Ugh. That is evil. The navy one's fairly gross too. Well fingers crossed for Saturday.... I quite like the bright green one though.

iGav said:
I do like it in 'Earth Brown' :)

That's what I'm hoping for. I do rather like brown. And black or white would also be nice.

Blue Velvet said:
Well done -- better post this in the 'make me jealous' thread... I never win anything ever. :(

:( Sorry! I think I just used up my next 10 years good luck winning those two, and yours may be just starting. You'll go and win the lottery, and a radio and some felt tips will look pretty sad in comparison.... ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Lau said:
IThat's what I'm hoping for. I do rather like brown.

I love brown. :D

Not a day goes past when I don't think of some scheming plan to try and relieve the UPS man of his shirt when he comes and delivers stuff. heheh.

L

Lau

Original poster
iGav said:
I love brown. :D

Not a day goes past when I don't think of some scheming plan to try and relieve the UPS man of his shirt when he comes and delivers stuff. heheh.

Mmm. Brown. I do wear an abnormal amount of brown clothing.

Not to make you jealous, but when I was in New York a couple of years ago I got a pair of trousers that are identical to UPS brown with yellow piping for a dollar fifty. :)

L

Lau

Original poster
:D Heh heh.

I haven't got it yet. :( I phoned the woman from the Observer today because I had a feeling something had gone wrong, and it turned out CityLink tried to deliver on Wednesday and left a card. Except I was in on Wednesday, and they didn't leave a card. In other words, they didn't bother looking for my flat. A big thumbs down to CityLink. So I've arranged redelivery for Tuesday, and they now have detailed instructions about where exactly my flat is, and my mobile number, which was no doubt completely mistranslated by the Vicky Pollard on the phone at CityLink Bristol. We shall see. The saga continues. Wanna sweepstake? Bet you a pint of cider it's black. :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Lau said:
The saga continues. Wanna sweepstake? Bet you a pint of cider it's black. :)

*strokes chin* only if you can assure me that you are not on the receiving end of some insider info from the Observer. ;)

L

Lau

Original poster
Well, I'm afraid you'll have to take my word on that. Bear in mind I'm a bit shy, and felt bad enough having to phone up this woman and hassle her about something I was getting for free, let alone say "oh, and what colour is it? I hope it's not that disgusting green". :p

Here is a drawing to illustrate my honesty and lack of radio colour knowledge. Believe me now? :D

Attachments

• laudunno.jpg
    laudunno.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 67

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Blue Velvet said:

Tivoli Audio make such nice stuff -- I want to get a Model Two sometime soon for the kitchen to stream iTunes to.

If you are going to spend that much for a radio to stream iTunes to, go with the new Bose Wave Radio (or Music System with CD player.) Some Bose products are overhyped, but the new Wave is not. It is one of the best buys I ever made. Sounds amazing and as crystal clear as it comes with good bass for such a small package. Last, it is made in the USA instead of being a Chinese product like most small radios are.

If you don't believe me, go and find one (the current new style one) and have a listen. I have a white one in my bedroom. It is available in white or black. I stream music to it with an Airport Express. It works well. The AM/FM tuner is very powerful as well. It will pull in stations the way no cheap radio can.

L

Lau

Original poster
iGav, we owe each other a pint. Or we don't owe each each other a pint, but where would the fun be in that? :D

It came today, and it's a beautiful rubbery orange. Mmmmmm. It pretty....

Attachments

• tivoli.jpg
    tivoli.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 82

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Abercrombieboy said:
If you are going to spend that much for a radio to stream iTunes to, go with the new Bose Wave Radio (or Music System with CD player.)

I wouldn't buy a Bose product... never ever. Besides, the Tivoli Model Two has separate speakers that can be spaced apart.

Lau? Nice one... am jealous, it is extremely pretty. Does it sound good?

L

Lau

Original poster
Mmm, it sounds surprisingly good for its size. I had the volume about 1/4 up and it was comfortably loud and sounded good. Whether I'd pay £100-150 for one, I dunno. Then again, I am a cheapskate....:p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Lau said:
iGav, we owe each other a pint. Or we don't owe each each other a pint, but where would the fun be in that? :D

Indeedy... :D

Lau said:
It came today, and it's a beautiful rubbery orange. Mmmmmm. It pretty....

Rubbery orange... very RNLI don't you think? :p

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Congratulations, Lau! I didn't know what a "Tivoli PAL radio" was until I clicked through the link you provided, but it looks cool. Hope you enjoy it, if you decide to keep it.

I remember winning a little B&W television in a Bingo game, when I was a young teenager. I was so excited about it, you would have thought I'd won a new car or something.

L

Lau

Original poster
iGav said:
Rubbery orange... very RNLI don't you think? :p

That is one of the more amusing things I have read recently. :D You're just disappointed because it's not a vile green, and therefore can't laugh at me. Well, not because of the radio, anyway.... ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Lau said:
You're just disappointed because it's not a vile green

That's true. heheh.

So then, as it's a rubbery orange... begs the question, is it waterproof? go on... throw it in the bath, I bet it is you know. :D

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Blue Velvet said:
I wouldn't buy a Bose product... never ever.

Have you ever heard a new Bose Wave? Why would you not buy it? Because Bose is a private company focused on research or the product is Made in the USA? A little expensive, maybe, but it is a quality radio. Some of Bose's things are not that great, but the new Wave is.

L

Lau

Original poster
iGav said:
So then, as it's a rubbery orange... begs the question, is it waterproof? go on... throw it in the bath, I bet it is you know. :D

It is! Oh, hang on, it's stopped working. And what's that blue spark? What have I done?

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.