I met Steve Wozniak Today...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iGary, Apr 20, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

So I just happened to fly into San Jose today for a photo shoot down in Monterey and guess who I "run" into?

The Woz!

He was sitting in the boarding area (Hawaiian shirt and all) as I was getting off the plane. At first I told myself to leave the poor guy alone, but then I was like "When are you ever going to see Woz again?"

I just walked up and said "I'm sorry if I am bothering you, but aren't you Steve Wozniak?"

"I sure am."

"Well I just wanted to say hi; I'm a big Mac fan and noticed you when I was coming off the plane."

"Whatcha got in the incase bag?"

"12-inch iBook"

"Nice - good to meet you."

"Likewise."

I could tell he wanted to be cordial but also wanted me to get lost, too. :D

Nice of him just to say hi, anyway.

;)

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Wow the woz himself, I wish I had met him, I would have a million things to ask him.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I think I was pushing my luck as it was, and I didn't want to bug him.

My camera gear was checked baggage. :rolleyes:

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

You lucky shiznit. :D :cool:

I definitely would've got him to sign something.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

And damnit, I was totally expecting to check into my hotel room and see new PowerMacs on the Apple page!!! :mad:

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

LOL, yeah, here will you sign my Alienware notebook?

Totally OT, but has anyone else flown into San Jose? That airport is a train wreck. I wanted to stop and get a bottle of wine on the way down to Monterey just going through the BS to get my rental.

Blah.

Anyway, I guess it was worth it, but yeah, i blew it, I should have been a pushy fan boy and had him sign my iBook.

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ahhh I can see it now - Windows Users say "Who's Steve Wozniak???"

You lucky dog!

11. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, I know. I walked off the plane and bam, there he was. Part of me wishes I would have been pushier, but the other part of me was glad I just gave him a casual hello and respected his privacy.

I'm gonna drive past the Apple campus on my way back to the airport on Monday - have to get a pic of myself in front of the sign. I'm such a dork. :p

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did you get a jetway at SJC, or did you have to use the stair truck? I love SJC, but yes, it's a mess. That's what happens when the tech revolution turns San Jose from backwater to major destination in no time flat. And of course, now that they have plans for great expansion (some of which have been completed), the economy has crashed and the low-fare airlines that dominate the airport are balking at the total $3 billion price tag.

13. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Stair truck.

I was here a year ago (I come once a year) and the whole place was just ripped apart. It's still a disaster. I got on the shuttle bus, put my bags and all my camera gear on the rack, stepped out of the way, and three people proceeded to build a wall of luggage in front of me. Ugh - I'm like - can someone let me out? :rolleyes:

But yeah, enough bitching. I met the Woz and I'll be watching the waves crash on the rocks at Big Sur tonight, so no compalints.

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

SFO is no better. I need to go to Fremont often and SJC is closer but there are no direct flights from Detroit. I love how you have to wander thru the maze of the parking garage at SFO to get to the AirTrans train to take you to the rental cars. What use to take 10 minutes by bus now takes 45 minutes lol.

15. grizzlybrice macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

I'm at Cal State Univ. Monterey Bay right now. Enjoy your view, I know it is a good one.
    -Brice

16. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

17. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Yeah, I've noticed that the Bay Area really has no nice airports. I guess SFO is the best, but even that is not great. Oakland is crap and I've heard San Jose is pretty bad, too, although I've never flown there myself. Doesn't Monterey have a small airport?

Speaking of Monterey, too bad about the great white, huh? I guess it's better that it's gone, though.

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

SFO is actually a remarkably well-designed airport. The donut design with the short-term parking garage in the middle, close to all gates. And the long-term parking is close, too. But I agree about the AirTrain. That's the problem with the "aftermarket" transport system shoehorned into an existing airport. Getting to and from the AirTrain is absolutely horrendous.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Ah, the life you lead Gary. :)

Can't wait to see your photos from the trip.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The last time I used SFO, I thought the drive through the airport to get from the highway to the rental car dropoff was *insane*. I seem to remember that it took me almost fifteen minutes to get from the airport exit to the place where my car went, without making any wrong turns. Other than that, I liked the airport just fine.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats awesome, i would have had him sign something though, a good memory though

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Lucky,
    why didn't u ask him when they are updating the fraekin powerbooks! :p

23. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You know, I met him last year in Atlanta at the FIRST Robotics Competition. I actually got to talk with him a good bit, I was there with the family of a friend of mine and I had a VIP pass, so I talked with a bunch of people like him. In fact, I bet he was on his way to Atlanta, the FIRST Robotics Competition is this weekend.

24. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

You sure are iGary :p Nah, this is quite cool. Woz has major celebrity status in the Mac world. Something, i bet, Apple hates.

25. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well my flight was on Delta from Atlanta. I bet my plane was just turning back around again...