I met Woz tonight!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Squareball, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Squareball macrumors regular

So I was out to dinner tonight with my roommates and I'm sitting at the booth looking down towards the front door of the place and all of a sudden walking towards me is Woz!!! I was like "oh my god. Steve Wozniak... that's Woz! Oh my god". I seriously about fell over.

Just a couple of days ago I was reading that Steve Jobs' family lives in Palo Alto and I was like "I wonder why I never run into Steve Jobs" and then now today, there is the Woz.. whom I'd much rather meet anyways.

So he walks past me and into the bathroom and I asked my roommate if I should say something. He was like "No I don't think so" and I sat there knowing that if I didn't I'd probably regret having the chance and not taking it.

So after he left the bathroom and walked by I saw him standing at the front waiting to be seated. I kept wondering if I should do it... so finally I just said "I'm doing it" and got up and walked over.

He was with a tall blonde woman and two children in the range of 8 to 10 years old. I walk up and said "Not to intrude.. but.. " and Woz didn't hear me but the woman did and directed his attention to me. I said "You're Steve Wozniak aren't you?" and he smiled and said "Yep". I said "I just saw you come in and I had to shake your hand and thank you for everything you've done. I'm a big fan of your work" or something to that affect, I was pretty much in this state of "I can't believe what's going on" so it's a blur.

He was so nice and acted as if I had known him my whole life. He was very friendly and asked me what I did and I told him I was a graphic designer/web developer.

The young girl then looked up at me and said "Do you want to buy Steve Wozniak's chewed gum for $100".. I laughed and declined. It was really funny.

Any ways that is about it. There was more to the conversation but not much. I then told him I hoped he had a great dinner and I shook his hand and went back to my table... where I proceeded to shake in disbelief and tried to remember what was said. My roommated told me I was like an 80s teenage girl meeting the New Kids on the Block. I agreed.

You know you're an uber geek when, meeting the co-founder of Apple is the highlight of your year.

I still can't get over how genuenly nice Woz is.

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Sweet! :D

I wish I could meet Woz... he seems like a really cool guy.

3. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Congratulations!

It's good that you decided to approach him, imagine the regret had you not. :D

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

That's awesome. I know that I'd have the "courage" to go up and talk to someone like him. I have to ask though—what restaurant were you at?
    -Chasen

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If I saw Steve Wozniak walking into a restaurant, I would never be able to recognise him..........NERD! :p

Well he did say he was standing at a booth, so it probably wasn't a classy restaurant.

*prays that the answer is "Dennys" just for a laugh*

6. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

It was at a place I would least expect to run into him.

It was at Marie Calendar's on El Camino Real right off of San Antonio.

I had never been there and my roommates described it as a "slightly better dennys" which was funny and so true. The food wasn't bad but not exactly great stuff. I would probably not ever eat there again. But it was cool to say I was there as I only ever knew Marie Calendars for their frozen food. Until I moved to CA I never knew there were real restaraunts.

7. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

LMFAO that you just said Dennys while I was replying. Damn close dude.

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

MARIE CALENDARS?????????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

If I was that rich, I would be eating at a steak house everynight of the week! :D

9. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah and I had taken my ipod out of my bag before we left to go eat AND earlier in the week I had taken an sharpie out of my bag as well. Had I left those in I would have had him sign my ipod.

Ok maybe that would have been weird to ask. lol :eek:

10. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I don't know if I'm more excited for you meeting Woz, or if it's funnier that it was at a Marie Calendar's. Until then, I'll just laugh about the whole Denny's thing.
    -Chasen

11. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

What's funnier is that I have to resort to talking about this on an internet forum because most of the people I know wouldn't get how cool this was. They'd just say "oh that's nice. So the other day I was ... blah blah blah"

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Glad to hear that Woz continues to be the nice, down to earth, guy that his reputation says he has always been. Of the late 1970s computer icons, Woz remains the only one that most geeks could (or maybe that should be should) actually hope to be like.

B

13. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

My roommate said
    "You've obviously never eaten in Palo Alto then ;)"

Seriously the food here is pretty terrible around my house. It's hard to find a good place to eat and NOTHING delivers. I mean nothing. Not even chinese! WTF eh? The only good places are a little out of the way for me to drive because I'm rather lazy. but look... laziness finally paid off! ;)

14. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

The woz the legend himself, I would have loved to meet him but it would prolly be a bad idea cuz I would have bugged him for hours!!!

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that's amazing...i am, on average, in palo alto one or twice a month...for ongoing medical purposes, and sometimes spend days at a time there...i will keep a lookout ;)

i heard he lives in los gatos, near san jose but maybe he was visiting steve jobs or something

the last time i saw a celebrity, it was in a small ten table chinese restaurant...richard chamberlin, i think, right before the release of "the last samurai" and i wanted is thoughts on it since he was the original "western" samurai in "shogun"

he was with what appeared to be his boyfriend/mate so my wife and i didn't want to bother him...she is a fan of "thornbirds"...and being in such close proximity to him was uncanny for an extended period of time