I Know Someone Who's Already In Line At Santa Monica

Discussion in 'Community' started by ibookin', Jul 10, 2003.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I was surprised to learn that there are already two people in line at the Santa Monica Apple Store in preparation for the opening at 6PM tomorrow.

Read what he wrote about it at

http://www.emayhem.org

Crazy, ain't he?

2. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Oh Mr. Bergman...Steve loves you.:)

(he'll dig you even more if you actually BUY something after waiting so long!)

Odd...there are quite a number of Apple stores now in the greater LA area...I went to the first one that opened on opening day, and since that was one of the two first ones in the company, boy, you could FEEL the excitement...what a day. So I guess I can "relate" a little to Mr. Bergman's odd behaviour, but it's not like it is the first store to ever open or anything within reasonable driving distance of him.

Whatever! Hey, anyone ever get excited about Gateway stores? There ya have it...

3. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

jeezus...

that guy's insane. hope the police don't arrest him for loitering.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

5. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Actually it's a different Josh.

I myself am getting there about 3PM tomorrow.

Re: The police:
    I was talking to him earlier and he said the cops were "harassing us on principle". They are breaking some laws designed to keep homeless people away, so we'll see what happens.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

How many Joshs with iBooks are out there?!? :eek: :p

Have fun!

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That is pretty crazy. But, it would be fun. :D

Have a good time!

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

After having been to a couple Apple Stores - I don't see the reason behind this......its not all that great and they're not getting anything special for being first.....and what are they going to do when they get in the store?

But hey, if you've got the time.....

D

9. thekaiser macrumors member

I am impressed, that is dedication. I have done that many times for concert tickets, and sneak previews to movies. Apple users are a unique breed. Because of people like these guys, Apple will never die.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

11. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

The catagory should be changed to humor!

Oh well, the Mac deticated come in all shapes and sizes...

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

True, but they've been working at making things happen. And I'll be checking back to see what happens, so in that sense it does work.

Still, I'd not be the one waiting overnight ;)

D

13. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Now that can be taken a number of ways..

;)

14. thekaiser macrumors member

haha, that it could...

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

He says there are "under 10 people in line" as of 9am. Is Hal the first person in line or isn't he? And exactly how many is "under 10"? Maybe the 15 hours he's been there weren't enough for an exact count? We need more precise news on this important news story.

Imprecision for no reason reminds me of the way people say "I was one of the top 17 in my graduating class" as if you'll think it means "between 1 and 17" when you know it means exactly 17th.

16. Pancake macrumors regular

Pancake

I fully understand these people. It not entirely about being the first at a new Apple Store, it about doing something that feels like you have been doing something.

I've been out of high school for two years. I had no direction what so ever. I've held several jobs, taken a handful of classes at the local college and basically just sat around doing nothing. I finally have direction now, I'm going to study film in London, but I can understand being truly bored.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

i'm currently at the apple store lol
    it looks cool...:p

19. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

that is a very cool weblog. i tried to chat with him on aim but he wasn't on : lol.

that requires the ultimate dedication, but like Mr. A said, this guy is not getting anything special. it all seems sort of odd.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

i think he's trying to save his battery on his pismo which is running out...
    anyway I'll try to be online @ aaplgoddess, IM me with questions and if he's nearby i'll ask him

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

got back from the apple store lol
    i think they ran out of t-shirts :p
    i got two heehee
    anyway, i didn't see any macrumors people!!! sheesh!!!
    me and josh were among the first 10 people to get in, plus our friend Hal was the one who made the first purchase there (12" powerbook, airport extreme card, applecare) :p

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can see that being young and a Mac fan, why not. It would be very memorable to say I was the first to enter the store or the first purchase. This is trully a Mac thing. An example where smaller is better. We are just a close knit group with a very special bond that brings us together. Windows can have all of there hassels, we get to have fun! ;)

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am too old and rickety to be out there in the early am sitting on the hard, cold (or hot) concrete for hours and hours...i would be seen as some dirty old man

the only people my age (40ish or 50ish) that i know of willing to sit out overnight on some sidewalk would be some hard core rolling stones fans...or in the recent past, grateful dead fans when garcia was still with us...what a sight, teens and their aging parents camping out to get the first dead tickets sitting outside of wherehouse records:D

24. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Are you sure you don't get anything for being first in line. When ever a new PCWorld (they are like Compusa in the US) opens in the UK, they do a special sale where everything is half price for the first day. I got a lot of Mac stuff when my local one opened a few years ago.