I LOST my free space!...?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wako, Dec 19, 2005.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Alright, i dont know why but for some reason my HDD claims it only has 798mb left of space. However when I add up all the folders total size it only comes to 47.79. The HDD is suppose to have a capacity of 55.77gb!

WHERE IS MY SPACE!

This started happening when i was downloading stuff using Shakespeer. I hadnt noticed that my external HDD turned off and when I come back it says I dont have anymore free space!

I been doing searches throughout my computer looking for files that should have been saved in my external HDD but must have been saved into my internal HDD. Where could it have gone?! I WANT MY SPACE BACK!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not everything installed and part of the OS is viewable in the Finder. Mainly because people would just throw it away..

What the hell is this private folder? <trash>

4. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

you mean you're not supposed to open Terminal and start trashing everything you don't use?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thankfully for most Mac users, Terminal == code == scary == avoid

6. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Unfortunately the problem that I have is not a account issue. I never created additional accounts.

is there a way to see hidden folders in Finder?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The methods listed work regardless of *why* the space is unaccounted for.

8. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

In terminal type

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    Then restart the finder by typing
    killall Finder
    To re-hide the folders just change the TRUE to FALSE and restart the finder.
    You could also try a program called WhatSize http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/index.php

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

For the love of cheese, don't go throwing away stuff that you don't know what it is.. There's a reason that stuff was hidden from you in the Finder.

10. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

How about the fact that most hard drives are not the size they really claim to be, plus the added overhead with file formatting... You might be down to that size... :eek:

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

I expect that's already been accounted for--that's why wako said the hard drive should be 55.8GB, not 60GB, which is what I assume it was branded as.

I'm assuming you've tried restarting here; if there's something you were running that went berserk with virtual memory, that could all be eaten up by swapfiles, in which case rebooting will bring it back (it will also delete some temporary files). If that don't help, it must be something else.

12. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Laser47... you were the most help :)

However, being scared that I might delete some random things and create a system crash, I didnt delete anything.

I was wondering about taking my system to the Mac store and let them fix it. Any objection to that? Would they even know how to fix something like this on the spot? I dont want my computer to be gone to a service depot

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Try CacheOut X to delete caches and temporary files. DeLocalizer to delete foreign language resources. This doesn't anwer the original question of why, but it does free up some disk space. May as well repair permissions with Applications: Utilities: Disk Utility too, while you are at it.

14. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, the first thing I thought when I found the problem was quickly doing a repair permission thing, and it did indeed apparently need one (it was in bold and red for me to repair after I did a verify check thing).

I'm going to go check out CacheOut X right now, because I do think it is temporary files.

An interesting thing I found just now was when I did a full scan with "WhatSize" it actually got the exact size the disk should be and claims it is. However, when it tells you how much space is left it is incorrect. Its like there are phantoms in my HDD!

15. MacEffects macrumors 6502

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You delete something! :eek: :rolleyes: