i know this has been asked......but when??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by awgoo, Mar 2, 2007.

  1. awgoo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Location:
    houston, tx
    #1


    K guys, for the longest time i've been a windows fanboy, but after much convincing i've decided to go with a new macbook. :D here's the problem, and i know this has been asked plenty of times, but should i really wait for the new upgrade in the macbook? if so then why? i've heard rumors of the new ones having LED backlit displays which would increase battery life. i currently own an hp laptop :( and want something smaller and lighter. i don't really need the computer now, but it would be nice to have. are the new changes that significant for someone to hold off right now? what are the major changes that the new one will have? (ie...battery life? run cooler? same design/size?) please help me decide. :confused: i almost purchased one last night. but if ya'll think i should hold off for now then i will. thanks in advance for the advice guys.
     
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #2
  3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    #3
    If your considering a Macbook I think your pretty safe as far as broad-sweeping changes being implemented. The design is less than a year old so I wouldn't expect any changes there.

    With the impending release of intel's Santa Rosa platform, you might get niceties such as onboard flash storage, integrated hsdpa(?) etc. You'll get a faster FSB, but the processor is going to remain exactly the same. I doubt the Macbook will get a LED display at this time. Their still pretty expensive, and I would expect that to be put in the MBP first, then trickle down to the consumer level over time. You can never be too sure though.

    Take note that if you wait until leopard is released you'll get that, and iLife 07 included for free. That's an additional >$200 you wouldn't have to spend. Bottom line is if you don't NEED it at this moment I would try and hold out for a few months. That's what I'm doing.
     
  4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #4
    What features will be present and when they will reach the Macbook are just speculation. Scarlet Fever gave you our #1 piece of advice (buy it when you need it) and awgoo gave you the best reason to wait (Leopard & iLife '07). It never hurts to read more about Macs. My favorite is Switching to the Mac but there are others, including free guides here and elsewhere. Best wishes.
     
  5. awgoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Location:
    houston, tx
    #5
    thanks for the advice guys. so they may add the "santa rosa" to the macbook later than june or july? i would really love to get one now with a 160gb hd, and 2 gigs of memory. does anyone think the updated mb will be expandable to 3 gigs of memory and larger capacity hard drives?
     
  6. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

    TheManOfSilver

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    I'm thinking 3GB of RAM is only slightly possible (more likely on the Macbook Pro). I'm sure larger hard drive options will be coming.

    Bottom line though ... wait! Like emptyCup says, at the bare minimum you'll get Leopard and iLife '07 built-in.
     
  7. Dawei macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2007
    Location:
    Green Bay, WI
    #7
    Good idea

    I think what the guys are saying are probably good advise. Wait for Leopard and iLife07. I just couldn't wait anymore so mine is schedule to arrive March 12, YAY! I guess I'll be fine just getting Leopard later, but since iLife06 is on there now, I'll be fine, I don't know what else well be new in the newer version besides just being somewhat removing any founded bug in iLife06, updated with Leopard features (this I don't know, but I'm sure that's what these companies always do), etc...One long run on sentence :D
     
  8. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #8
    the Pros already have the option of 3GB RAM.

    for the OP, i'd recommend waiting.
     
  9. awgoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Location:
    houston, tx
    #9
    thanks for the advice guys. i think i'm going to wait until the santa rosa comes out. i was just wondering though.....what's the dirference between the c2d and the santa rosa chip set? i don't know to much about that kind of stuff and was wondering if someone could explain it to me in newb terminology. i just want to learn more about this stuff. thanks
     
  10. Airship macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2007
    #10
    Waiting for small incremental increases in performance is for rubes, in my opinion. There will always be new technology but rarely will it make a milestone worth writing home about.
     

Share This Page