I know this is a Mac site, but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Squire, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I'm thinking of getting a new...gasp...Dell. Actually, I'll likely be getting a mac pro for myself in the new year but our PC has crapped out. My wife, therefore, wants to get a new PC. If I have my say, I'd like to get one of those Dell XPS systems because, personally, I'd like something that will be good for games. (Alienware PCs aren't available here.)

So, I have a few questions:
    -2.13 GHz (E6400) or 2.40 GHz (E6600) Core 2 Duo?
    -Windows XP Home or Professional
    -Amount of RAM: cost vs. benefits

Actually, I'd probably just go with the cheaper CPU, maybe 2 gigs of RAM to start, and stick with XP Home (because I don't really see any obvious advantages to getting XP Pro). I don't know much about video cards. Is a 256MB PCIe x 16 nVidia GeForce 7900GS pretty good?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Squire

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Get the MacPro. Set up BootCamp. You and your wife can both be happy.:D

So as far as what you should get in the MacPro, what will you (and your wife) will do with the computer?

3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

You are going to get flamed.

If you look at the titles, it is Mac Hardware Buying tips, Advice and Disscussion.

I for one think, that you should go for XP pro, 4 gigs of RAM, and the 2.4GHz c2D.

Have fun with Norton.

4. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Yeah, that's what I told my wife but she wants her own computer. Understandable considering how much time I spend on my mac.

I'd like to get back into playing some games. My wife is dabbling a bit in web design now and might start on some Photoshop-type work. I'm hoping that if I buy a Dell here in Korea, the warranty will still be valid in Canada. (I'm moving there in the winter.) I just don't want something that's going to be bottom-of-the-line tech in 6 months.

I've been around this site long enough (almost 4 years) to realize that (1) the people in this community are extremely helpful individuals, and (b) some people can easily be ignored; I'm not really worried about the "flaming" part of it.

It just says "Buying Tips" on the front page. Close enough.

Thanks. (See! Somebody's helped already.) The RAM and CPU upgrades would cost about 500 bucks. How would you justify that? Also, what do you think are the advantages of Pro over Home? My notebook has Pro on it and it seems to be a case of "same ____, different pile."

Seriously, eh?

-Squire

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I use XP Home at Home and Pro at school. To me, there is no difference, except I seem to see that most people running Pro use Windows Classic theme. :confused:

6. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Stop being ridiculous.

No one needs 4 GB of RAM for personal use, specially on a notebook.

Again, stop being ridiculous. Windows XP SP2 properly patched is just as safe and stable as OS X.
    ]There will be no significant difference between a 2.13 and 2.4 GHz processor. If you can tell the difference, it's time to get checked in at a clinic.
    There is no difference for most users between XP Home and Professional.
    You'll be more than okay with 2 GB of RAM.
    It's a more than decent video card.

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I think anything Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0+ would be MORE than enough.
    Um... 2GB RAM is fine, could probably do at 1.5GB...

Ummm.. Home, definitely.. there is seriously almost no advantage except if your apart of a 100 group network requiring such and such... blah blah blah.

SO!
    C2D 2.0+
    2GB RAM
    XP Home
    Graphics... Ummm.. the x16 7900GS 256MB'er sounds great.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Actually, this is not completely correct.

While XP with SP2 is much better than XP used to be, it still can be affected by an assortment of Virus, Trojans, Worms and Spyware that do not affect OS X.

9. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Well, for networking its pretty much better, but other than that Pro and home are the same...

You said games, so the RAM would be a great upgrade, and the CPU hop really isnt that significant if you dont need it that much. But if you have the cash, the CPU leap is pretty cool to say "hey i have a 2.44ghZ one pfft.

But seriously, try to outsmart Norton, try to make it into a game.
    A very difficult game.

10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Get the E6600, its the real sweet spot for price/performance/overclockability if you ever get into that. Very very very nice processor, larger L2 cache too.

2GB RAM would do the trick nicely

11. slick316 macrumors 6502

I actually just put together a gaming pc (I really wanted a Mac Pro, but it was too much for me right now, and all I wanted was a gaming pc).

Anyways, I went with the C2D E6600, 2GB ram, and a 7900GT 256mb PCIe.

