I Love my Xbox 360!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by AJ Muni, Dec 26, 2005.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Just wanted to say that i am in love with it. when i first got it, i was kinda skeptical but after playing it for a full month, i got to say it is the machine to have. I'm not one of those Sony vs Microsoft guys, or am i going to hate on Sony... In my mind its preference, but it just kinda irrates me that people crap on the 360 saying that it sux, and sony is gonna be so much better. But how can people compare it with the ps3 not even out yet??:confused: :confused: I guess they are just haters, and haters have to hate. I gotta give credit to microsoft for developing an EXCELLENT XBOX LIVE for the 360. Its so easy to use, and i love the fact that if a freind comes online, ill be able to join in his game right away. The voicemail system, the ranking....all of it. It kinda reminds me of Apple OSX (every1 calm down!!) in the sense that the whole system works as a whole (the 360 with live, and with the games, downloading demos, playing my own music from the HD while im playing CoD 2) IMO live is worth the $50 a year. I also feel sorry for those whos 360's have died or have had any problems. I just hope that they understand they ARE REV. A...and we should of expected these kinda things, same as we shall experience with Rev A. mactels.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

$50 a month?! :eek:

There goes my plans for buying an Xbox 360 thrown out the window. LOL.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

lol sorry im still hung over from x-mas..i fixed it

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Microsoft has always charged $50 a year for online play, with the first XBox and now the 360. IMHO, silly. It's free everywhere else- at least offer a free option. Some people don't care about it but I'm a cheapskate :p And since I'd have to spend $99 for WiFi, if I had a 360 I probably would end up not playing online :(

You know what annoys me about this fact?
    We shouldn't have to expect that new equipment to come out will always be defective. Perhaps with new computers that do everything- but with dedicated gaming devices?
    This is not a fanboy statement. The whole "Expect defective consoles" thing started with the crappy build quality of Sony and Microsoft (Sony worse than Microsoft). Nintendo and Sega did not have these kind of problems that I am aware of (if I did not know, please correct me). There were no mass problems with the first NES's to ship. No mass problems with the first SNES's. No mass problem with the first N64's. No mass problems with the first GameCubes. No mass problems with the Sega Genesis. No mass problems with the Sega CD or 32X or Saturn (that I am aware of, the system was so rare I never have actually seen one) or Dreamcast.

The NES would have a hard time reading cartridges after years but this wasn't a Rev A problem.

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I have never felt lover for a MS product, I didn't realise it was possible.

6. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I'm pretty sure they do offer a free option which is the xbox live silver, but with that one i think you can only play online like 2 weekends a month
    ...fine just pay monthly then..i think its like $6 which is totally worth it.

7. CalGrunt macrumors regular

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's true. Sony is worse than microsoft for quality, the laser in both ps1 & ps2 sucks balls; and yeah I don't remember the NES/MASTERSYSTEM or SNES/MEGADRIVE having these problems. Occasionally the cartridge slot might get crap lodged in which prevented cartridge being seen, but kept clean I never had a problem with them.

Ps1 I had three, I bought two in 1995 and then they both were dead by about 1996 I bought another Dec 96, but was played less than original 2 as I was onto Saturn & N64 as well by then.
    Ps2 I'm on my Third (2 fat ps2's died - Slim ps2 from its launch still going)
    Xbox on my second (First had the dodgy Toshiba drive that wouldn't read some games) the second is going strong.

But all my Sega & Nintendo consoles were only ever bought once and those which I still have (I've given away a lot to friends and relatives) all still work.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

XBox Live Silver is downloadable patches and stuff, there is no online play, except for special occasions (such as a new game release or something) called "XBox Live Silver Weekends".

I'm talking about the "Rev A" comparison. As stated above, "expect problems if you buy a Rev A".
    The XBox had that defective power cord and defective Toshiba DVD drives IIRC.
    The PS2 had defective DVD drives en mass, especially the earlier ones.

