I made a mess out of my iPhoto library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by manic, Nov 11, 2006.

1. manic macrumors regular

Im new to mac (white CD MB 2Ghz+2GB) and although am getting along fine and loving every second of it, I ran into a few problems with the way Mac manages files.

I also bought a nifty Panasonic FX-01 DigiCam with a 2GB SD card. Took lots of pictures and also made a few movies.

Problem 1. When I hooked it up with the computer, iPhoto prompted me to import them, which I did. However, I didnt select the erase camera after importing then. But the problem came when I was editing my photos and decided to delete a few pictures that were redundant and move a batch to another folder altogether by messing with the iphoto library. the problem is that iphoto still showcased the picture preview, while it wasnt linked to the missing photos, creating a workflow problem. I then created a new library using a restore tool in iphoto. now i have two libraries and lots of duplicated pictures. Should i just wipe library one and never mess with it again? doesnt iphoto allow you to completely remove a picture? and how do I merge film rolls? some only have one picture that belong to the event pictured in the roll above, making its sole existance rather pointless. I still havent managed to do that.

Another problem is with videos. at first, iphoto didnt download all my movies into its library. I though it shouldnt, since its iPhoto, but then I started having a few movies at the movies folder in finder and other short clips within iPhoto (and browsing there seems to be easier). Where should I store my movies?

And finally, I was trying to free up some space in my HD and using a utility tool reccomended at these forums, found that my music files where duplicated. I used it to find them and deleted them after spending quite some time renaming albums in iTunes. Happens that those files where the ones itunes draws from, so i took them out of the trash but now I have to find each track individually because the link is broken (itunes prompts me to find the track on the HD). misterioulsy, all the downloaded artwork is there. I mean, i really am having a hard time managing files. probably because im used to how it is done in windows explorer. it became really messy, but i knew where they where going. with the mac, it is all pretty automatic, but whenever I need to do some manual work all I do is cause havoc because everything is interconnected. How should I proceed? how am i looking at things the wrong way?

sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

1. highlight the pic you want to delete in iphoto, and press delete or select 'move to trash'. When you're sure you definitely don't want the pic, empty the trash.
    2. To merge rolls, drag a pic or group of pics from one roll and drop them in other other.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The first rule is never to mess with your iPhoto Library. The iTunes thing is easier to deal with, but tedious as hell. As for merging rolls, you can set iPhoto to sort by roll, then just drag pictures from one roll to another.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unfortunately, this leaves a load of redundant thumbnails and stuff around. The only way I've found of cleaning it all up is to drag all your photos out of iPhoto into another folder, delete your iPhoto Library, and get iPhoto to re-import everything. This is clearly impractical on a regular basis, but if you're in a mess, as I was, it may be worth it.