I love my new iMac Duo, but hate the mighty mouse!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Todd H, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Todd H macrumors regular

Todd H

Ok, I just switched from Windows to Mac. I bought the 20" iMac Duo and am absolutely in love with the machine. The mouse is a different story however.

I've tried getting used to it to no avail. It just hurts my hand. Is there a decent alternative that matches the color scheme of my new iMac? Thanks.

2. mkaake macrumors 65816

I just use a 5 dollar generic (made by logitech, different company logo) white 2 button mouse w/scroll... looks the part, and matched my budget...

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Go with Logitech if you can find one in white. (or if you can't, just get one a different color) I have a Logitech Cordless Click! mouse and it's GREAT. I totally recommend Logitech.

4. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

The logitech laser mouse is supposed to be pretty cool... but then black is the best option as it will at least be a nice contrast to your imac rather than the cra**y charcoal one.

5. impierced macrumors 6502

impierced

I bought the, now shipping, Logitech® Cordless Desktop® S 530 Laser for Mac® and will admit I'm extremely happy with it.

Love the silver and white as it matches my Cinema display. :)

It's also the first Logitech product sold exclusive to the Mac market. Hell hath froze over.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

Didn't Logitech start out as a Mac-only company (back in the 80's)? I know my genuine Apple mouse shows up in System Profiler as a Logitech.

7. Todd H thread starter macrumors regular

Todd H

I ended up ordering the new Razer Pro 1.6. If it doesn't do the job, I'll send it back and try the Logitech mentioned above. Thanks.

8. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

or even an optical wired usb microsoft mouse. i used one with my g5 and love it

9. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

since the LCC doesn't run on the intel imacs (from what i've read...could be wrong about this) i'm assuming that none of you w/logitech mice are able to program the buttons yet...anyone?

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

You probably can. I didn't install the Logitech software and I was able to program all of my buttons, except for the side scrolling on the scroll wheel. I guess it's set as an application switcher by default and there's no way of changing it unless you use the Logitech drivers.

11. Todd H thread starter macrumors regular

Todd H

My Razer Pro 1.6 is scheduled to be delivered this afternoon. I'll post some thoughts when I get it.

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I use a Logitech MX1000 and if I could afford to, I'd buy one for every computer in the house. :)

13. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i have successfully programmed my Logitech MX 510 for functions such as exposé (centre click scroll wheel) volume up /down (cruise control buttons) show all current app windows (app switcher button) then what would be on xp, internet forward and back (this feature doesnt work in safari or OS X as far as i know) i use them for dashboard and show desktop respectively. you have to download the OSX logitech mouse driver software from their website, but after fiddling around with it you can program every button.

S

14. andylane macrumors newbie

I reckon half the battle with Mac mice is the speed/acceleration. I'm not sure how to make the acceleration windows-like without SideTrack, but MouseZoom is good for upping the speed.

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

mx 1000

get the mx 1000 all the way, works great and feels great.
    do an alert setup on fatwallet or something, they are coming in at 35-40$ delivered these days.

16. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

FYI, USB Overdrive (see versiontracker.com) has been updated for Intel, and can program just about any USB mouse or controller.

17. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Probably the closest your gonna get is the sony mouse. They have black and white colors, it matches pretty well, and its small and comfortable.

VAIO Optical Mobile Mouse

18. tivoboy macrumors 68030

logitech

don't you like the new logitech keyboards and mice made for MAC?

19. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Not for me. I like the apple keyboard, but the sony mouse is nicer IMO.
    Simple and easy. Just my preference for simple but comfortable. I really dislike logitech stuff its like some kinda cyborg attachment with all those buttons and stuff!

20. ChrisA macrumors G4

I have a white Microsoft mouse. The one with the LED on the bottom in place of the ball

21. Todd H thread starter macrumors regular

Todd H

I just got the Razer Pro 1.6. What an improvement! I didn't even have to remap the buttons. I plugged it in an it was immediately recognized. Even the side buttons open Expose without any remapping. All of this is without even installing the included drivers.

As for feel, this thing blows away both the Mighty Mouse and the Microsoft Intellimouse that I use on my XP box. HIGHLY recommended.

Edit: Turns out I couldn't install the drivers on my Intel iMac anyway. Seems they aren't compatible with the Core Duo Macs. As soon as they release compatible drivers I'll give them a test run. Until then the mouse works very well without them.

22. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Good call on ditching the Mighty Mouse...soon the trackball will get gunked up, and will stop scrolling up or down..it's just a matter of time

then you will find yourself scrubbing the thing upside down, on a wet cloth trying to get the uncomfortable and awkward mouse to work properly again....

23. Anawrahta macrumors member

Hey I'm really interested in this to replace my current set up. Does the keyboard have low profile keys? ie. similar to a laptop keyboard or are they big and regular sized? I'm personally after a keyboard that has the lower profile style.

24. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I got a LX7 with my 17" Core Duo, I use USBOverdrive with it. It's shareware but it works fine without registration, only a few reminders here and there.

25. jrk07 macrumors regular

I really didn't like the mighty mouse at first, mainly because of the difficulty I had at right-clicking. I just couldn't figure out why I had to move my finger so far over to right-click, but then I figured out that I had to life up my finger off of the left mouse button and it works everytime without having to be way far over to the right. Now I have gotten used to it and enjoy it somewhat. I am still not 100% happy (i don't really like the feel of the ball, and I hate the squeez button and had to disable it), but at least its better than those old iMac puck mice which I consider the WORST MOUSE EVER.