Sony has worse build quality than Microsoft, definitely. I'm just saying that since Microsoft and Sony entered the market, that's when this idea of "Rev A products are always buggy" entered the console world. It's not a law of nature or something.

You're right, Mass Problems is definitely the wrong word and I know it's not that widespread. The majority have working 360's. But there are still a number with failing ones (as shown by more than one member's 360's failing on this board) and heat issues and disk scratching issues which will probably be fixed within a month on the newer models.

And unless Sony makes a turnaround, the PS3 will probably be worse in terms of build quality. The PSP and PS2 had mass problems, much more than the 360, and the PS2's DVD drive died faster than a fire in vacuum.

I'm just saying that the whole "Rev A always have problems" doesn't have to be that way.

11. cvalda macrumors member

$50 a month for Xbox Live is an incredibly good deal. What you are paying for is DEDICATED SERVERS. Every online game is on their own servers that do not get taken down until Xbox Live shuts down. The only exception for this is MMORPGs, but even those COULD be put on Live, if the company that made the game didn't want to charge a monthly fee for the game (unlikely).

Sony's online is free, because the game companies themselves create their own servers for each game and that causes huge problems. There are fewer dedicated servers, harder to maintain, more lag, etc. Also, each online game for the PS2 will act differently, very differently, because each company will have different server software and hardware. It's not a very stable system, and the servers could get dropped at any time.

You're also paying for a really easy to use and convenient service that provides you will plenty of neat things. $50 for a YEAR is nothing to complain about.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Trust me, anything over 1/1000 is a "mass problem". If it's enough to make the news, it's a mass fault.

cvalda, the difference is that now, Nintendo are going to (and already kinda do) offer the same service for free

13. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

You could'nt of said it better man! I feel exactly like that...i remember playing with my ps2 online, always lagging...all the glitches in the game...and most of all DAMN CHEATERS!!! And like i said above the system works as a whole, like apple does.

I think its a Year...lol..i made the same mistake in my initial post, but then edited it and fixed it..

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This sounds like a good deal until you remember that:
    A) Coming from the PC world, most games already have dedicated servers- FREE.
    B) Nintendo is offering the same thing- FREE.
    C) Last we heard, Sony was offering the same thing (Centralized online server), and historically, they've been free as well.

This does not apply to the PS3 (centralized according to Sony at E3), nor to the Revolution (centralized and free), nor the PC (literally every game I have goes through GameSpy's servers, free).

XBox Live is better than PS2 online, yes. But for the next generation? Drop the price or allow Silver users to play with some limitations, please. (For example, GameSpy's network limits your buddy list to ten people if you're using the free version and gives you bonuses)

Say, do something like, less buddies, no video chat, and no avatars for people who don't pay.
    That's a full brand new game's price a year, when others offer the same thing free. I can complain about it if I want to :p

15. Cfg5 macrumors regular

It's $50 a year. Trust me, it's a lot better than free services that crap out on you.

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'm going to have to agree with you on the Xbox Live... I played PS2 online and it couldn't compare to the Xbox Live, and it isn't any different with Xbox 360. It reminds me alot of a cross between Tivo/OSX

I'm happy that you are loving your Xbox 360, because I'm in the same boat as you (hopefully it won't crash on me anytime soon :rolleyes: )

17. nimbus macrumors regular

I hope you don't mind me prodding, but that is so true. Perhaps certain company(s) shouldn't rush the cake out of the proverbial oven before it's baked and ready. I think Microsoft will learn their lesson from this major feax pas. But I think the public has been conditioned to their carelessness with their "killer" products. It's quite sad.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Will you effing STOP abusing the sarcastic smiley!

We get it. You don't like the Xbox 360! Now drop it! You're annoying! [And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so]

19. nimbus macrumors regular

I'm sorry if you think that. I have nothing against the Xbox 360. I want it to be a good system so that all systems will have to match and try to exceed it's standards which makes gaming much better for all of us.

