I Love Safari but...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by danrufus, Sep 24, 2004.

1. danrufus macrumors newbie

why can't I use internet banking websites.

Where does Steve Jobs keep his billions????
    Where is the mythical bank that is compatible with Safari????

The only reason I don't use this browser is because it doesn't access, banking and I hate using more than one.

APPLE DEVELOPERS, please fix this.

Thanks,
    A frustrated Safari banker

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Mine works fine, Alliance & Leicester. I think you'll also probably find it's the banks that refuse Safari access, rather than it being Apples fault.

3. danrufus thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Citibank UK and the internet login windows won't open properly (coding error?) in Safari...
    but work fine in Internet Explorer.

Just a pet peeve, on a friday morning...need more coffee...

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Exactly, they work in IE, and what can we conclude from this? Citibank have dumb web devs that code stuff for IE, to hell with standards! :rolleyes:

edit: what do you mean by won't open properly? is it a popup window not displaying? page rendered wrong? fields missing?

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Mine is perfectly OK with First Direct, and is sweet with my Egg accounts. Although I did use to have problems with the former, they were ironed out with the release of Safari 1.0. Those problems were when the popup window appeared, but didn't securely connect properly so shut me out.

But as I say, everything now is right rosy.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yep, no problems here with multiple banks.

Have you sent bug reports to Apple, or are you just venting about it on forums?

More likely the problem is with the developer of the bank's website.

7. danrufus thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I manually submit 'bug reports' to apple.

The Safari doesn't unexpectedly quit, just doesn't work.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Pretty easy.

Go to the page that doesn't work. Safari pull-down menu -> "Report Bugs to Apple..."

or

View pull-down menu -> Bug -> Go to the page that doesn't work -> press bug button in Safari menubar.

Again I say, it's more likely a problem with the website then with Safari.

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

This riles me more than anything else on the web. I tried to register for my university course yesterday and received the attached error message using both Firefox and Safari. I phoned to complain and they just asked why I wasn't using Internet Explorer. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. zim macrumors 65816

zim

It is not the web browser, I think it was already said here, it is the web developers that make the conscious decision to develop content that is not standard and thus will not be supported by anything but internet explorer.

Contacting the developers or the company and ask them to please reconsider the current web "solutions" and make their site more accessible by using web standards, typically they will say no or give a reason as to why they can not but in some cases you will receive free gifts is you cry foul... we got a load of coupons from company because we cried no fair :).

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I rarely run into any problems with Safari but if you do just use the Debug menu. It just tricks the website into thinking that you're using IE, without having to dirty yourself by actually using it.

If the Debug menu isn't up you can activate it by going to the terminal and typing, "defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1" (without the quotes). Some apps, like Onyx i think, have options to turn the Debug menu on to save you messsing with the terminal if it's not your thing.

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

With the earlier versions of Safari I had similar problems. Apple seems to have implemented some more functionality in the software in the more recent versions. I originally had to use Netscape :eek: to access my internet banking service (ABN Amro here in the Netherlands) even IE didn't work but luckily Apple sorted those problems out.
    I would have no problem using IE if M$ would actually update it from time to time. I've been using the same ol' version since OS10.1!!! Its just no good.

I have other issues with Safari, such as certain pages not displaying correctly. Also sites where I can't access any hyperlinks. The cursor turns into a finger when I hover over but clicking gives no reaction. Very odd indeed. Needless to say, this occurs mostly with European sites because most europeans don't know that there is a good alternative to Windoze.

Anyhow, Safari can only get better from now, so I'm happy.

13. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Safari will get better :D.

Sometimes page rendering issues could be either a combination of either safari and the web page, just safari or the web page alone.

As for internet explorer, I personally feel it is best that people on Mac stop using it because MS has stopped developing for it as well as supporting it... internet explorer faq

14. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i read somewhere that icab can get into websites that are ie only by somehow telling the site it's internet explorer. does anyone know if that's true and/or could be done w/ safari?

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Try reading the thread!! ;)

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It will never be updated.

17. coconn06 macrumors regular

Wachovia online banking works fine in Safari. I've heard so many complaints about sites not working in Safari, but ALL the ones I've used work fine. Wachovia, Citibank, MBNA, etc. Some of the largest financial institutions.

18. coconn06 macrumors regular

<rant>
    Did I mention, being in part a web developer myself, that it pisses me off that some sites "don't work" in Safari. It's one thing if a site doesn't render properly in Safari (most sites design for IE, which is crap). But there's no reason the functional aspects of sites (other than, possibly, Javascript) should not work with Safari. That just shows poor design on the part of its developers.
    </rant>

19. garybUK Guest

garybUK

It's usually when banks use ActiveX for their controls and web applications because they can link it streight into a SQL server back end. Pain in the bottom!

All my banks work fine with safari: Egg, Barclays, HSBC I suppose its just luck of the draw, there's always telephone banking :(

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hear, hear!

21. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Can you give some examples?

I also design for the web and have never had any issues with Safari. Are you using non standard coding?

As for sites not working, I use Safari everyday and have only found a small handful of sites that did not work and it just happen to be that those sites all used non standard coding methods. It is also important to mention that those same sites did not work with any of the Mozilla family browsers.

I do not want to have is sound that I am defending Safari because I know that it has had it's own share of issues but the most recent build seems to be great.

22. coconn06 macrumors regular

I realize that perhaps my "rant" was slightly unclear and could be misunderstood. So I'll clear that up: I was also defending Safari. I meant that the developers of non-standard websites, not the developers of Safari, practice poor design.

So we are in agreement about Safari and web developers using non-standard design and technology.

23. danrufus thread starter macrumors newbie

sent bug to apple.
    sent email to citibank uk.

developers, especially of large corporations, should code in a standard format.

i guess most (read all) of my frustration should be with citibank uk not apple.

daniel

24. coconn06 macrumors regular

Your frustrations should also be with Microsoft, as it's their fault web developers use non-standard technologies and design. ::coughActiveXcough::

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Is ActiveX what MS dubbed their version of Java?