I made the switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by THX, Jul 16, 2005.

1. THX macrumors newbie

I have been away from mac computers since the early 90's (my mom purchased a tiny black and white mac for teaching purposes). However, after 8 years with a PC, I decided to buy an IBook for my first year attending university. I thought about purchasing a dell, but I told myself I would merely be getting more of the same unless I went with an IBook. I placed my BTO order last Thursday and it should be shipping before the 22nd. When everything is said and done, it will have a 60gb HD, 512mb of Ram and bluetooth.

As a student who will be living on-campus, what accessories are worthwhile? Are there certain programs that make bio/chem/physics formula note taking easier or quick-chart applications? Also, any transportation tips (ie. new backpack, sleeve?). Any advice for not only an individual new to macs, but also to notebooks would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congrats on coming back to the light. Enjoy your new iBook when it arrives.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Congrats and enjoy.

Welcome fellow Kool-Aid drinker. :D

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The iBook scratches easily, sorta. You do want to get some type of case for it for protection. When I take mine to class, I just throw it in the bookbag along with everything else. It gets a good beating, but it still runs fine. It's not my main computer, so I don't really care, as long as it keeps running. Oh, and the little rubbery things on the bottom come off if you're not cafeful (I've lost most of mine :( ). Anyways, eventually you'll want to get up to 768MB minimum, so you don't have to always quit and relaunch programs, so in the end you'll be more productive, and have a faster computer (becuase every necessary app is always open).

You probably want to buy Office, it's like $99 or something for students (maybe it's $150?). Anyways its cheap (relatively).

Enjoy your new Mac!

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

What...slurp...Kool-Aid...gulp..is that...slurp...iGary?

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Congrats on switching back, I did about 2 years ago and i only wish I had done it sooner. I take my PB to class all the time. The best part is sitting in the middle of the classroom... all the PC laptop users have to sit along the wall for power outlets. :)

I've got a Brenthaven bag for mine, it was more expensive, but keeps it really, realy protected. My laptops about 2 years old now and has virtually no visible wear. And get MS Office.

Welcome back to enjoying using a computer

8. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i got the same computer, but without bt, its great and you will love it

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If you didn't want to drop cash on MS office, OpenOffice is free. It's compatible with MS Office. You can save in all the formats, yada yada yada. It's just free, open source, and a tad ugly on the eyes.

/mmm free.

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I DLed OpenOffice and I don't think its where it needs to be for widespread use. If I wanted my computer screen looking like crap, I'd be using Windows. Drop the $$ for Office, its worth it.

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

(re: if I wanted ugly , I'd use windows) mee-ooww!! I love it! :) :)

Yeah, OpenOffice is the ugly. IMO, it can suffice if you have to wait to buy office for some reason. My bro uses it all the time and he seems to have good luck with it.