Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeymoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
I have a 2.2 ghz Macbook, and whenever I plug in the USB connected to my iPod into the side USB ports, I get this "USB Over Current Notice" and it deactivates the USB Hub. It doesn't do it every time, but it does it more often than not. It will do it on both USB ports.
I don't think it's a prob w/ my iPod b/c the connection was fine on my old computer.
Any way I can fix this? Should I spend the $ on a Genius appt? Suggestions??
Thanks in advance!

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
The iPod draws more power than the hub can supply - so the iPod will most likely have to be plugged directly into the macbook, not via the hub.

If that is what you mean - if it doesn't work on any ports, then you have a problem... Hope this helps.

joeymoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
by Hub I mean the two USB ports on the side of the Macbook, I don't have any thing else attached to the computer. I think you're second response is more relevant...I have a problem :(

Can I divert more power to the USB, or do anything to fix this?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
by Hub I mean the two USB ports on the side of the Macbook, I don't have any thing else attached to the computer. I think you're second response is more relevant...I have a problem :(

Can I divert more power to the USB, or do anything to fix this?

First off you need to get the USB ports on the MacBook checked out to make sure they are actually outputting the specified power for a USB powered port which is 0.5A@5VDC- but if you can't or don't care to, two other solutions are below.

There is no way to add more power to them directly, but using a quality 4 or 7 port powered hub (in other words with a power adapter that plugs in the wall) will often allow devices to work that may be drawing just over the current that the built in USB port can provide. Belkin hubs seem to have a little more available power at each port. Since your iPod works sometimes, that would seem to be the case- that it just needs very near the maximum that the onboard port can provide.

Now on the other hand if you just want to plug in the iPod and avoid the underpower problem and don't mind using both USB ports, you can successfully use a USB "Y" cable which draws power from both USB ports which, assuming the USB ports are working ok, will eliminate the problem. An example of such a cable is this one at Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.