i like everyone's personal websites

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 18, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i looked at ambitious lemon's site, hemingray's, rower_cpu's, ensign paris', krossfyter's and many others

i only have microsoft front page 2000 and i have a few simple websites from yahoo but they are too basic looking

what software programs do you people use for your great looking sites?

2. job macrumors 68040

job

I know a lot of people use Bbedit and GoLive.

I just use Bbedit. :)
    And Blogger.com. :rolleyes:

3. theranch macrumors 6502

I use...

I use...
    DreamweaverMX (in code view)
    FlashMX
    Photoshop for graphics
    FireworksMX for basic graphics and slicing

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I use...

Dreamweaver MX & Photoshop 7 mostly, with a little bit of Flash MX here and there ;)

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

jef, i'm so dissapointed you didn't mention my site.....;)

but anyway, I use GoLive, been using it since v 2.0 - haven't gotten around to getting 6 yet, hopefully soon.

D

6. iGav macrumors G3

GoLive 6 totally rules.......
    BBEdit for the necessary clean up that WYSIWYG generators spurt out on the odd occasions........

Very occasionally Flash....... although I'm now using LiveMotion.......
    And lot's of Shockwave content........

When things get really heavy I get a developer in.........

7. sneed macrumors regular

BBedit is the way to go for HTML, JavaScript, etc. If you aren't too comfortable with HTML, JavaScript, etc., I would suggest Dreamweaver, or better yet a couple of O'Reilly mans. :)

Beyond BBedit,
    I use Photoshop, ImageReady, Illustrator (old habits die hard,) for most graphic elements.

When I'm feeling daffy, I'll use Flash, Director, After Effects, Media Cleaner, or anything else that I can get my hands on.

If I am feeling really daffy, I'll whip out the QTVR studio.

I think the thing to remember though is that having a strong idea is the key. There are a lot of great looking sites out there with nothing to say other than someone has way too much free time. If you have something to say, frontpage should probably do the trick.

What was the question again?

8. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I'm still at Dreamweaver 4, but I love it even if it runs in classic, I'd like to upgrade, but I got the whole studio setup and only Freehand wouldn't need an X upgrade, so screw it.

PS, My site is rough looking right now as I have been ignoring it for a little while;)

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'm also disappointed i didn't egt a mention! :)

Fireworks MX
    Dreamweaver MX
    Photoshop 7
    Illustrator 10

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I use Photoshop, BBedit, Imageready and that Pagemill program a bit.
    Give jef a break, what was he going to do? Mention all 2000 members with a website.

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I was joking. Should have put a bucnh of ;)'s after

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I was joking too. It just seemed like everyone wanted a mention by the legendary jefhatfield.

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

oh yeah, and that flossing site;)

sounds like dreamweaver, golive, and bbedit sound like very popular titles so far

but what the heck is bbedit and who makes it? i hear people spout the name but i have never seen it in stores

i may put a link to my pathetic yahoo free site (the one you make in five minutes...more like 2 hours)...the info is interesting but there are no images i use outside of the provided clip art and the digital camera i have is very poor for that type of stuff

but i am not one for too many graphics or photos since that's what all the pros tell me is the first mistake of a beginner like me...to load the site with pictures and have no content;)

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

oooh, don't say that, it will just go to his head.....:D

15. job macrumors 68040

job

Bbedit is a pretty robust HTML/word processing program. Think TextEdit with b@lls. :D

They make a "lite" version that is free. I'm not sure what the URL is though.......

16. sneed macrumors regular

Barebones software (The BB in BBedit.) You can buy it separately, or it used to come with Dreamweaver I think, it may still. You should be able to find BBedit through macmall in any case.

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

thanks for the info!

my websites, now on yahoo, have info on model boat building, guitar collecting, a bit on computers, a proposed comedy page, and a wine tasting page...all really pretty trivial stuff;)

i just want to make something a little more pleasing to the eye

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

oh, then i am a macrumors legend like spikey;)

20. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Well, I guess I might as well jump on the "everbody go look at my homepage" bandwagon. :D Mine's at <http://www.dalqe.com/>. I use straight-up BBEdit and Photoshop. I have GoLive, but I find it too damned clunky for my needs. Plus, I don't have PHP installed on my machine, so I like that I can save my work directly to my host's server from BBEdit.

Anyway, let me know what you think of it. :)

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

>oh, then i am a macrumors legend like spikey;)

A very horny one at that! :eek:

cleo, excellent site. It loads lightning fast on Mozilla with dial-up. It doesn't have all the fascinating graphics of a professional web page, but this is a terrific start. Keep rollin'. :cool:

22. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Thanks, KC! :D I'm actually not a huge fan of graphic-intensive personal sites. Many of my friends and family are using AOHell to dial-up, and I'd rather they spend their time on the content rather than fancy graphics.

That, and I'm still trying to figure Photoshop out. :D

23. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm not sure if you saw a website that I made, that is similar to mine. My website isn't online right now. I took it down for updating, and other stuff, but you can see my Boy Scout troop's website at http://homepage.mac.com/g4scott .

I just used text edit, iPhoto (for the photo galleries) and I borrowed someone photoshop machine for some of the graphics

Just a question... Does the shadow around the sidebar format correctly in your browser?

Oh, and yes, I did notice that the index.html page doesn't have the </body> and </html> tags at the end... Gotta go fix it now...

24. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

jef, what about mine, I haven't done mine in a while

dreamweaver make things backwards and is not for begginners
    golive is much better

25. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I use GoLive, PhotoShop, Illustrator and LiveMotion. Think I'm and Adobe man? However, I'm not much of a designer. My new partner is and she uses the same tools along with InDesign 2.0 There be an update soon.

GoLive is a great wysiwyg editor, but it has a steeper learning curve than DreamWeaver. I prefer GoLive, but I may be bias because my sister works for Adobe.