I love this new Trackpad!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TJunkers, Oct 18, 2008.

1. TJunkers
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I have to say it takes a bit getting use to, but I already love it. It's so smooth and easy to use, and the size of it is just great, and the fact that i have a right click by clicking the bottom right corner or by tapping with two fingers is just fantastic. And multitouch on it is just glorious!

I know they have had these features before but with the size and glass its even better! This new Macbook is beyond perfect for me!

2. Yr Blues
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

The fact that it's difficult to click the top portion sounds problematic. I still haven't tried it in person—but the right click makes it very appealing.

3. gsampson85
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I love it too! I have it set where I don't need to click, just tap where I would click.

4. likemyorbs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

same here! way better that way. i think they have it more difficult to click on top for a reason, but i cant figure out that reason.

5. Yr Blues
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Because Jobs said so! :D

I bet they could get it to click evenly because the pad is so large. You know the previous button is high off the case whereas the new track/button is sunken into the case. I kind of wish it sat higher. Makes it more buttony.

6. likemyorbs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

it really does seem intentional that it becomes more difficult to click as it gets higher up, it really doesnt seem accidental

7. staccato83
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

staccato83

You must really love it to start two separate threads within 5 minutes of one another. ;)

8. NATO
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

NATO

The trackpad 'button' is hinged at the top, so the lower down you press, the easier it is...

9. zer0tails
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I tried the new track pad today. And to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Certainly it isn't all bad as some people say. But I don't really see how much of an improvement it is.

The macbook air's track pad is still the best I think. Generous space for multi-touch, and yet there's still a button to press that doesn't take up too much space.

10. duffyanneal
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Today I was trying it out and to be honest I used it just like a regular trackpad. I left my thumb at the bottom of the pad and used it to make the click. I like it since I had a couple of MBAs with button problems after a little use.

11. zer0tails
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

zer0tails

really, what type of problems if you don't mind me asking?

12. AiralynRose
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

no way, i could never get used to the air's button! i used it in the stores a few times... the button is just too small... and i'm a girl with tiny hands!

i love the new trackpad too... i was setting up my whitebook to sell and realized how fast i got used to the new trackpad since i kept missing the button, lol

13. StingerT125
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Yeah, this is how it seems to be. The bottom of the pad is where it responds best. I have been using it just like a regular track pad/button configuration and it works great for how I use my computer. There has been no negative with it for me.

14. Kendall015
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I sold my Air to get the new MacBook, and I am a big fan of the new trackpad, but the Air's isn't that bad either. Having no buttons opens up a lot of possibilities, but I still use it with my thumb in the same place, so I guess I don't really take advantage of the new coolness. I really like the feel of it, though, and the 4-finger expose stuff is really cool when I remember. I think most people will end up using it just like they did with trackpads before.

15. Nukemkb
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I tried it at the Charlotte NC apple store today - I'm sold! Really nice!

16. mcdj
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

mcdj

Just got mine today. I'm finding the 2 finger scrolling to be a bit choppy and occasionally unresponsive. Anyone else?

17. brettinlj
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I agree that I love this trackpad. I just got my new Macbook today. I was using a 2001 vintage Vaio and the left mouse button had been broken for the last year. Because of that I was having to tap on the trackpad to click or double-click, so I find this transition very natural! I didn't even read up on the multi-finger gestures, but I'm finding them natural, like Steve Jobs read my mind and it does what I think it should.

18. alphaod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

alphaod

Are your hands clean? Also is the touchpad clean?

19. egiles
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Absolutely not at all-it is as smooth and responsive as it can be. I previously owned a first gen macbook and the touchpad on the new one is much better, and this is coming from someone that hates touchpads-I am a Thinkpad/trackpoint user since 1995.

But this one works so well that I just might get used to it.

20. mcdj
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

mcdj

Hands/mouse are clean. I think it might be the way I'm touching it...maybe resting too many fingers on it or part of my palm or something.

21. Dybbuk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I'm disappointed to hear that it's hinged. I was hoping the whole thing would be truly one button. I suppose if I'm scrolling towards the top of something, I can't just press down to click. :(

22. Yr Blues
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Can someone post a screenshot of the default settings for the trackpad? Thanks.

23. Clayne
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I'm able to click up until about half an inch to the top. MOST of it I can click if I need to. There's some resistance as you go up, but it's really not that bad.

24. GadgetCollector
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

At least they removed the button. One thing that I like about Windows laptops is, even though they have the left and right trackpad buttons, it's easier to just tap than click. Ever since I bought my Mac, I wished it had the same feature. But now I grew used to it. I still prefer tapping though. :D

25. Dybbuk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Um, you can already do this. Check your Keyboard and Mouse settings.