I like a smaller screen.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luqtotheman, Feb 12, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2012
    North Carolina
  3. macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2013
    No, you're not the only one. A phone is always going to be a compromise as far as the screen is concerned, so why make it a compromise in the phone department as well? The larger phones look ridiculous and feel uncomfortable to hold when being used as a phone. IMO they are trying too hard to be the master of all trades, and ultimately they sacrifice too much in the process.
  4. Feed Me, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Jan 7, 2012
    Location Location
    And as such, the thread comes to a close.

Except: this is the internet:
    Where no infraction upon my opinion shall be tolerated, and therefore: this thread will run into 6 pages of to-ing and fro-ing.

Godspeed to you all.
  5. macrumors 68020

Oct 26, 2008
    I like the smallest device possible. I've been wanting a 3.5 wrapped in a smaller body. I go mountain biking with my phone and big phones get in the way.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2008
    I don't really care if they make a bigger iPhone. But if they do, they better keep the smaller one too. If the only iPhone is bigger than 4", I'll have to either keep my 4S or just get a 5 next time I upgrade.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Apr 28, 2011
    I would like a slightly wider phone than the 5. Doesn't have to be Note size, but something close to s3 would be nice.

I mainly like to read books on my phone. And just a touch bigger would be perfect for me.

Also, I already use two hands on my iPhone 4 to text/type, so that wouldn't be an issue.
  8. macrumors 68000

Nov 2, 2006
    And Yourself?
    I love the size of the iPhone 5. I could tolerate a larger screen but wouldn't prefer it to be bigger, if that makes sense haha.
  9. macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2013
    you must have really small hands. My wife uses her GS3 with one hand all day and twice on Sunday.

You should play a youtube video on your iPhone and on a SGS3 side by side and see where your eyes go.
  10. macrumors 68020

Sep 25, 2012
    Don't feel bad. I wanted a triangular screen. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.

Wow, your iPhone must take a beating. What case do you have? Otterbox Sherman Tank Edition?
  11. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2012
    I'm. 6'4 with big hands i can easily hold a mini ipad easily.
  12. macrumors 65816

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm sorry but you need to check out the galaxy note 2 and tell me if battery is an issue. Remember, a larger phone will mean a larger battery. Also, larger phones don't require 326 ppi in order to look good.

I personally feel that a 4.3-4.5" screen would do the iPhone justice. I struggle with the keyboard due to having large hands.
  13. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2011
    I went from the 4s to the 5 and thought at first, that there was not that much difference and got used to the 5. Now when I have my wife's 4s to sync or work on it for her, it looks and feels so small. I know it isn't but it is amazing what we get used to
  14. macrumors 6502

Dec 19, 2012
    I do not want anything bigger than the 5. TBH, I was fully satisfied with the 4s size but now have grown accustomed to the size of the 5. I don't think I'd want much bigger though unless they can somehow make the top/bottom smaller.... I already ditched the case cause all of the iPhone 5 cases just make the thing *that* much bigger...
  15. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2011
    Agreed on no bigger in size. Feel the 5 is perfect, at least for me
  16. macrumors 68040

Nov 20, 2008
    Agreed the iPhone 5 is a good size. With all these rumors of a 4.8" screen, I'm not really happy about it. I would hate to jump ship from Apple, but I can't go bigger than 4". It's a phone, not a tablet.
  17. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2011
    Agreed if they change and don't offer the present size I would have to leave
  18. macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2011
    I love the size of the iPhone 5 screen.
  19. macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2008
    So Cal
    I dont know, I think the iphone looks kind of funny when people talk on it, its so tiny..
  20. macrumors 68020

May 6, 2008
    It's the long talked about iPhone Nano/Mini...
  21. macrumors 68030

Nov 10, 2010
    You guys who keep pining for a teeny, tiny phone ever think that maybe a smartphone just may not be for you?
  22. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    I like small screens and I cannot lie
    You other users can't deny
    That when a phone walks in with an itty bitty screen
    And a square thing in your face
    You get sprung, wanna pull out your tough
    'Cause you notice that screen was stuffed
    Deep in the jeans she's wearing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
    Oh iPhone, I wanna get with you
    And take your picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    But that screen you got makes me so ornery
    Ooh, phone-o'-smooth-skin
    You say you wanna get in my Benz?
    Well, use me, use me
    'Cause you ain't that average texter
    I've seen them textin'
    To hell with callin'
    Don't dip it in sweat, wet,
    Got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette
    I'm tired of magazines
    Sayin' big screens are the thing
    Take the average tech man and ask him that
    It's gotta pack petite back
    So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
    Has your phone got the small screen? (Hell yeah!)
    Tell 'em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
    Shake that healthy screen!
    Baby got back!
  23. macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2012
  24. macrumors 65816

Nov 15, 2011
    I don't really see how 1/2 inch is really a big deal. It's not like the Galaxy Note 2. I feel like 4 inches is the sweet spot...
  25. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2010
    I have the 4s but wouldn't mind slightly larger. I had considered switching to motorola razr m which is 4.3" and I think a perfect size but the screen is subpar compared to iphone and the camera is not good either. i'll probably switch to iPhone 5. Not really interested in 5" iPhone.