I messed with my router, now I need help (please!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by njmac, Dec 11, 2006.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I have a Linksys router BEFW11s4 and that is hooked up with another Linksys (for Vonage) and they are hooked up to a PC. I always connect with my 12" PB G4 via airport and NEVER have had a problem. Then, I went and messed with the router and had to reset to factory default. I changed the SSID and had it not broadcast - I can't set any WEP or WPA because they are different on the mac and the router.

My mac now has a signal with the router, and after restarting the router,the pc, the mac and running network diagnostics, I CAN NOT get the mac to connect to the internet. Any ideas? I'm getting very frustrated :(

Also, I'm getting the internet on the pc.

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

can you get your mac connected to the router with the new SSID?
    is the PC connected via ethernet?

3. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

my mac connects to the router with the SSID, but won't give me an internet connection.

I don't know what ethernet is. I think the router is plugged into the pc.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

let me get this straight... your mac can connect to the router (can you login the router?) but it cannot connect to the internet

(you mess around with the router but dont know what ethernet is:confused: )

ethernet is the connection that has a connector slightly bigger than a phone jack.. most likely your PC is connected to the router via ethernet... try to connect your mac to the router via ethernet, and see if you get any internet connection

5. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

:eek: :eek: :eek: I know, stupidity - I really don't understand networking, I never should have went into the router. Ever since the day I got my powerbook (3 years ago) it just picked up the internet connection without me having to do a single thing.

So, my airport bars are full, and my router is checked when I click on the airport icon in the menu bar. So it appears I am connected with the router via airport but it is not letting me connect to the internet. On the pc which is connected by the ethernet plug can get the internet.

I can get the internet when I plug the ethernet cable into my powerbook.

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

The second router (since it was reset) is probably distributing IP addresses - you want to disable the DHCP server for this router.

[​IMG]

7. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

I have no idea what that means.. but THANK YOU! :) It worked. I am never touching that router again!