I Love Windows. I really do

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by farqueue, Oct 30, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

My reasons:
    1. Gaming
    2. Almost anything runs
    3. Pie charts, spreadsheets, word documents flawlessly.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes but that's not a reason for what you guys do to the sheep.

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Good for you.

I don't dig Windows and I don't dig PC gaming. Just my opinion, though. :cool:

4. bartelby macrumors Core

It's an interesting post to make on MacRumors.

I do like how PCs are mainly used as glorified games consoles now.

5. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

I Totally agree with you on that. I have a PC just for that. I never did find consoles as the 'ultimate' gaming machines. Maybe because i'm more of a FPS and online person.

6. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

7. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I love that! It seems to be all PC users can say when there's a conversation about Mac vs PC. It's like it's all it can do.

Except iLife and iWork. I really need them. To be more specific, it's the same on a Mac; almost everything does run.

In Office you mean? I have Office 2004 on my MBP and I barely notice it's running through Rosetta and it too uses pie charts, spreadsheets and word documents flawlessly.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Can someone tell me how to easily set up a Windows XP machine so that it starts up and shuts down on a daily schedule?

9. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I doubt it. :p

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

With or without using a mallet?

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Scheduled Tasks.
    3. Double-click Add Scheduled Task. The Scheduled Task Wizard starts.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Under Click the program you want Windows to run, click Browse.
    6. In the Select Program to Schedule dialog box, locate the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder, locate and click the Shutdown.exe file, and then click Open.
    7. Under Perform this task, specify a name for the task and how frequently you want this task to run, and then click Next.
    8. Under Select the time and day you want this task to start, specify a start time and date for the task, and then click Next.
    9. Type the user name and password to run this task under, and then click Next.
    10. Click to select the Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish check box, and then click Finish.
    11. Click the Task tab.
    12. In the Run box, specify any additional parameters that you want to use with Shutdown.exe.
    13. Click OK.

Of course, like many good apps, that will shut Windows down but it won't start it back up.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks. My point exactly... When we first tried a brand-new Windows box to run presentations for our plasma it proved utterly useless at the task. It was replaced with a Mac within a week which needs so little baby-sitting that I sometimes forget it's there.

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Alternatively check your BIOS. Most will allow you to set a time for the computer to start. Some may or may not do shutdown. If not use the method above to do that, although I think there may be a simpler way.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

and that comment would be directed at whom, exactly?

14. seanf macrumors 6502

Create a Scheduled Task and choose the "Wake the computer to run this task" option to start the PC (from hibernation) and to shutdown again create a Scheduled Task to run the shutdown command from a batch file. Maybe this is not as simple as OS X, but I hardly see this option as a deal breaker for 99.9% of people considering the switch ;)

Sean :)

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Point is, is that something which should be simple isn't, which seems to be a hallmark of a poor OS experience. Besides, when the machine was eventually set up to do this, it didn't work half the time.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've just spent half an hour making an Automator script that will eliminate spaces, exclamation points, full stops (periods), question marks, commas and all other non-alphanumeric characters from the file names in 1.7GB-worth of wine bottle images just so I could migrate our shared folder at work to a Windows 2003 Server from a makeshift server running OS 8.6. Don't talk to me about the benefits of XP.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

But you can make it blue, green or silver! Out of the box! :eek:

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not Windows 2003 Server. You have to enable themes first...

1. Go to the Services applet in Administrative Tools (or click Start, then Run, and type services.msc).
    2. Find the Themes service, right-click and select Properties, select Automatic instead of Disabled in the startup type box.
    3. Click Apply.
    4. Right-click the Themes service and select Start.
    5. Click OK.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

*head explodes*

*changes to Graphite, then back to coloured*

Ahhhh......

20. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Re: mad jew

That's the second mad jew induced laugh I've had today. Thanks. You've made my day so far. :D

21. Queso macrumors G4

I did a set of projects at a media company that uses PCs and Macs. Some of their IT staff decided to start putting Mac files in one of the graphics departments onto a Windows server so they could be centrally backed up. When they came across this problem, they blamed the Macs :D

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Did you punch them? I'd have punched them. :D

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Dang MJ, you got to stop saying things like this!

I almost had a heart attack from laughing so hard! :D

24. Queso macrumors G4

Nah, I just laughed in their faces and gave my usual "That's what you get for using crap like Windows" comment. :)

It was quite fun there. They had quite a big UNIX team that used to slag Windows off all the time, so the one Mac support guy they had wasn't outnumbered when the Windows vs. Mac battles came up. I never even had to participate.

25. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Aww I only have Blue and Grey. I want green! Apple... you listening?!