I love Pixar, but....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

what's with all the sponsorship/endorsement ads for/with the Incredibles...

I've seen one for Yahoo DSL, a laundry detergent, has anyone seen any others?

I really think its sad that Pixar sold out this way so blatantly - its not like they're having trouble making money, why do the product stuff? :rolleyes: :(
    D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Because they're a business and all business are lead by greedy bastards who spend their entire lives looking to make more and more $$$$ even when they don't need it?

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I think they do it because they make even more money. It is a two fold benefit to them. It promotest he movie and they make money from the sale. So you buy the stuff--MONEY--and you are reminded about the movie and you will remember to go see it--MORE MONEY.

I don't have any evidence on this, but I think George Lucas makes more money of the products and endorsements than he does off the movies. If it could work for him, it could work for Pixar.

And how is this selling out? wouldn't they have to have some statement about the over marketing of society or something for this to be selling out?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Lucas makes the royalties off of all of the toys and stuff from SWs, and that is an industry in itself. Not likely that The Incredibles will be THAT successful. :)

Maybe they felt like they needed the extra exposure for the film.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I was at my friend's house the other day, and she was giving my daughter some milk. Nothing strange, except that there was an Incredibles ad on the milk jug. Wow.

But really, I'm not all that surprised. You almost have to do it to maintain awareness. If you look at box office numbers, most movies drop 30-40% the week after release. To maintain momentum, you need to keep the movie in peoples minds.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Your gripe shouldn't be with Pixar, because they don't have anything to do with the promotions. The distributor does, and we all know who that is:

DISNEY!

That's who's doing all this crap, not Pixar.

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, why wasn't this happening to all the other Pixar movies - I don't remember Toy Story, Nemo or Monsters Inc. getting all the ads.....just thought it was a bit weird to be happening now.

D

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Hey, whatever funds future Pixar movies...doesnt bother me.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Usually the weaker the movie, the more the hype, to drive ticket sales. Strong movies don't need as much hype. Just a thought. Although the other Pixar movies have always done well.

10. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

i agree with the dawg

this is the first pixar movie that i've seen previews for and thought "man, that movie will suck."
    it really looks like it will not be that funny and the animation doesn't even seem to be on par with their past projects. at best, it's maybe not advancing (think about it, they probably didn't have g5's for finding nemo).

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ths type of Marketing tactic does definitely cheapen a movie/company/whatever in my opinion, but it's one of those necessary evils you just have to live with. It's a shame to see Pixar stooping to that level as well, they never had to do that with Nemo, Monsters, etc., but sometimes that's just the way it is. It still won't keep me from seeing the movie though - I'm curious to see how it will stack up against the other Pixar films...

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is true - case in point with The Matrix (not originally hyped) and Matrix Reloaded (hyped to hell). Throw in the new Star Wars movies as well - hyped excessively, and look at the quality of those films compared to the originals.

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I think I disagree on practically every point, but that's no biggie so I aint looking for flames, just opinion really. Incredibles looks good, to me, but then I like parodies. I couldn't warm to Nemo at all.

For me the Shark Tale promotion has been thown at my face more than Incredibles, and thus I have absolutely no intention of seeing it ....

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I think it might be because Disney doesn't think the movie will do well. Remember that Eisner told the Disney board that "Finding Nemo" was going to tank, and we all know how that turned out.

I don't think there's more promotion for "The Incredible's" than past Pixar movies. Usually, Disney partners with McDonald's to provide toys for happy meals, and they usually partner with other food distributors as well. I remember a TON of promotion for the "Toy Story" movies. I think you just notice them more now.

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Wait till you see it. It's the best film Pixar has ever made. Trust me.

Pixar uses Macs and PC's. They'll probably never be an Apple-only studio.

16. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

"POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!"
    ahhh my youth...

Attached Files:

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i doubt the Incredibles will be a weak/bad movie, Disney might think so and thus all the marketing, but i think there is at least one other explanation

all of Pixar's movies were geared towards kids especially, Monsters Inc, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, but i think the inreds is a bit more mature, and they are trying to get more than just kid sales, i think with this movie they want to expand their audience a bit more and thats why there is this heavy advertising, to try and get people to realize its not just a kid film

but hey thats just my two cents.

