I made a reverse mount for my Canon!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jared_kipe, Apr 17, 2005.

1. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I just finished up making a reverse mount ring for any Canon EOS line. It consists of the lens side of the mount glued to a thread. Now if that was it, then anyone could do it. But there is more. I can retain full electronic lens control. Yes thats right, I wire it to the front of the lens so I can maintain aperture control. I don't have any good pictures of the setup, but I do have pictures of what it can do.

Here is a shot with a 28mm at f 2.8. On a normal reverse mount, this would be all you could get. A lousy DOF of less than 1mm.
    [​IMG]
    Here is slightly better at f5.6 we can get a 2-3mm
    [​IMG]
    But here is my minimum aperture of f 22, with a very good DOF
    [​IMG]

This is almost as good as my homemade projector.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

3. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Here are some pictures of the contraption.

The business side of the connectors.
    [​IMG]
    The front side.
    [​IMG]
    A Canon EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 mounted in the middle, mount side up.
    [​IMG]
    Lens forward side up.
    [​IMG]

And a handy lens cap I made for it.
    [​IMG]

4. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Oh and according to my test, I can fill the frame with 1/2 a centimeter wide subject. That is with my widest angle lens, my 18-55mm.

5. alxths macrumors 6502

I'm sure that is a really cool thing to have made (i don't know much about cameras), but I have to say that your misleading title left me feeling very dissappionted upon viewing thsi thread. :p

6. iGary Guest

iGary

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Great job. Hope you applied for a patent on it. A truly great idea.

8. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I'm not sure what you mean, I said it was a 28-105mm that was sandwiched inbetween my device, but the device itself can fit on any lens. I love using it on that lens because the range is very good, but on my 18-55 I can make things SUPER big, but its harder to use that lens because it not only gets longer when zooming and focusing, it also turns when focusing. Not that focusing is even useful, but its kinda cumbersom. As for the 28-105mm, I like that one because you can keep a hand on the barral and essentailly it acts like a push-pull lens. I imagine at a steep down angle it might creep out though since the bulk of the lenses mass would be away from the mount.

How could I patent this? Is that even possible? Its essentially just a wire that goes from one side of the lens to another. The hard part is making it all work.