I love Spotlight!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skinnylegs, Mar 27, 2007.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I really really really like Spotlight. Example.....

A customer called me today. Her name was Natasha and I had dieleted her email several days ago. While on the phone, I started typing her name in Spotlight and before I was even done typing her full name.....bam!....there was the emial message.

Sweet!

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yeah Spotlight is pretty convenient. Vista came out with the same thing too (2 years after Apple did), I don't know what it's called...

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Microsoft did NOT copy apple...remember that while Apple's search is in the top right, Vista's is in the bottom left...

4. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Too funny!

5. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

If you think Spotlight is amazing, get Quicksilver. It will blow your mind out of the back of your head.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That is the exact thing I was going to say! QS is my best friend!

Though it does not replace Spotlight (but close).

7. darkwing macrumors 65816

Spotlight sucks. It's horribly inefficient (as is much of OSX in general) and wastes a ton of CPU cycles. Last I gave it a chance, it was STILL trying to index temporary build files from gcc. :rolleyes:

Apple had a chance to get some efficient software written but I wound up working for Panasonic instead. :p

8. tilman macrumors regular

Apple is actually a late comer to the desktop seach party. Although they were probably first with complete integration into the OS. Microsoft had a downloadable "Windows Desktop Search" for quite some time, long before Vista or Spotlight came about. It started out as "MSN Desktop Search" or something like that. And of course, there is Yahoo Desktop Search and Google Desktop search, which were available as beta versions years ago. And long before that, we had smaller players, like Copernic Desktop Search (http://www.copernic.com) or X1 (which Yahoo licenses for their Desktop search product). All of them had a little search widget in your toolbar or menu bar.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Google, MSN search etc did not have built in search to explorer, like spotlight has with Finder...

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I totally know what you mean. I mean c'mon leave the gcc files alone for godsake. Thankfully it leaves the hcc and icc files alone.

11. mpw Guest

Spotlight has it's uses...but it makes me nervous :dogeyes:

Is there a way, a simple way, I can exclude a folder from being spotlit?

12. chatoyer macrumors regular

Ugh. Spotlight. After using Copernic Desktop Search in Windows for years, and then switching to Mac, Spotlight was the one thing that seriously made me think of selling the Mac and sticking with Windows. I find it rather anemic in its abilities.

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

thanks, Bill!

14. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Sure...In System Preferences > Spotlight under the Privacy tab.

15. mpw Guest

I probably could've Spotlit that! D'oh! Oh well it just proves Spotlight does have a rival, MacRumors. :)

Thanks