I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MACS! except for these things...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CHINAdeals, Dec 3, 2006.

1. CHINAdeals macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006
    Alrite, a new mac user here..picked up a black macbook about 2 months ago.

well here a list of things I can't seem to get around with OS X

1. using quicktime + firefox is BRUTAL..is there anyway to 1. get full screen when watching vid clips, 2. NOT have the browser crash/player crash when you right click?

2. I can't seem to use the 'backspace' to return to the PREVIOUS folder when using finder..(like in windows...when you double click a folders inside folders..and press back..it'll return to the previous folder)

3. Is there anyway to run avi clips with VLC + use frontrow?..I'm stuck using VLC player and running it manually..NOT from frontrow...or do i need to purchase a legit copy of quicktime so it can play divx files?

4. what the hell is INTERFERENCE ROBUSTNESS..i tried google..no luck..its under wireless interent.

5. there's no button to 'expand' a window to fill the screen is there?

Anyways..besides that..i really love my mac..I think i'll stick with the os for a while now..at least for laptops..everything justlooks so much nicer.
  2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Howdy new Mac user. :)

2. Command+[ and Command+] do essentially what you need.

3. Try Perian. It allows you to run divx stuff in Quicktime. Download Flip4Mac too.

4. a thread on interference robustness. You need Apple Airport to make it work.

5. When an app is active, it already fills the entire screen. Only its window is "windowed" there is no maximize as there is on Windows. Different way of working.

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo
  3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    1. No. 2. Try using Safari. Why have you jumped to Firefox so soon?

You can press Command + [

No, because VLC is not QuickTime. Instead, install Flip4Mac and Perian for QuickTime. Forget about VLC.

If you have a Microwave (or something) in between your computer and your router, it helps.

No, because this is generally an inefficient way of working. The green button "zooms" your window, expanding it to best fit the content. It's called intelligent window resizing, and its been a traditional function of Macs for decades.
  4. CHINAdeals thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006
    TY spicyapple and dpaanlka

Well i jumped to firefox just b/c the interface is a little better to use and i'm used to it.

At first safari didn't have tabbed browsing either.

So does safari have the full screen double click?

I d/l'd perian. I hope it works !

Hrm also another concern:

Is there anyway to close the computer lid and NOT have it go to sleep? (relating to that..so I could use an external monitor+keyboard to control it with the lid closed?)
  5. chasemac macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2005
    In a house.
    I know that the ibook will not work that way. only the macbook pro. Probably the same with your macbook. :)
  6. tominated macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
    Try looking in the energy tab of system preferences, i don't know if it will work, because i only have an iMac
  7. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    The Intel iMacs and Macbooks don't have the screen spanning limitation that were in the PPC models, and the Macbook apparently does support clamshell mode. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=213420

Note you need a wired mouse and/or KB to wake it up in that mode. It'll still go to sleep you can just wake it up.

8. chasemac macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2005
    In a house.
    Nice to know. Obviously, I haven't adapted yet. PPC still going strong.:)
  9. CHINAdeals thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006
    alrite swtich over to quicktime vs. VLC player

i like the full screen controls

BUT i was wondering if there are any 'scan' controls like in vlc player. (hold APPLE + ALT + right key/left key)..this makes the vid skip 10 sec forward/back..is there anything like this in quicktime? (when i try using the bar to scroll forward and back..it goes by intervals..and each interval is a minute or so..- and to note..'fastforward/backward buttons are sooooo slow)