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In the book "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" it talks about how nobody new if Toy Story was going to do well at all so there was little, if any marketing done for it (no toys etc). Of course then the movie became super popular and Disney had to create and rush toys to market for parents to buy. Maybe they're just over compensating now...

I haven't seen that much Incredibles stuff myself. I might go see it in the theater if some friends are going or such but otherwise... I'll just buy it on DVD. There are few movies I'll see at the theaters these days anyway. That's why I've purchased a decent home entertainment center, so I don't have to go.

19. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Over here in the USA they have been on Pringles cans. On every chip it is a "print" of drawing's of them, or questions, here let me read one to you. What special powers does Mr. Incredible have?

Find out nov. 5th!!!! THE SUSPENSE!

20. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Allow me to reiterate: this is, in no way, connected to Pixar. Disney is the distributor and, under Pixar-Disney's current negotiated deal, Disney has marketing and promotion rights.

And honestly, I'm saturated in the world of children (I teach preschool), and I can't say that Disney is promoting "The Incredibles" with any more gusto or effort than it did "Monsters Inc." or "Finding Nemo." Film marketing and the promotional industry is, at any rate, an ever-growing industry -- and studios are constantly finding new ways to market films (like the Pringles; the company just discovered over the summer they can print on them, so why not?). You're just seeing new ways of promotion, and "The Incredibles" is simply (and unfortunately) one of the victims of this new "innovation."

Aside from that, I suspect Michael Eisner and the Disney board are getting more and more antsy each and every day over the fact that "The Incredibles" is their second to last film that they'll get out of their incredibly lucrative partnership deal with Pixar. If I was them, I'd be soaking a good thing for all it's worth before it's gone, too.

(But then, if I was on the Disney board, I'd demand that Eisner's retirement could not come soon enough and demand his immediate retirement. :p )

What do I think, at any rate? I think Pixar has an incredibly solid creative team, and I think "The Incredibles" will be a first-rate film -- a product of love, as all of Pixar's films have proven to be. If you'd honestly like to know more of what I think, I always find a film's quality highly suspect when you watch its trailer and they spend more time promoting the celebrity voice-acting and who contributes to the soundtrack than the actual film... ahem *Cough*"Shark Tale"*Cough.*

21. Macophile macrumors member

It's Disney, not Pixar. Disney distributes and markets the movies, which is why it was such a boon to Pixar to partner with them early on.

Disney's movies have not been doing well in the last few years. With the exception of the really good "Lilo and Stitch," the only animated movies released by Disney in the last few years that have done "Lion King" and "Aladdin" business have been the Pixar movies.

Pixar has decided that they don't need Disney anymore, that they've built up a sufficient brand name for themselves, and once their current contract comes to an end -- after the release of the next movie, "Cars," I believe -- the two will go their separate ways.

That means that Disney, losing the goose that has been laying its only golden eggs, needs to try and wring every last dime out of this partnership while it lasts. If it means tie-ins with phone companies and laundry detergents in addition to the usual Happy Meal stuff, so be it.

(Pixar probably has some veto power over what products are endorsed, but it's right to assume that their coffers are being filled by these arrangements as well.)

22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

It's no biggie. Every movie is promoted more than the last because the promotion is becoming as big as the movie itself.

Disney didn't promote "Home on the Range". They just let it suck ass on its own right.

There is no portent here...

23. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That makes more sense and I had forgotten about this - and you're right - Disney's Pixar Money Well will be drying up soon, so they're out to get as much as possible.

Sad it has to happen, but in the end, it really won't affect how well the movie was made :D

Pixar emphasizes the story line more than the animation - so I have no doubt that this movie will do really well. I can't wait to go see it :D

D

24. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

However, there have been rumors circulating that Stevie J might be taking over for Disney as CEO when Eisner retires...

But those are just rumors, though SJ hasn't denied anything.

25. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I just got back from the grocery store, where I saw a Kellogg's-Disney/Pixar Incredibles breakfast cereal. Strawberry flavored Incrediberry Blast. Oh, the hype of it all.