I lost my checkbook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Jul 17, 2006.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

I'm still hoping it's here behind a piece of furniture or something, but.... :(

I went to the bank and ordered a Stop Payment on the remainder of that batch of checks, then I went online with my bank and set up a bunch of daily alerts so they'll email me anytime a significant debit occurs in my account. If something weird does go down involving the use of my checking account number, theoretically I can stop ir cancel it.

I am hesitant to close out the account and open a new one, because I'm set up for auto-debiting on so many utility payments, student loans, etc. And if I went through all that and then found the stuipd checkbook I'd strangle myself. So, have I done pretty much all I can do for now, or have I overlooked anything?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

A lot of places wont take checks anymore.

Also a lot of the time people need to list phone numbers or license number and show ID to be able to pay with a check

3. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Sounds like you've covered your bases. When I've lost my checkbook, I've always found it a few days later, buried in a book, between the car seats, etc.

Just keep an eagle eye open....

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Yeah but alot of online places take checks like CCs, and many ppl are taking check by phone. All they ask for is the routing and account numbers.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I didn't even think that was legal without some other form of ID.

At least i thought it was that way in MA

6. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well for now I've taken the additional step of moving most of the dough to my savings account at a different bank, leaving just enough to cover my auto-debits so I don't have to contact a zillion different creditors (and probably forget a critical one or two).

By coincidence, I got an offer from my checking bank today of a $100 bonus if I open a second checking account with money not transfered directly from their own banks. So I'll guess I'll end up earning an extra $100 as compensation for my mental anguish. :D

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... my wife is the queen of losing things that she then finds later. Her wallet/checkbook has gone missing a couple times so far. Just about 2 weeks ago she got a brand-new Spyderco pocketknife to replace the one she was anguished about losing. Last week we found her old one, so now she has two!

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd start moving to a new checking account. The amount of time it would take to move to a new checking account is less than it would take to attempt to rectify somebody using your account and also moving to a new account. Get a statement from your bank from the past month or two and then you can see who all is auto-debiting from your account. Make a list and transfer them over.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I haven't written a cheque for at least 4 years or possibly longer... are they still widely used in the US?

For me, it's bills and the like, groceries etc. all by debit or credit card or internet banking. Mind you, I haven't made any large transactions like a second-hand car...

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Rent is the only thing I can think of that I write a check for. Everything else that comes through the mail I can pay online.