I'd have a Xbox 360 right now if there was games in which I was interested in. But at the current moment, there isn't, so I'll wait. Maybe I'll get one when FFXI is released on it, that's a good game (though time consuming). I think my use of smily shouldn't upset you either. I don't have any kind of offensive avatar or sig or even posts. If anything, I am thoroughly offended by yours. I'm just a mac luvin' guy like all of us are. It's just that I have patience.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Moog101 macrumors member

I too love my Xbox 360 & Xbox live, but it doesn't have dedicated servers which host games. For instance, if you play Call of Duty 2 online, the first person into the lobby will be be the server. If you check the player details, one person will always have zero ping. The problem with this is it often makes the game very laggy if their connection can't handle 8 people playing once. This wouldn't happen as much if there were dedicated servers.

21. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

agreed, 1/100 broken is still too many, they knew this was going to be a huge release and they should have put them through more testing rather than release it ASAP so they could sell out for x-mas

22. Symtex macrumors 6502a

There is no Online PC Games that comes remotely close to the Xbox live implementation. Gamespy is crap compare to xbox live. I've played some ps2 title online like CoN and RtA and the online portion was just a mess.

6$ / month is definetly worthed to have 1 gamertag , 1 identity accross all game you've played. Each game has the same standard options and has to support voice chat. It makes the online experience seemingless between games. I can talk with a friend while I play a game offline or even when I'm playing online against someone else. up to 6 channel can be open at the same time.

I also have a gamercard which track my achievements. I can view anyones gamecard with only a few button press. I can scout my oponents : Did he finish the game on hard or easy or Did he finish the game at all ?

Someone might argue that there is more value in free but I haven't seen any free online network have the same stability as xbox live. The service has only been down 4 times in 4 years. They were shtudown for planidfied upgrades. The service is rock solid.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Correct, however the Xbox's (first and 360) all need to have broadband (or DSL) to connect to XBL. PS2 will let anyone, from a dial up to broadband play. Which is lame. Those who do not have high speed net access should NEVER be allowed to play a bandwidth intensive game online with others. They cause horrible lag, which is why PS2's online experience isn't great at all.

50 bucks a year is not bad at all. Hell, I could swing 50 a month if I wanted to. Xbox live silver enables you to do everything gold members can minus online play (except, as others have said, for the special occasions). Including downloading movie trailers, picture pacs, themes and Arcade games.

The whole idea that NES is so much better than the 360 simply because of defects is rediculous. Your talking about a system with practically no moving parts (accept the lid and the cartridge loader), compared with something that has an optical drive, hard drive, tray, and a vastly hottor internal system, with many more complex chips and boards.

There are going to be problems if its man-made. Besides, I don't think there was an industry to really smash the Nintendo Entertainment System 20 years ago. For all we know it may have had just as many problems initially.

I really don't see what the big deal is, especially when MS will replace the machine if they cannot repair what's faulty, for FREE.

I'm gald the OP loves his 360, I love mine too.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh I see, that makes sense. I was wondering why the hell COD2 was laggy at times and yet PD0 is not.

It does make some of the xbox live games a pain. You wait on the lobby with one or two people who persist on babling some annoying sound (ala Crazy Frog's retarded brother) and then some 6 year old starts asking if you'll let them win? WHAT???? only to sit there for 3-4 minutes getting really peeved off because 2 of the players havent bothered to set 'READY' and then finally just as a cloud of steam bursts out of your ears the game loading screen starts...

At this point a bit of the tension and angst dissipates, and then just as the game begins you start bashing into walls and running against invisible baricades due to serious lag... OH MY GOD!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!

So you like nearly everyne else leave the game and rejoin a match only to be sat in the lobby with different names but the same morons babbling....

It can be so exaspirating at times...

Why do we do it? All for those brief games where community spirit does shine through and lag dissapears and your left with a gaming moment that lingers...

25. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the world of Xbox live "Random dumbass" quickmatch rank games. I only play with my player from my friend list for that reason alone. I meet most of them during the Xbox live Beta testing back in august 2002.

Don't even try to play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory with a "Random Dumbass", Theses guys will make you lose your faith in humanity.