I made the switch but encountered problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamb100, Dec 26, 2005.

1. adamb100 macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I am finally a Mac User and have yet to have any reason to boot up Windows. I encountered many problems though while switching...

Like Windows, Mac/Windows file sharing blows. Too hard.
    Same for Printer sharing. Look in the mac os x documentation about windows sharing a printer with Mac OS X and you'll see how confusing it is.

Other than that though I'm lovin the virus free mac side of things. :)

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you want to put down a little cash, DAVE is a HUGE improvement for file and printer sharing with Windows.

http://www.thursby.com/

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which way are you trying to do it? Do you have a printer plugged into a Windows system and are trying to print to it from your Mac? If it's shared properly on the Windows side, then it should show up under Windows Printing in the Printer Setup Utility.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Sharing on a Mac with XP users is a snap. Exactly what are you looking to do besides sharing a directory?
    And welcome to the Mac.

5. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

For me setting up a shared printer and file sharing was a little hard. When I tried to share files on my mac with files on my pc it didint work, but my mac can access the windows shared files fine. As for sharing printers my pc also shares the printer, tried sharing the printer on the mac, confusing aswell and I just gave up.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

On my three separate computers, spanning 3 years and 3 versions of Mac OS X, I have never had sharing with XP users be a snap, especially during the browsing portion of it.

In Jaguar, the entire computer would lock up.
    In Panther, the entire computer would lock up.
    In Tiger, the aliases disappear when I click them.

Samba can't cross subnets and doesn't work properly with WINS servers, so I am limited to my subnet, even while inputting server IP addresses directly, and specifying WINS servers in directory access.

Blah. I have many gripes with Mac-Windows networking. DAVE solved all my problems.

7. adamb100 thread starter macrumors regular

I mostly had problems on the Windows side for Sharing. I told finder to connect to a server in this case my windows pc. Well Windows didnt know where the mac was so I had to play hunt.