Its really fast, games run great on it (running Half Life 2: Episode 1 at 1920x1200, full details, 2xAA, 16xAF, its fantastic.)

Only reason I went with the E6600 is because I will be keeping this PC for a while and wanted the best I could afford.

12. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Thats a killer PC, really.
    Its a powerful desktop station, would work for any intense CPU or GPU program (ie, Photoshop,premiere,3D modeling, editing, DVD authoring), but its also a very solid gamming station, you would be able to run Quake 4 great!.
    Good luck (dont get the mac pro, to much cash for a gamming PC)
    PD:the 7900gs is one of the better cards available.

Good Luck!

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

That's because the standard XP theme is waaaaay too gaudy, especially for business computing, which I presume is where most Pro installations are.

I know when I started at my job, the very first thing I did was change the theme back to Windows classic. The second thing I did was delete the Games folder. Best nip temptation in the bud... :)

14. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I just noticed the 2MB vs. 4MB cache difference on the two chips. That might be 150 bucks well spent.

I'm in the same boat. I bought a Samsung PC right after I got married 7 years ago and, while it has morphed somewhat into the machine I currently have, I have not gone out and bought a new machine in that 7-year period.

-Squire

15. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I forgot about xp's appearance. I've been using window blinds for a long while now. :D

16. Carguy172 macrumors member

What you want to get is a 2.4 ghz with 2 gb's of ram that Nivdia is excellent.

and for all you complaining about xp stop the only reason anyone gets a virus is becuase they start screwing around so stop screwing around and you will be fine

17. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. The machine also comes with a SoundBlaster X-fi 7.1 sound card, too, which is nice. Now, I just have to convince my wife that it's more than just a gaming machine.

-Squire

18. Carguy172 macrumors member

Tell her it's supports the future applications and products.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Processor: E6600 with the additional cache benefits certain apps, and improvements will be more noticeable with later software.

Pro.

2Gb. You don't need much more as Windows does VM better than Mac.

As others have said, 7900GS is fine.

Are you getting the XPS service?

As for gaudiness, you could always pair Objectdock with Winplosion along with a tasteful theme if you want some of the OS X / Expose look.

20. Carguy172 macrumors member

XPS service comes standard but you can extend it or get complete care warranty which is good for spills and whatnot

21. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I am not 100% on this, but I think with XP Pro you can use Remote Desktop to control your PC from your Mac (and other PCs for that matter), which is an important feature for me. I do not think this is available in XP Home.

Now I know there are free ways to do this with VNC, but-gasp!-the MS remote desktop solution is really easy to use, and I think it is one of their best products.

I wish it were that easy to remote control a Mac, but I am too lazy to set up a VNC solution and I ain't paying for Apple's solution.

If I am wrong, someone will surely correct me.

Good Luck on your purchase.

22. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Just found this recently: On the remote computer, turn on "Apple Remote Desktop" in Sharing prefs and turn on the VNC option in "Access Priv"

Then use a free VNC client like "Chicken-of-the-VNC" on the controlling machine. Works great. Apple easy on the server side, and the free client on other.

23. kingtj macrumors 68020

XP Pro vs. Home, etc.

Actually, if you have a dual-processor system, you need to purchase XP Pro to make use of both CPUs. XP Home only supports one.

Also, the "Alienware" line of "gaming PCs" has been getting a lot of bad press recently for poor reliability and so on. Don't be too upset that it's not available in your area.... If you want a Dell PC for your wife, I'd say a Dimension system including a large hard drive, 1-2GB of RAM, and a good 3D video card will do just fine. Only thing you'll miss is the "custom styling" of an Alienware case.

24. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Dual-core vs. dual processor

But it will still support a single dual-core chip, won't it? Or no?

-Squire

<edit> It says "Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support" on Microsoft.com. Hmmm...thanks for pointing that out to me.

25. kingtj macrumors 68020

Dual cores and XP Home

Yes.... a dual-core CPU is still one *physical* CPU. XP Home simply has the code stripped out of it to handle multiprocessing across CPUs sitting in multiple sockets on a motherboard. (EG. If you have a true dual-processor system and XP Home, and you run the CPU load monitor, it will only draw one graph showing CPU load. It only monitors CPU #1.)