I Might Be Prom King! How do I dance? Edit: I won guys!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appleguy123, Apr 12, 2012.

1. appleguy123, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay, I've got a bit of a situation. I'm really shy(actually diagnosed with social anxiety disorder), so I've never been to a school dance before.

Today they announce prom court, and by some miracle I made it! I told people that I was going to prom, and I guess I'm a pretty likable person. I don't know if I should be excited or nervous. I'm leaning towards excited now, especially if I can learn to do this dancing thing right.

People told me that I have to dance with the prom queen if I win. What type of dance is this usually? Are there any videos that can help me learn it? If I get to be prom king, I don't want to be embarrassed, so please help!

Prom is Saturday, the day after tomorrow. Court was just announced today. :eek:

2. macrumors 6502a

soloer

If I knew you were old enough, I'd suggest you have a couple drinks then just get out there and do whatever feels natural.

However.. I imagine you're not. So, I'd just plan on the dance with the queen being a slow dance where you can just get away with shuffling your feet and doing a few turns.

As for the rest of the night, just watch some other people. I myself am not a big fan just because I've never done much of it and don't want to look like a yutz out there. However, the few times I do dance, I just coordinate my upper and lower body movements with the beat of the music.

3. Guest

IIRC, it is usually a slow dance. I would assume the Box Step or something else as simple would suffice. The gentleman leads after all. ;)

As an aside, you've never taken or heard of Cotillion?

4. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'll go Google box step.

No, I have no clue what cotillion is.

5. Guest

I was just curious. Myself, and a majority of my friends, took it for two years in middle school. That's where I learned how to slow dance, eat formally, make toasts, etc...

6. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Is that normal in public high schools? Right now I'm wishing I had it.

If I embarrass myself, I'd have to hide forever! :eek:

7. Guest

No. IIRC, it was usually Saturday nights for an hour or two every other week during the school year. At the time, our parents made us take it. However, it's come in useful in several situations as I've gotten older.

8. macrumors 601

mscriv

9. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Thanks! There's a related video by the same guy on slow dancing that was really helpful, too.

Given that I'm not in the "cool" clique, I won't likely know the prom queen. What is the appropriate way to dance with her and not seem creepy? Hands on waste, intertwined with hers, or what?

10. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Probably one of the cringe-iest things to watch would be a high school prom king and queen doing a dance! Never had anything like that over here. Instead, we had a good old ceilidh which involved everyone.

See if your high school would be willing to trade your usual prom tunes for a big of a highland fling. You'd be guaranteed to pull in a kilt.

11. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Tell me about it!:eek:

12. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Learn how to grind a slow dance. If she didn't like you before, she may afterwards. ;)

Of course, she could also scream for you to get away from her.:) But hey, you're young, so go for it. What can they do to you?

13. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Any last minute tips? :eek: Lots of people told me that they would vote for me. It's really odd, I think I might win! I'd be the nerdiest prom king ever. Time to call Guinness methinks.

14. Guest

eric/

Just refuse to dance. Dancing is way too mainstream as it is.

15. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think Carrie was set-up the same way.

Beware of buckets.

16. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

My daughter has a similar diagnosis. My advice would be practise with a relative or friend first in private. If you don't know the girl, she will probably be quite nervous too. Keep your hands in the right places (waist not backside) and a bit of a gap between you. When other people dance see what they are doing and copy them. Keep the conversation going and see where it leads. It will not end up like high school musical. Good luck.

17. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

:eek:

18. macrumors G5

jav6454

Dude, you can hunt Werewolves and solve Mac problems and even participate in the most heated arguments without loosing your cool, yet have problems dancing?

Goes to say, everyone has a limit. In all seriousness, box step. Also, ask a close girl friend of yours to help practice and teach you if anything...

19. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

20. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Congrats and congrats on the hot date.

21. macrumors G5

jav6454

I think a congrats is in order... no go get her tiger... The Queen I mean, your majesty. :)

22. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

My date might not like that. :)

23. macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

24. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Get off your phone and attend.to the WW game. Priorities :)

25. thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I actually skipped the after parties for you guys. Be thankful, I'll be back to a computer by midnight my time.