i like watching movies, but listening to them is wicked too!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hammer_horror, Mar 2, 2005.

1. hammer_horror macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2005
    hi all,
    i kinda know a wee bit about divx and all its pals and i know avi's are crazy fun. so here is my problem i have a quicktime avi movie when opened the picture is fine, but there is no sound. i checked the audio properties and its compressed with "ms" i'm no expert by any means so i don't have a clue what "ms" compression is. i had a guess it might be ms-mpeg4 but alas no....so if anyone knows i would love to hear from you!! that would be smashing :)
  2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    this usually means you don't have the right codec.
  3. hammer_horror thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2005
    er... sorry i know that i don't have the right codec. i don't know what codec i need though, is there a search engine or has anyone heard of "ms"
  4. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Try opening it in VLC or MPlayerOSX. They generally have all the codecs you could possibly want preinstalled. Lose Quicktime for movies.
  5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    So, what codecs do you have already? Perhaps we know one you're missing.
  6. hammer_horror thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2005
    whats the problem with quicktime? i think its very nice and its been good to me!
    anywho the codec i needed was AC3 codec. i dunno the in's and out's of it all but suffice to say, smashing. thanks to the peeps at divx forum. and thank you all. i googled my way here and i think i'll stay :)